Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best BL/BP Legacy Model?

Skinon!

Hey All,

Time has come to get another Subaru! Currently have a '05 BL 3.0 Bspec and I'm looking for a '07-'08 Legacy... Preferably a 6-speed black leather example.. There seems to be so many different models around it's hard to find out what ones are the ones to go for!

Is the 6-speed the one to go for?

Is there any 'special' editions to look out for?

Is the Si drive any good?

Is it worth looking for one with the Mcintosh sound systems? (Gotta have good sounds)

And does anyone know any issues to look out for?

My 3.0 B4 has had nothing but tyres and was brought with 4,000k's on the clock, now has 141,000k's... Most reliable car I've ever had haha!

Thanks for any info , much appreciated!

Edited by Skinon!

• Admin

SI drive has its moments but isn't all that revolutionary. Always have mine in S#, but fuel economy isn't a factor for me since I don't drive it every day, and thats for a GT-B.

Personally i'd stay away from the mcintosh. Has almost no connectivity and makes putting in an aftermarket headunit alot harder. Easier to get one with the base stereo and just put a better unit in.

Right, interesting about the Mcintosh. Good really as it makes it easier to customise. Is yours a manual? Fuel economy doesn't bother me too much. After owning an A8 Audi 4.2 I'm pretty sure nothing can faze me haha..

• Admin

It was a good stereo but without bluetooth/aux/usb it really was hopeless for anything other than cd's. Some 07/08 models can have aux installed though. It is possible to use the mcintosh with aftermarket HU's but its not the simplest of installs.

Yea 6-speed manual. Haven't tried an auto one so can't comment on how they drive.

I just went from a 2004 Forester STi to a 2004 BP5 3.0R Auto... I'm actually really impressed, still has somewhere around the 240-250hp mark and pulls like a train.

I do miss having the control of the manual trans though, the tiptronic does have a bit of latency and feels lazy.

But zero complaints from me having had it only a week.

Right well I'll not worry about the Mcintosh, My 3.0 its not an 'R' I don't think... It's got B4 on the sills? Has got just the standard stereo which goes good enough I spose. Will definitly be upgrading the new ones. Its an auto, which is really good apart from just has to be put in 'sport' when going up hills.

Those STI foresters are nice, rather hard to find. What was it like performance wise compared to an equivalent model STI sedan?

Ah just checked out your garage thread Andy_Mac, Nice wagon. Yea it is hard to find a 6-speed Black leather, I want the gunmetal one like my current one. One perfect one on tardeme except it's got 169,000k's on it http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=895176362 pretty much exactly what I want. But lowered on SSR Professor Sp1's. This one has the Mcintosh tho. They prob all would if I wanted Black leather 6-speed right?

The Forester was great. Definitely hard to come by so it was tough handing over the keys but needed the extra coin back. Performance wise it was great though, but definitely different the WRX STi. Handling was great for a small SUV style car, the 2.5l engine paired with the smaller vf41 turbo meant the power delivery wasn't as aggressive though. It was certainly fast but didn't leave you sucked back into your seat like the WRX can when you really go it. Would definitely own one again but a version 8 WRX STi really is my dream car.

Ah interesting, I spose wouldn't be much to get one of those foresters becoming a bit more aggressive. Love the Version 8! I'm still tossing up whether to spend the extra to get one... although you can find decent examples for 15-17k A white one with the aggressive spoilers would do me!! But the stealth luxury of the GT can't be overlooked... Decisions decisions...

Yeah its a bit over priced, it might sell for that much but he'll be waiting a while, especially when you can pick up a sub 100,000km GRB STi from a dealer for almost less than that.

But it is exactly what I'll be buying when I get back into the expensive market again. It looks like a stunner!

Edit: Referring to the v8 STi link on previous page :)

Edited by Guitar_Guy

• Admin

Thats a damn good price right there as long as its mechanically sound. Heated seats aren't all that great. Only ever used mine a couple of times. Certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker atleast, they don't come up looking that nice for that cheap often.

Depends if they want to go for the turbo route or stick to the 3.0r

Edited by Andy_Mac

Just one comment on the Mcintosh, it's not the end of the world if you want to upgrade it. I did mine, just takes a bit of patience and the ability to solder rca jacks onto the existing wires. However if you plan on upgrading the amp/speakers/sub anyway then you're best off with the kenwood.

If you were wanting to keep on the 3.0R road there's always this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-921320079.htm

Has an updated head unit as well as some mean perks. But it's a pre facelift, not an 07-08

True about heated seats... but even if I don't use them every day, it's a nice option to have handy specially in winter - or this morning. *shivers*

Edited by SpecB

Ah that Legacy Wagon is perfect! Yea that's a nice colour, I have the lighter silver on my current one but the darker looks real good. Might be going for damn cheap too. I'll hold of till the perfect one comes up I think... If a Mint white V8 sti pops up that isn't 27k I could be swayed...

My opinion of 3.0 vs 2lt turbo is if you want a awesome daily driver that's very reliable with 10k services. The the 3.0r. If you want more tune ability and upgrades get the turbo. Factory the 3.0r manual is equally fast as a 2lt turbo tiptronic car. the 3.0r is good for towing.

On the Mcintosh system you can get a unit called Anycar MP3. Place in Christchurch sell them ($150) google it. Plug in play unit, allows you to run USB sticks and also has Aux In (also a Bluetooth model available). You press the CD button on headunit a second time to flick between changer and the MP3 unit.

Bearing in mind it only supports 6 folders and 99 tracks per folder.

gotasuby said:
My opinion of 3.0 vs 2lt turbo is if you want a awesome daily driver that's very reliable with 10k services. The the 3.0r. If you want more tune ability and upgrades get the turbo. Factory the 3.0r manual is equally fast as a 2lt turbo tiptronic car. the 3.0r is good for towing.

Having owned a 2004 GT for 4 years and 30,000kms id say they are equally reliable, we only service ours every 10,000 kms and its been ECU tuned and Subtech piped from day one we brought it. (181kw at wheels, which equates to well over 215KW at engine).

Beyond 150,000 id be wanting the 3.0R though (lack of turbo)

Some of the 3.0R guys overseas are getting > stock GT performance through ECU mapping, front pipes,exhaust and cold air intake. Our second car will be such a 3.0R....if i can find a buyer for my Ralliart Colt

Having owned a BP5 GTB for nearly ten years, and 100,000kms, I wouldn't be disparaging it's reliability. It has been off the road once for cambelt, and that was it. The VF38s on autos are apparently not terribly long lived, but that probably comes down largely to treatment and servicing (or lack thereof).

gotasuby said:

Ha funny, I test drove a manual 3.0r and an Auto turbo back to back. Manual 3.0 was definitely faster.

I probably should have changed the title to best TURBO model... As in there are some finicky models with subarus, like some with bigger brakes and 6-speeds instead of 5... I already have an '05 3.0 B4 but want a turbo one, just need to know the best spec to buy... Must be manual and black leather...

I owned both a Manual BLE and an auto BP5 at the same time and performance was roughly the same. The turbo has more torque through the mid range. Both used about the same in gas as well.

Both about as reliable as each other to be fair.

The 3.0 was fun enough but on the whole not that fast. Turbo manual tuned FTW.