Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Kol12's not quite right B4

Kol12

• Admin

Kicking in around 5k is fairly normal. What do you mean its hard to get there? You trying to say it struggles to keep the revs rising? Can't they hit like 160kph in 3rd when wound right out? Never had any over taking issues in my old one. Its not an auto is it?

No it just takes a bit to get up to second turbo when overtaking sometimes. I usually drop from 4th to 3rd to overtake so when in 3rd revs are about between 3-4000 then it's the push from there to 5000 that's a bit slow sometimes. It's all probably completely normal though I suppose.

• Admin

Na not at all.

It'll rev to 4kish on the primary, then have the VOD, basically where it opens the exhaust valve that feeds the secondary which helps it spool up, the consequence of this is in stock form it drops the boost pressure from the primary. So then after around 4.5k it keeps going with both, the primary and secondary turbo's, which is when they start to make the real power. So other than that roughly 500rpm patch you should never have any noticeable drop in power throughout the revs

Probably worth making a separate thread for this since its a bit off topic. And if yours is struggling to boost over 2.5k you've probably got a real problem

3.5k to 4.5k is my VOD range, it is definitely flat during that range, feels like an NA 2.5 or 3 litre. Post 4.5k I am off like a rocket, the faster the car gets, the faster I accelerate.

For example, first gear is a bit meh, second gear not bad, third gear is weeeee and 4th is limiter pegging/boost cut.

That's the LOL part of the TT.

It's fun to drive but the newer single turbo is easily the better motor. It would be interesting to see what a full VVT enabled engine could do with the TT setup tuned correctly.

• Admin

Wouldn't have considered it all that flat. Mine used to only lose a couple of psi. More like a really big stumble. Only lasts a second or so. The big problem with them was when accidentally shifting down into the VOD, then you'd have essentially nothing for a good 4-5sec

Mine drops to 10-11 psi through VOD where peak is nearly 20psi on secondary which is a decent contrast. It's all relative, as I said VOD feels like a 2.5 or 3.0 NA engine relative to the 15-20psi 2.0 from about 5krpm.

As you say, shifting into VOD sucks but you learn to drive around it or through it.

I would love to tinker and tune my setup a bit more but I think I already have 95% of the potential out of it and the hours and $ to get that extra 5% I think could be better spent on my other car and gaming heh.

GorGasmSpecB said:
3.5k to 4.5k is my VOD range, it is definitely flat during that range, feels like an NA 2.5 or 3 litre.

I think this is the same for me except that my secondary turbo isn't kicking in until 5500 rpm? :confused: Seems quite late, does it need adjusting?

I have no trouble getting boost at 2500 rpm.

Andy_Mac said:
So you have boost at 2.5k, whats it doing at say 3k?

Just revving along I suppose. Is there actually any active boost after 2.5k? I mean does the primary provide power through the rest of the rev range before hitting the second?

The main thing that doesn't seem right is my 2nd turbo coming on so late (5.5k?) I'm not really getting the boost I need to overtake early enough.

• Admin

Yea it definately should have boost after 2.5k. Are you saying it has no boost by feel or do you have a boost gauge installed?

Thats what i was saying earlier. It shouldn't die off at all until the VOD, where it should still be making 10ish psi depending on what exhaust you have.

What revision is the car by the way? A,b,c,d?

Edited by Andy_Mac

• Admin

Yea you're pushing **** uphill trying to just gauge it based on feel. To much going on with these cars to just be guessing.

You may not be feeling the secondary really kick till 5.5k but chances are its still creating boost from 4.5k

Even a cheap repco/supercheap jobbie will give you a clearer picture than nothing at all.

On the plate in the engine bay its the letter that follows the be5

Is there a way to get the 2nd to kick earlier? I'll have to check my engine bay tmrw.

I probably should look at sticking a boost gauge on. Is gauge only really any good for determining how well the turbos are functioning?

Edited by Kol12