Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Higher engine load than normal when crusing WRX STi Version 8

Hey guys,

Got a weird one, started some time ago..

When doing 100-110kph she hovers around -1psi to 1psi boost. it used to sit around -8 to -6.

Im sure this is the reason why shes worse on fuel. Ive changed spark plugs, cleaned the air filter and AFM.

It is defiantly not just reading incorrect because I can hear the turbo spooling to.

Any ideas anyone? or know of a way I can check for error codes?

thanks

nah was never that low, has an electronic boost controller in it, so wastegate is definitely closed. I haven't noticed heaps of brake dust on one wheel or anything like that.

Hand brake still works and I've put a few thousand k's on it like this so I don't think its that.

• Admin
 A_Tiny_Chipmunk said:
Come on boon, not helpful lol

Sorry, haven't had my coffee yet.

But seriously, put the car on axle stands or a hoist and see if one of the wheels is hard to turn.

Turbos are pretty dumb things, the only real way (short of anti-lag) to get them to make more boost at a given rpm is to increase the load on the engine.

boon said:
Sorry, haven't had my coffee yet.

But seriously, put the car on axle stands or a hoist and see if one of the wheels is hard to turn.

Turbos are pretty dumb things, the only real way (short of anti-lag) to get them to make more boost at a given rpm is to increase the load on the engine.

Yeah exactly, so there's more load on the motor. I'm trying to figure out why :P

Unless i get the whole car off the ground, wont they be hard to turn anyway?

Could there be anything wrong with the motor you reckon?

• Admin
 A_Tiny_Chipmunk said:
Yeah exactly, so there's more load on the motor. I'm trying to figure out why :P

Unless i get the whole car off the ground, wont they be hard to turn anyway?

Could there be anything wrong with the motor you reckon?

Yes. Jack the whole car up.

I can't think of something wrong to cause it to make more boost at a given RPM. Otherwise you would have a bunch of rally teams lining up to replicate what was "wrong" with your motor.

EDIT: It could be something in the driveline but I suspect you would hear/feel it if it was creating enough friction to make a difference.

Seriously, check all of your brakes. I'm betting it's a sticky handbrake or caliper.

Leaking fuel injector maybe. I had a lower injector seal blow out on the motorway and boost wouldnt go under 5psi the rest of the way home

You'll have top feed injectors though so one would have to be stuck open by some debris...

chulozumo']Did you fix that leaky nipple from hampton? Fully dont remember

****ing cheeky **** hahahahaha

Yeah i did, that was just a the brake caliper - and was doing it before this

[quote name='Optical said:

Leaking fuel injector maybe. I had a lower injector seal blow out on the motorway and boost wouldnt go under 5psi the rest of the way home

You'll have top feed injectors though so one would have to be stuck open by some debris...

possible, would have to the most minute leak though wouldnt it?

Edited by A_Tiny_Chipmunk

lachlan said:
checked the tire pressures and wheel alignment ?

is it running on all 4 ?

do you rekon your foot is harder on the gas pedal ? or the engine is doing it on its own

Yeah it feels ok other than that, power feels good, foot doesn't seem any harder, but it could be, would be such a small mount extra i would think.