Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best Tuning Option For 2003 WRX STI (V8)

Niran

Hey guys!

new to the forums. I've just purchased a 2003 STI done 125k, only had it for two weeks. So nice! :)

Its got a turbo back exhaust, hence the boost is spiking to 1.5 bar in some cases. Which is why i want to get it tuned. I've been reading the forums both here and the American NASOIC ones too. The general consensus i am finding is that people advise against getting boost controllers, and rather recommend getting the factory ECU tuned. So I have decided to get it tuned, and here is where i get stuck! I don't have a huge budget, but here are the options I have found:

1. Tune through a guy that 'knows his stuff' - Uses ROM Raider and will plug into factory ECU and remap. He recommended getting an aftermarket boost controller to help regulate boost on high gears under more load. $300 for tune + Boost controller & Install. So maybe $600 total

2. Plugin tune through 'Tune Technic' - They are a mobile company that will use a baseline tune based on the mods I have and modify the tune to exactly suit my car. Sounded promising. $900

3. Dyno tune factory ECU through 'Torque Performance' - Most of you will know these guys. Really positive reviews with good safe performance gains. Most expensive option and will cost $1300.

What would you guys recommend I do? I'm probably not going to be modding the car hugely in the near future, so i need a tune that's going to be reliable and not blow my motor, at the same time not going to cost an arm and a leg! Appreciate any feedback :)

• Admin

The guy who "knows his stuff" doesn't "know his stuff" if he recommended an aftermarket boost controller, the factory ECU plus a 3-port boost solenoid is capable of rock-solid boost control.

The mobile guys, stuff paying $900 for something that isn't a dyno tune, that's very close to dyno tune money. EDIT: They are basically the first guy, but with a sign-written van.

The dyno tune is a dyno tune and will give you the best result, the best reliability, the best fuel economy, the best power, and the best car.

boon said:
The guy who "knows his stuff" doesn't "know his stuff" if he recommended an aftermarket boost controller, the factory ECU plus a 3-port boost solenoid is capable of rock-solid boost control.

The mobile guys, stuff paying $900 for something that isn't a dyno tune, that's very close to dyno tune money. EDIT: They are basically the first guy, but with a sign-written van.

The dyno tune is a dyno tune and will give you the best result, the best reliability, the best fuel economy, the best power, and the best car.

+1 Get a dyno tune

I was looking in to the mobile guy but I wasn't confident in using him once i started an email conversation back and forth.

For only a couple hundred more go for the dyno tune.

boon said:

I disagree about some of this. Fuel economy and reliability are best checked on the road not dyno. Best power/torque the dyno wins every time.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah gonna be pretty tight to try get the dyno tune aye. Would i be able to get a more stable boost by just replacing the stock solenoid like you mentioned? And then get the tune done a bit later?

Option D: You could always do it yourself? The cable and a wideband sensor comes in under $600 and can be redone an infinite number of times

You can't just swap the solenoid either, you need to tune to suit it, otherwise there's no change

I guess my main issues is i cant afford a proper dyno tune right now, and I'd rather do few more mods to the car before spending $1300 on a tune, to make it worth my while. So, what options do i have to stop the boost spiking due to the exahust, without requiring a tune?

Is that effectively manual boost control? I'm still quite new to all of this, from what I've read, it's really hard to get manual boost control right? And very easy to damage the engine by not setting it up right?