Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Are nz'ers pussies?

Yea but a lot of homers pushing massive boost and not blowing **** up it cant be all knowledge or luck. Been doing a lot of research on avcs i always wondered how you map for the ve of engine when tuners here dont bother with egt and egbp. Sure there is signs in gate duty etc but surely its better to know what youre working with.

Yup, EGT really important especially when running E85. I've heard for Subaru you have to tune individual cylinders while monitoring each cylinders egt if you really want to make some good power. I'm getting some egt bungs for my new manifold once I've sorted my car out.

us also has a lot more trial and error tuners, guys who will push a block until it pops, then start again at the last revision before it turned to ****. more money over there = more dyno time. i'd love to see a tuner over here (apart from raijin, who does) using their own cars to learn on, huge amounts of dyno time and research....

plus the US gas is generally cheeper and better quality. their e85 is fantastic, and cheep as f**k too

Minaj said:
I think US tuners are much more knowledgeable compared to our tuners we have here.

+1

Just my 2 cents but I think the tuners in states have a lot more experience and knowledge.

For example, I was on the Evolutionm forum the other day and they are pushing crazy power on stock 9 turbo which people over here achieve with FP Red or GT3076. Not only that but over here the tunes are extremely laggy for even a FP Red whereas in the states they achieve full boost close to stock turbo on FP Red.

Tunes over there are quite cheap too. The tuners try to extract as much power from the setup as possible whereas over here they play it overly safe.

If I was to get a tune in the future, I would definitely go the remote tune route for my STI especially if I was looking at close to 300kw on stock block.

KingCole said:
+1

Just my 2 cents but I think the tuners in states have a lot more experience and knowledge.

For example, I was on the Evolutionm forum the other day and they are pushing crazy power on stock 9 turbo which people over here achieve with FP Red or GT3076. Not only that but over here the tunes are extremely laggy for even a FP Red whereas in the states they achieve full boost close to stock turbo on FP Red.

Tunes over there are quite cheap too. The tuners try to extract as much power from the setup as possible whereas over here they play it overly safe.

If I was to get a tune in the future, I would definitely go the remote tune route for my STI especially if I was looking at close to 300kw on stock block.

This comes down to economics... hands up his has the money to risk their block more than once every few years? Most people in NZ want reliability over all out performance.

loner said:
This comes down to economics... hands up his has the money to risk their block more than once every few years? Most people in NZ want reliability over all out performance.

Knowledge is key. Back in 03 they had avcs pretty dialled over here people either havent played with it enough or it just gets to difficult to spend a few days figuring it all out. Without logging egbp it would just be trial and error. Then all the good tuners over here have too much work so as soon as you ask a couple of questions they just ask do you want a tune or not? Prob a bit more receptive when you actually turn up for a tune and they know youre actually a paying customer. Very few results publicized over here which makes choosing a tuner not that theres even much of a choice, a lot harder.

loner said:

To be honest, you are taking a risk of blowing the motor either way when you get a tune but the risk is lower when you have someone who has a lot more knowledge than your average tuner. Some of the tuners on nasioc give you all the details you need to make up your mind and they answer all your questions regardless if you choose to get a tune from them or not.

Just because the power is high (on stock or built block) does not necessarily mean there is no reliability. The good thing about the tuners from overseas is that they proudly share most of their results on the power bragging page so you kind of get an indication of what type of power you can expect out of a certain setup but you just don't see that power here even though we are at low altitude.

Maybe because NZ'ers realise that the numbers are entirely academic in the real world. Nobody but you gives a flying **** that your road car made 300kwatw on someone's dyno. Except maybe the guy trying to make 305 for absolutely no reason.

GC8E2DD said:
Maybe because NZ'ers realise that the numbers are entirely academic in the real world. Nobody but you gives a flying **** that your road car made 300kwatw on someone's dyno. Except maybe the guy trying to make 305 for absolutely no reason.

I thought loren was going to be that guy...

The actual number is insignificant. Some people care for the build process and getting to better results. Some people wonder why clocks go clockwise.

evowrx said:
I thought loren was going to be that guy...

The actual number is insignificant. Some people care for the build process and getting to better results. Some people wonder why clocks go clockwise.

We're a tag team... and it's his turn to bring the pain.

Yeah, Loren is busy out patrolling the streets with a shotgun.

I still don't get why you would care about only [sic] making 320kw when some foreign forum fighter wrung 350 with the same hardware. You can't really use any of that power anyway. Unless you are racing. And then there's this little aspect called the driver. And regulations. And conditions. And if you ARE racing, and there are NO regulations, then I'm sorry, you are simply out of all contention if looking for answers on an internet forum in lieu of a Scrooge McDuck pile of cash monies. Just thinking out loud really. The power figure on a dyno seems so orthogonal to the uses of that power you may as well be lamenting our failure to get the chromiest chromies. I understand the scientific curiosity aspect; which is why I said it's academic.

If a cars safer and making more power purely through the tuners knowledge/experience thats interesting and what this is about. How fast it goes around a circuit means zero to how safe or well tuned the wagon is like you said its driver dependant. Tune on a circuit car vs standard road usa warrior or 400m weapon is heaps different too. Main point was boost not manywkw.

You dont have to race a car to be an enthusiast you could be into licking windscreen wipers or vacuuming car mats. Some people like to make cars faster its their thing now stop bein mean.

I'm not being mean. I was honestly trying to answer your thread spawning question about NZ'ers. One, we are cynical people who don't see the point, and two, we don't have mountains of rich people willing to tune Subarus to the point they blow up. 300 odd million people vs 4. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, I'm trying to make you feel better =]

Give me an ecuddle then.

People arent blowing up cars left right and centre in the states or here for that matter. People that blow up subarus are generally tuning with a boost tap and a box of codys.

• Admin
 evowrx said:
People arent blowing up cars left right and centre in the states or here for that matter. People that blow up subarus are generally tuning with a boost tap and a box of codys.

If you read around the dregs of nasioc, they melt motors left, right and centre. Often at very ordinary power levels and small turbos.

Seriously, everyone on there making good power is on like their 4th block. Or more.

This means that collectively they understand the failure modes of the EJ20x motor and EJ25x quite well :)

They have, over a few hundred million people, quite a lot of folk who are dumb/rich enough to melt a few motors and the ones that have a few braincells to rub together end up learning from it.

Also parts over there are cheap and widely available so you can just throw motor after motor together.

Further, kiwis don't run heaps of boost because the head studs are a limiting factor and nobody that isn't running a built motor can be bothered pulling it down just to do the studs.

And if you've spent $15k building a block and you can get 300wkw reliably then with our standard kiwi tight-arse-ism you don't want to risk your investment by pushing for 400wkw.

And as for not using it, heck I probably use every single flat-four-produced killawasp my car makes at least once every single time I drive it. I don't have to be on a track or break the law to do that, either.

No ej25 should ever be pushed with a vf. Even at stock boost pressures and the cat only makes it so much worse. Wonder why theyre mire unreliable in stock form than with a decent flowing turbo. Head studs well they def dont seem to be cause of failure on the gnarlier stock longblocks over there but even rexleggy had heads lifting didnt he with the smaller arp's?