Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyre condition VTNZ vs VINZ

Purchased a new car recently and was concerned about the tyre condition

doing something like this

http://thumbsnap.com/sc/1KfXOIsp.jpg

on all 4 tyres on both the inner and outer water channels. Tyres are also quite noisy and dont seem to have much grip in the dry (even with our hot roads at the moment)

Dealer sent us to VINZ to get an opinion which was

> VINZ "tyres comply but if getting a warrant we would reccomend they be replaced before next warrant"

so based on that the dealer said no to sorting us out, but said if we wanted to get a 2nd opnion it was upto us. So off to VTNZ for a $29 safety inspection which said

> VTNZ "tyres in poor condition, replace within 100kms"

So does VTNZ word trump VINZ ? or is it going to be a he said she said type of affair ?. Already got new tyres, so need to figure out approach to get at least 50% of the value back from dealer.

Would have been nice if the dealers AA appraisal highlighted it, but it didnt, had we known it needed $1000 in tyres it may have influenced our decision as looked at another car same day with 20,000 less kms for the same price ($1000 taken into account). live an learn I suppose, hopefully the car dealer comes to party, 50% would be great, be nice to leave them good feedback.

slystiguy said:
At my work we won't put anything on the yard that has less than 4mm tread. I think it's fair to ask for a partial refund as long as you didn't go out and buy super pricey tyres

Interesting enough their AA appraisal says, 4mm all round, our VTNZ inspection says "4mm,3mm,2mm,3mm, excessive shoulder wear, and overall poor condition"

Definately didn't go for Pilot Sports :) ended up going Nexan Nfera SU1 @$260 per tyre fitted. If the dealer came back with $500 id be happy. Waiting to hear back from them.

• General Member

$1k on a set of tires? phwoar, thy'd be putting Ditchfinders on them if they get the choice

vinz/vtnz they are currently wofable so there is no argument in my mind, tho I havnt paid more than $700 for any cars I bought in the last 10 years so well out of touch

Which AA did they get it appraised at? I'd be hitting them up with a "please explain" too

For all we know they've swapped the tyres with another on the yard between the appraisal and you getting it. I've seen far shadier practises than that so it's plausible

"Technically" the car was and is wofable now

In practise it's pretty average conduct

Joker said:
$1k on a set of tires? phwoar, thy'd be putting Ditchfinders on them if they get the choice

vinz/vtnz they are currently wofable so there is no argument in my mind, tho I havnt paid more than $700 for any cars I bought in the last 10 years so well out of touch

These are 245/40/19 so yeah price is up there. You can get decent tyres for $800 when you get down to Subaru size 17\18". (Falken ZE912 for example $800 a set).

Wofable or not the AA appraisal was incorrect and the tyres are certainly not great considering we paid $17,000+ for the car.

Had we known the extent of the tyre condition and having to drop $1000 on tyres, then we would have went for the other one we were looking at in Hamilton with lower kms as $1000 put it in the same price bracket.

Essentially we relied on an accurate AA appraisal \ safety inspection, and you'd tyres would be pretty important.

Marky said:
Which AA did they get it appraised at? I'd be hitting them up with a "please explain" too

For all we know they've swapped the tyres with another on the yard between the appraisal and you getting it. I've seen far shadier practises than that so it's plausible

"Technically" the car was and is wofable now

In practise it's pretty average conduct

AA are being tight lipped and giving us the run around. The tyres are a full set of matched tyres and wear matches the milage history \ use based on japanese service records. Essentially its done about 8000 kms in 4 years. Tyres are 4.5 years old, so condition is definitely conducive of age and lack of use.

If the car is WOFable its no wonder we have so many accidents in NZ, at the moment the tyres are so dry and hard I can break traction in the dry by putting foot down (in an auto !!)..imagine what happens if it rains.

• General Member

yea scary stuff with the 12 month wof thing (some people wouldn't know what the passenger side of their car looks like)

but great discussion / informative posts & let us know how you get on :P this may help car buyers in the future

Definitely reason to supply (imo) a near full refund. 260 for a 19 isn't exactly expensive,I think re003 is up around 350 a corner for reference.

Also pretty sly to put old ****ty tyres on it and expect not to have a problem later. Check build date of originals if you still have them.

They really needed to do these things before selling the vehicle so they can work it into the sale price otherwise it comes straight out of what ever profit they made from the sale.

Still this shouldn't be your problem, and we definitely wouldn't let that through at our work. Suspicious that they marked the tyres at aa vehicle check as 4mm but yours came back different. Either they never really checked the vehicle properly or they're in each other's pockets.

Buyer beware there's a lot of con artist sharks in the automotive industry

slystiguy said:
Definitely reason to supply (imo) a near full refund. 260 for a 19 isn't exactly expensive,I think re003 is up around 350 a corner for reference.

Also pretty sly to put old ****ty tyres on it and expect not to have a problem later. Check build date of originals if you still have them.

They really needed to do these things before selling the vehicle so they can work it into the sale price otherwise it comes straight out of what ever profit they made from the sale.

Still this shouldn't be your problem, and we definitely wouldn't let that through at our work. Suspicious that they marked the tyres at aa vehicle check as 4mm but yours came back different. Either they never really checked the vehicle properly or they're in each other's pockets.

Buyer beware there's a lot of con artist sharks in the automotive industry

Tyres were made 2010 and 2011, got them off yesterday, the 2010 ones had points worn to the wear blocks, and excessive shoulder wear with hardly any sipes visable. So yeah 4mm... More like 1.5mm

Do you still have the original tyres? Take them to a reputable tyre shop (maybe the one you got your replacement ones from) and see if they can help out with an independent evaluation of the tyres. There must be something in the Warrant schedule that would cover the cracking in the tyres.

SpeedySub said:
Do you still have the original tyres? Take them to a reputable tyre shop (maybe the one you got your replacement ones from) and see if they can help out with an independent evaluation of the tyres. There must be something in the Warrant schedule that would cover the cracking in the tyres.

Got a VTNZ inspection that says poor condition replace within 100kms. from a WOF perspective they are barely a pass as cracks don't seem to be down to the cords, but esentially within 100kms possibly 500kms there will be no sipes on the shoulders and they will be below the wear markers.

From a consumer guarantee perspective I would expect to get more than 500kms out of tyres on a car I paid $17,000 for.

Think we are covered, just need to lean on the dealer to front up with 50%

heylinb4nz said:
Got a VTNZ inspection that says poor condition replace within 100kms. from a WOF perspective they are barely a pass as cracks don't seem to be down to the cords, but esentially within 100kms possibly 500kms there will be no sipes on the shoulders and they will be below the wear markers.

From a consumer guarantee perspective I would expect to get more than 500kms out of tyres on a car I paid $17,000 for.

For that price I would expect either brand new or nearly new. Also I'm not sure if this applies but doesn't the goods need to be 'Fit for purpose"? obviously these weren't. Good luck

heylinb4nz said:

I'd be hitting them up for the full cost. If you don't ask, you don't get I say.

Read them this bit from the CGA

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/for-consumers/law/consumer-guarantees-act/guarantees-for-goods#acceptable

[h=2]Goods must be of acceptable quality[/h]'Acceptable quality' means that goods must be:

• fit for their normal purpose
  • safe

• durable – last for a reasonable time

• have no minor defects
  • acceptable in look and finish.

When deciding whether goods are of acceptable quality, the test is whether a reasonable person would find the goods acceptable taking into account:

• the nature of the goods
  • the price paid
  • any information on the goods or the package
  • anything said by the manufacturer or retailer about the goods
  • all other relevant circumstances