Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Selling a car - tips ?

heylinb4nz

So, i'm selling one of my cars (not the Subaru). shamless TradeMe plug in 3,2,1 - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=954244166

Just wondering if there is anything I should add or remove from my advert ? currently have 14 watchers, but no bites yet.

a) would the fact I had a brand new engine fitted matter \ affect peoples interest ?

b) should I list mods, or just leave them out ?

c) are my pictures adequate ?

d) MOST important, does my price sound fair ?

Based on the others for sale which are mostly high kms, tiptronic and dont have the nice Recaro seats, I thought $12,000 was quite a fair price.

Just read through, my 2c. U listed too many mods without saying how you feel when driving it, make the reader quite lazy to read all of them. I suggest you should write how awesome is the car, how you care about it, the driving feeling, few main mods, then when they come to see it, you can list all the mods later.

Brand new engine definitely raise people's interest, i not in the market for your car so I don't know but just list the price you think it is fair (not too high, not too low). May take a while to sell your car imo

Edited by pmkhoi

pmkhoi said:
Just read through, my 2c. U listed too many mods without saying how you feel when driving it, make the reader quite lazy to read all of them. I suggest you should write how awesome is the car, how you care about it, the driving feeling, few main mods, then when they come to see it, you can list all the mods later.

Brand new engine definitely raise people's interest, i not in the market for your car so I don't know but just list the price you think it is fair (not too high, not too low). May take a while to sell your car imo

Thanks for the tips, have compacted up the list a bit more and put some more emotion \ feely into it :)

I was initially reluctant to list new engine as I thought that may put people off, but often on TradeMe they are 2nd hand low km, or rebuilt. So I thought mine being literally new and dealer installed might be a point of difference compared to the 80,000+ kms one selling for same price on TradeMe.

Personally I hate when people write about their feelings when selling a car, short version is you can't win either way

I always just talk the simple things up - YEARLY WOFS WOO - CAMBELT DONE WOO - LOADS OF TREAD YUSS - GOES LIKE A CUT CAT OH YEEEAH

Then list the technical stuff for the ones who will care about it

You can't go too far wrong, thing that always gets my goat is when people write a bare minimum of info "yeah 2l turbo goes hard, interior ok or whatever also has this weird fault where the dipstick flies out under boost but my mate tells me it's sweet"

To be fair those little cars are hard case little pocket rockets, just very um... polarising

Marky said:
Personally I hate when people write about their feelings when selling a car, short version is you can't win either way

I always just talk the simple things up - YEARLY WOFS WOO - CAMBELT DONE WOO - LOADS OF TREAD YUSS - GOES LIKE A CUT CAT OH YEEEAH

Then list the technical stuff for the ones who will care about it

You can't go too far wrong, thing that always gets my goat is when people write a bare minimum of info "yeah 2l turbo goes hard, interior ok or whatever also has this weird fault where the dipstick flies out under boost but my mate tells me it's sweet"

To be fair those little cars are hard case little pocket rockets, just very um... polarising

for sure, definitely a love hate thing with the Colt. I've had people call it a nana car and shopping basket, but the look on their faces when you start it up and drive it into a corner at speed is gold, they corner surprising well for such a tall narrow car. One thing I certainly would miss is the uniqueness of it.

I have managed to narrow my next car down to quite a unique specd 2007 Audi TT Mk2 (3.2 V6) failing that a 2004 SLK350 AMG in manual (only one in NZ for sale).....but if I miss out on either or both, then I'll settle for my Angry little Colt a bit longer :)

Advertise it in other places too such as autotrader and Mitsubushi enthusiast's sites too. can't have it advertised in enough places in my opinion. But i suppose it depends on how quickly you want to sell the car.... :)

As i have found with many things on trademe is that most people want everything for almost nothing........ :)

just my thoughts.... :):)

Steviep168 said:
Advertise it in other places too such as autotrader and Mitsubushi enthusiast's sites too. can't have it advertised in enough places in my opinion. But i suppose it depends on how quickly you want to sell the car.... :)

As i have found with many things on trademe is that most people want everything for almost nothing........ :)

just my thoughts.... :):)

Yeah got it on AutoTrade, MIVEC Forums, Toyspeed etc. Might try and find Mitsubishi forums as well

Good luck, the main kiwi mitsi forum died a while back

Not big on your two options buuuut least they're something different, something to be said for going off the beaten track (for NZ). I'd be looking at the ones with 2 more doors, and cylinders if it were me haha

Marky said:
Good luck, the main kiwi mitsi forum died a while back

Not big on your two options buuuut least they're something different, something to be said for going off the beaten track (for NZ). I'd be looking at the ones with 2 more doors, and cylinders if it were me haha

Would so love an RS4 :) but my budget is strictly set at $22K. If I were to wait another 2-3 years I may be able to get into a TT RS (5 cylinder Turbo 255kw) amazing car....but Im one of those "want it now" kind of people :)

Change the wheel color orange looks awful and its bound to put buyers off perhaps black would be better, also the first thing you read is you want to sell asap to buy a Audi(remove that bit) that only tells me its a boring car to drive and i to feel like buying a audi after reading that, ditch the stereo install pictures!

shine the car up and take it to some nice spots for pictures/photo shoot, having picture of the car at a gas station isn't really ideal and neither is your own drive although seeing it looks like a nice area might be an advantage. ultimately you are probably trying to attract a female drive so nice shiny pictures that say fun times will work lol.

Edited by hijacka

hijacka said:
Change the wheel color orange looks awful and its bound to put buyers off perhaps black would be better, also the first thing you read is you want to sell asap to buy a Audi(remove that bit) that only tells me its a boring car to drive and i to feel like buying a audi after reading that, ditch the stereo install pictures!

shine the car up and take it to some nice spots for pictures/photo shoot, having picture of the car at a gas station isn't really ideal and neither is your own drive although seeing it looks like a nice area might be an advantage. ultimately you are probably trying to attract a female drive so nice shiny pictures that say fun times will work lol.

Orange wheels is what attracted me to the car in the first place :), trust me when I say they grow on you, I could offer to change the wheel colour for perspective buyers ?? as Id like to keep them orange if it didnt sell.

Removed the audio pics :)

Shine the car up ?? I spent 4 hours last week buffing it with a high speed and Meguiars ultimate compound. But yes I should park it next to the Waikato river and take some nice nice pics (mabey let the handbrake go and get some $$ quicker :) ).

LOL on the female driver comment, but dont forget the other target male market, husbands who's wife wont let them own sports cars due to having to cart kids around. Gets you your performance fix without having to buy a people mover or boring low powered shopping basket :).

loner said:
You are selling to girls... so leave the mod list out completely and talk about how much fun it is... and how practical - take photos all

the storage compartments and vanity mirrors.

I spent 1 week re-doing the Ver R trim package (Metallic Red) I wonder should I have done it pink ? Perhaps do a theme car ?

https://camilleraymundo.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/pink-hello-kitty-devil.jpg

or full ZOmbie ??

http://s375.photobucket.com/user/monthly5/media/20140907_111140_zps7b84a3f4.jpg.html