Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Breaking Into My Coupe

So I must be the most terrible car thief in New Zealand. I just spent the last forty minutes trying to open the coupe with a coat hanger. I thought it would be easy; long bit of strongish wire with a hook on the end; a big flathead screwdriver to lever the window open a bit, reach for the lock and pull right? Hrm, I just can't get the lock to budge. And I'm scratching the crap out of the window surround, not to mention the wince inducing cracking type sounds the window makes when I lever it out to give some wiggle room to the wire.

My battery has gone completely flat. The car has no external door lock barrels. I can't figure out how to pop the bonnet without destroying my grille, or cutting the bumper. I can't reach up to it from the bottom as the bumper returns beyond the radiator support. I can open the boot - still has barrel - but I can't think of a way past the back seat since all four bolts are in, and it is hooked over the top as per usual installation.

I need to get the battery out so I can charge it! Any suggestions? I'm trying not to break anything.

I wedged the window open with screw driver and used a wedge door stop to hold it open a decent amount. You can pull the glass more than you think!

I then used a coat hanger bent in to shape to pull the lock towards me. Scratched the **** out of the plastic lock though.

I'm trying to pull as horizontally as possible - down where the trailing edge of the window meets the door - the hook just scrapes over the lock lever. I might have another go tomorrow in the light and lever it open some more. Half the time was struggling with trying to do it without pulling the window too much and hooking the seat/ armrest/ door lever/ you name it haha.

• General Member

MORE heh, I use wooden wedges, got my whole arm in a old BC window once & just used my hand

steel ruler with slot cut out like a slim-jim? tho if you removed locks then chances are the arm isn't there to pull on

pull on the door handle should open too no?

My guess is aftermarket alarm for locking and unlocking, so at a guess you have to try and pull against the actuators, this is why you cannot open the locks.

may not help now but maybe fit an external battery point so you can charge/jump it next time :)

• Admin
 evowrx said:
Ring boon.

I pm'd him last night.

If the alarm has aftermarket door pumps then he's pretty koozed for getting the door open, but there are alternative options.

Didn't want to put it on the open forum, may as well just write a guide for car thieves while I'm at it.

• Admin
 ADIKT said:
I imagine this would be pre school stuff to any semi decent thief

Pretty much, the older guys just teach the young ones then they go boost cars because even if they get caught they'll just get "referred to youth services" (again and again)

They have some pretty crafty tricks though.

• General Member

best value for money @ PaP

deleteing nothing (is good suggestion but as mentioned not exactly rocket science

Decent Alarm & Insurance minimum GPS if your really keen to get it back

there was a youtube vid of a members car being 'broken into' in front of a bottle store using one of these methods, will see if I can find

edit : pretty sure its in this thread http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?36860-wrx-theft-attempt

Edited by Joker