Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

The Single Turbo Conversion Thread 2.0

ReubenH

Hi everybody!

Awesum article man! Im a sooby noob so would of been a handy read 2 weeks ago, just done a conversion myself, put a motor from a 95 Gt wagon into a 92 wagon, manual conversion but blown motor and only cost 300 bux. Came with 2 spare TT motors 2! I used the IM,vf10 turbo,water/air IC and EM from the 92 and had 2 get creative 2 make everything fit. Lol

Blocked off the oil and water lines that went to the old primary turbo,hooked everything back up,turned it over for a quick test and she fired up sweet so i shut it back down to put the radiator and IC back in and fill the radiator. Tried starting it again and when it finally fired it blew heaps of white smoke,idled high an shook like a wet dog. It also dumped about 10L of gas in the exhaust manifold and it smelled like petrol was getting in the radiator somehow 2. Ended up replumbing the lines i blocked and it run sweet,no codes,no smoke or funny leaks,boosts ok but still idles high. Went for a test hack which went nice and the next day it started spittin out codes 35 and 11,still goes fine tho so im not sure whats up there. Gonna pull the motor back out next fine day and fix the thrust bearing on the clutch and change the timing belt so any sugestions on things i can check while its out would be great and hopefully you'll see a burgundy 92 gt wagon hard on your tail at the next track day! Lol

1st time i ever worked on a sooby motor 2! Wot an experience

• 5 weeks later...
 mattapo said:

So if im reading this correctly, I have a 4 plug 95, i can use a 3 plug and use the 3 plugs that plug in and change some of the wires round and im all done for the wiring, no need to re loom or anything?

Yes, takes a bit of work to re-pin the plugs and may need to add one or two extra wires in the engine bay but its do-able.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, you gotta re-pin most the wires, it's a hell of a job. I'd recomend cutting and soldering though, that way you can lengthen and shorten wires as desired, and if you fuck up, you can still colour match wires. If you re-pin and mess up, the only way to find the wires is with a multimeter into the engine bay into sensors and such, and it makes a mess of the loom (tangles it up something chronic)

I say this cause we're doing a conversion on such a car, and we went with the re-pinning job. Now we have a tangled loom and electrical gremlins, it's going to be a bloody mission to sort it all out.

There's also the adaptor option, making up an adaptor out of a broken ECU and a bit of loom taken from pick-a-part. It takes a few days to solder up, but is tidy and extremely easy to troubleshoot with. Not for the faint heated though, it'll teach you how to make a real tidy solder, i can tell you that now!!

I was thinking is it much of a mission swapping the primary and secondary turbo's over (or replacing primary with larger turbo) and leaving the exhaust bypass closed thus running single but only secondary/larger turbo - Any ideas?

also you could still run sequential, ok slightly more initial lag but the smaller turbo as secondary would spool quick enough to reduce VOD and hopfully that larger turbo is giving you the flow for better mid range torque.

BTW - wanna get more midrange power outta the waggon but on budgets tho cos I wanna replace my FZR with an R6 or GSXR600

Juzz976 said:

I was thinking is it much of a mission swapping the primary and secondary turbo's over (or replacing primary with larger turbo) and leaving the exhaust bypass closed thus running single but only secondary/larger turbo - Any ideas?

also you could still run sequential, ok slightly more initial lag but the smaller turbo as secondary would spool quick enough to reduce VOD and hopfully that larger turbo is giving you the flow for better mid range torque.

BTW - wanna get more midrange power outta the waggon but on budgets tho cos I wanna replace my FZR with an R6 or GSXR600

FYI the primary and secondary's are pretty much the same size as each other. You get more grunt up top not because of a LARGE secondary turbo, but because you have two small turbos feeding the motor.

ReubenH said:

yeah, you gotta re-pin most the wires, it's a hell of a job. I'd recomend cutting and soldering though, that way you can lengthen and shorten wires as desired, and if you **** up, you can still colour match wires. If you re-pin and mess up, the only way to find the wires is with a multimeter into the engine bay into sensors and such, and it makes a mess of the loom (tangles it up something chronic)

I say this cause we're doing a conversion on such a car, and we went with the re-pinning job. Now we have a tangled loom and electrical gremlins, it's going to be a bloody mission to sort it all out.

There's also the adaptor option, making up an adaptor out of a broken ECU and a bit of loom taken from pick-a-part. It takes a few days to solder up, but is tidy and extremely easy to troubleshoot with. Not for the faint heated though, it'll teach you how to make a real tidy solder, i can tell you that now!!

Did you guys not label all the wires first ;) Especially helpful to use either the original pin positions or better yet, the intended pin positions to make the job easier. Then leaves rather easy evidence for where to put them back to if you want to go back to original or if you're chasing gremlins.

If they are labelled well, you can spread them into their intended groups (i.e. 3 plugs) to make the mess alot less messy when sticking the pins back into the plugs. I think I extended about 3 wires and that was it. Saved soldering up a bunch of wires and potentially introducing an unwanted voltage drop into any of the sensor wires.

• 3 weeks later...

just a thought. what about doing a parallal conversion as such. remove the change over valves and do the wiring and ecu change but leave the piping where it is with removed change over valves.

could be a quicker temp way to do it as a stop gap till ya pull your motor.

• 7 months later...

Heya,

i am doing a similar conversion 97 RSB to single turbo

I am going to use the twin turbo manifold loom on a single turbo manifold so will be coil on plug coils

the only thing im stuck on at the moment is where to locate the o2 sensor as i am using 250t headers and it is mounted on the rh side of exhaust where as the twin turbo has it on the left and the sti has it after the turbo

i am using the twin turbo loom and i dont want to cut and patch it up is it possible to make up my own plug from another 02 sensor and plug to lengthen wires so it will fit with the 250t headers or will it mess with the voltages ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

wish me luck, i've got everything infront of me, about to make a loom adaptor for BG5a -> V3 sti

some conflicting information online regarding pinouts etc. see how i go.

oh, randomly, you don't need to remove the cam-cover to get the primary oil feed banjo off an EJ20H. :)

• 1 month later...

hello guys lm new here. gtb etune manual 2001.

currently half way into single turbo conversion. Can someone shed some light on this. Can someone give some advise on ecu please. My ecu says 1X on the cover. Anyone know lf this will work with single turbo or do l need a sti/wrx ecu. lf so which wires do l need work with. l dont have a degree in uni but lm up for the challenge.