Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Couple of CEL code questions

HellRaizer

I'm working on a friends V7 WRX as the check engine light has been on for a few days.

Using the black plugs to check the codes as my OBD-II scanner won't work with it and keeps coming up with 2 codes, the first is code 61 "Inhalation valve solenoid"

As the car is only making 6-7psi of boost* would I be correct in thinking that the "Inhalation valve solenoid" is the boost control solenoid?

The other one is what is really starting to confuse me as it seems to be code 129?? 12 long flashes then 9 short.

*I disconnected the lines from the solenoid and tried running just the wastegate pressure and I still got 6-7psi from it and I have been lead to believe these things should be making about 13.5psi from factory?

Sweet so it is likely to be the boost control solenoid causing the CEL to be on/giving the 61 code?

I'll have to borrow a better gauge to double check what boost it's making as it's only got a SCA Caliber one in it, but either way I would think the boost would be different with the control solenoid disconnected, not to mention it feels slower than my old BG5 wagon did!

So I've been working on it again, found it had no restrictor in the wastegate line as the old owner had taken off an external gate and not used the factory lines when plumbing the stock gate back up.

Made a 1mm restrictor for the line following a size chart I found online.

Still only got 6psi boost, removed the solenoid and checked it is opening when 12v is applied, it is. Took the car for a drive with the hose from the solenoid to the wastegate line left off, with the restrictor in place the car was making 10psi.

So any ideas on why the car isn't opening the boost control solenoid?

Limp mode?

Still getting code 61 which I'm fairly confident is to do with the boost control and the strange 12 long, 9 short flash code after reseting the ECU with the green/black plugs.

I could be completely wrong here but I thought you needed to get a proper scanner to get the proper codes on 01-onwards, they won't give out normal codes like older models and you need the PXXXX OBD-ii code to find out what it's actually meaning?

I think "inhalation valve" might be a code meant for the TT motor from memory

I'm refusing to google this

Not opening solenoid, of course yes it's in limp mode the Check Engine light is on which does sort of kinda semi hint at a problem so stop fanging it

Ah ok, I had been misinformed that it was V8 onwards that had to be done with an OBD-II scanner and not the green/black plugs.

My ELM327 scanner won't communicate with the ECU for some reason which is why I have been trying to do it with the plugs, will go see if I can use a decent scan tool today.