Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GC8 stage 2 tune

timmy31

Hey guys,

I currently own a version 4 STI, i have done most of the bolt on mods, Exhaust, Front mount, intake, MBC, EWG, etc and am currently contemplating whether it is worth investing in a Link G4 ECU, getting injectors, fuel pump and tune.

Since stock GC8 blocks are only able to withstand about 220kw to 240kw is it a worthwhile investment on the ECU, Injectors and Tune? Im guessing it will cost anywhere from $3000 to $5000 for a decent job. Is that amount of money worth the extra 50kw or so?

Or should i just save up my funds into investing a later model Suby or even an evo if i am after more power.

Thanks in advance.

timmy31 said:
I was just using what evowrx said in his thread 'How to get power out of your WRX/STI'

If you read that thread why did you make this thread. :P

Your block will match injector and turbos limits. Link+tune = 3k and give another 30-40wkw with heaps better curve.

timmy31']
[quote name='timmy31 said:
Hey there,

I have seen your GF8 wagon that was tuned to around 220kw by a link g4. Just wandering if it was worth the upgrade from just the stage 1 breather modifications. Like was it a huge noticable difference with the VF turbo./QUOTE]

3k for 30-40wkw biggest bang for buck mod on stockish sti. No brainer and makes car a lot more fun.

Sounds awesome!, ATM i have a gc8 v4 STI, with full 3 inch exhaust turbo back, front mount intercooler, Tial external wastegate, manual boost controller, VF22 Turbo, running 15psi, so im guessing im currently at 180kw. Looking to get a deatchwerks fuel pump, link G4 and 1000cc injectors and lastly a tune.

How much power do you think i am maxed out at with the vf22? and is there any other modifications i should make before i tune it?

Thanks in advance

Ill answer here instead of pm.

You are limited by you shortblock period. Adding injectors, turbo will be no benefit as your block cant handle the pain.

Buy a g4, 3 port solenoid, iat, 2.5-3 bar map sensor, fuel pump then get it tuned.

As for power average stock sti running 16-18psi on 95-98 makes 160-180wkw once tuned with breathing mods it will make 200-230wkw on 20ish psi. Numbers are numbers its all about drivability and limited by block/injectors/turbo anyway. Have to change all 3 to make a difference.

throttlehappy said:
No need to get a Link these days when ESL offers tuning solutions on the stock pre-98 ECU's via daughterboard. Even have dual map options(98 and E85 or a fuel economy low boost tune and an aggressive big boost tune in one tune etc)

Thats all cool. But find a tuner who wants to touch it in NZ...Eculabs do V5/6 but again whos tuning it and need to send a donor ecu to France...

Easy option Link. Local support and anyone will tune it. Doesnt take half as long because they know the software inside out. Price is high granted but they work well and plug in.

If you can tune yourself its well worth looking at.

evowrx said:
Ill answer here instead of pm.

You are limited by you shortblock period. Adding injectors, turbo will be no benefit as your block cant handle the pain.

Buy a g4, 3 port solenoid, iat, 2.5-3 bar map sensor, fuel pump then get it tuned.

As for power average stock sti running 16-18psi on 95-98 makes 160-180wkw once tuned with breathing mods it will make 200-230wkw on 20ish psi. Numbers are numbers its all about drivability and limited by block/injectors/turbo anyway. Have to change all 3 to make a difference.

Thanks for your help evowrx.

For the $ and that sort of power I'd rather do a ej207 and ecu swap. The modern engines with AVCS are so much better than the v4 engines... Even a v4 engine with an ecu, injectors, turbo and tune for ~240kw is going to have way less midrange than a well sorted version 8-10 engine that can achieve the same power.

Optical said:
For the $ and that sort of power I'd rather do a ej207 and ecu swap. The modern engines with AVCS are so much better than the v4 engines... Even a v4 engine with an ecu, injectors, turbo and tune for ~240kw is going to have way less midrange than a well sorted version 8-10 engine that can achieve the same power.

Not many cbf with reflash stuff these days. Cost more than 3k for ej207+ecu+tune and associated sparky work. Still limited by tiny turbo avcs or not seem to make 140-160wkw@4k and feck all spool difference.

If going bigger turbo avcs is all win the later longbocks are good kit.

• General Member
 GC8E2DD said:
In case anyone wasn't around at the time and is interested in that option, here was Brad's: http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?610-My-Type-R-Thread-V8-Sti-Type-R-SOLD-New-owner-update-30-5

Was such a sick car!

+1 Link, local and easy if a little expensive. Second hand ECUs can be had for a good price then find a good tuner for the right price and your on. I found my ECU for $800 and tune was circa $700 off the top of my head. Few years ago now as well.

evowrx said:
Still limited by tiny turbo avcs or not seem to make 140-160wkw@4k and feck all spool difference.

In regards to this, Brad's appears to have made closer to 170kwatw @4k rpm? And that was with the VF37, and before the motor rebuild. That seems pretty solid! Probably more than my car makes at peak.