Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Too good a deal to pass up and it does hilarious stalled-on-the-brakes launches haha - 180-200wkw is a doddle and if I get a high 12 out of it you'll hear me lol-ing from miles away

All I need now is some frangipani stickers for the back window and some horrific chromies

Not really today- but just got back from a week in Wanaka. Took the car from Christchurch down to Oamaru then Moeraki, through Palmerston, Alexandra, Cromwell and to Wanaka. Took it over the crown range to Queenstown for a day and then back home through trough the Lindis Pass, Tekapo and Geraldine. The car was awesome, even fully loaded it handled really well was fun to drive and the family had a comfy ride. I still had enough power to overtake easily. Only thing was it did smell very hot and slightly oily one time, and at the top of the crown range s bends it smelt hot and I could smell coolant, but both times temp was fine and car drove normally and all fuids were at normal levels. I will give it a nice clean tomorrow and take it in for a final check before my warranty runs out. In short - best car I have driven for this type of journey.

took guard off; straightened dent, paint cracked used touch up pen, spilt on myself, made it look worse.

10/10 successful day. Now to see how much some paint or getting the guard resprayed is gonna be.

Also; I LOVE REMOVABLE INDICATORS! oh man, early lights with separate indicator sections bloody rock!

94 Leone said:
took guard off; straightened dent, paint cracked used touch up pen, spilt on myself, made it look worse.

10/10 successful day. Now to see how much some paint or getting the guard resprayed is gonna be.

Also; I LOVE REMOVABLE INDICATORS! oh man, early lights with separate indicator sections bloody rock!

Should heat it up first will help stop the paint cracking, would be keen to see a pic of the mess from spilt paint pen lol, happens to me all the time

94 Leone said:

Not smart. In future, Heat it up using a heat gun. Most paints arn't really flexable and tend to break when under pressure.

Fixing paint cracks isnt a huge issue though, personally id spot spray it. Provided you can source the colour, a simple light sand, spray and buff should bring her up nice.

If the whole guard needs a respray i can talk you through doing it yourself, which i would recommend considering most shops would want about $500 for that.

hijacka said:
Should heat it up first will help stop the paint cracking, would be keen to see a pic of the mess from spilt paint pen lol, happens to me all the time

I know heating it up helps; but I dont have a heat gun lol. I am gunna get it resprayed; I have all the gear at home; just a matter of sourcing the right paint; have e-mailed local paint shop to see if I can just score some colour matched paint; or how much they'll charge for it to be resprayed... Definitely keen to give it a go myself.

Oddly enough the touch up dried silver on my black shorts. But because it's self glossing stuff, so you don't need to clear coat it, it ends up drying darker, irritating.

Ive had a bit of experience with spraying/panel repair and the great thing to remember is you cant really get it wrong.

Should you stuff it up which you probably will on a first attempt, simply allow to dry and either spray over or sand back if its really messy and have another try.

Make sure if you're doing the whole panel that you sand back well and apply a couple layers of primer which can be bought an any repco/supercheap auto, this will provide a good base for your top coat- Which you just about always need a clearcoat for. Dont believe any of the 'no clear coat needed' rubbish on the side of cans. A truely professional finish cannot be achieved without it. Once you're happy with the clear coat start buffing with a light abrasion polish and work it into a real shine.

Suby Manic said:
Ive had a bit of experience with spraying/panel repair and the great thing to remember is you cant really get it wrong.

Should you stuff it up which you probably will on a first attempt, simply allow to dry and either spray over or sand back if its really messy and have another try.

Make sure if you're doing the whole panel that you sand back well and apply a couple layers of primer which can be bought an any repco/supercheap auto, this will provide a good base for your top coat- Which you just about always need a clearcoat for. Dont believe any of the 'no clear coat needed' rubbish on the side of cans. A truely professional finish cannot be achieved without it. Once you're happy with the clear coat start buffing with a light abrasion polish and work it into a real shine.

I'm a man of many layers. In fact back in high school when we made drag racers I had my 17th base coat of primer on and was actually told I wasn't allowed to put the planned 20. (Wanted a flawless finish) then only got three top coats. And a couple clear

Oh yeah I am a firm believer in clear coat. The issue with 'no clear coat needed' stuff is it ends up looking different in the light.

No I won't use 20 primer coats on this panel(if I can get the paint for a decent enough price-if its more coat effective to let the P&P guys do it, I'll take that road.)

94 Leone said:
I'm a man of many layers. In fact back in high school when we made drag racers I had my 17th base coat of primer on and was actually told I wasn't allowed to put the planned 20. (Wanted a flawless finish) then only got three top coats. And a couple clear

Oh yeah I am a firm believer in clear coat. The issue with 'no clear coat needed' stuff is it ends up looking different in the light.

No I won't use 20 primer coats on this panel(if I can get the paint for a decent enough price-if its more coat effective to let the P&P guys do it, I'll take that road.)

Wow 20 coats of primer? that would have almost doubled the weight of the car!

Fair enough, from one painter to another.. Good luck!

Im currently having a ball,

Attempting to dismantle the back seats to get a rear strut brace in and every single bolt has been cross threaded.

I swear every one ive tried to take off of this car has been stripped. Goodness knows what idiots owned this thing before.

Suby Manic said:
Im currently having a ball,

Attempting to dismantle the back seats to get a rear strut brace in and every single bolt has been cross threaded.

I swear every one ive tried to take off of this car has been stripped. Goodness knows what idiots owned this thing before.

Someone who has an issue with nuts. :P