Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Has anyone lifted their Foz?

MatdaymonV2

Hey all long time.

Just wondering if anyone in the wider community has given their Forester a lift? I know, I know, probably the wrong crowd to be asking this too since most people tend to go lower rather than higher but figured I'd ask.

Reason being I've been given the go-ahead by the boss to buy another SF5 (mainly to shut me up about ones on the motorway) for use as a fun weekend warrior/adventure camping car and after a bit of YouTubing I've come across some Aussies/Americans with 1"-2" lifts on their Foresters doing some amazing things.

TL;DR Anyone lifted a Foz in NZ and know where I might get a kit to do so myself?

Cheers,

D-Style said:
Old Man Emu / King springs do a 1" lift for a Forester. Could get these via a local ARB agent.

I have seen some other Aussie Subis with a 2" lift,But these were with parts sourced from US or Custom modified parts.

I like the sound of this. From what I've seen so far there is nobody in NZ that engineers the strut tower spacers for them (this is how the Aussies/Yanks get a 2" lift and I'm wary of ordering bits from overseas)so I'm glad to hear I can get the springs at least here!

Just bought shiny new thing #1 for the Mrs so Foz is next on the list! Might even be lucky enough to get it before FlatNats

from what I read when I was researching making my Foz handle better, foresters don't like being lifted, the rear trailing arm angle pulls the wheels forward and alters toe. I seem to remember one car a guy has raised for offroading being too dangerous to drive on the open road, in his words. He may have raised more like 3", i think he had to cut guards too to because he fitted bigger tyres....

have you had a look on ozfoz etc? i would have a look but I cant remember my login.

king springs also do a raised spring, just need to replace the rear shock to accommodate....

nztintin said:
from what I read when I was researching making my Foz handle better, foresters don't like being lifted, the rear trailing arm angle pulls the wheels forward and alters toe. I seem to remember one car a guy has raised for offroading being too dangerous to drive on the open road, in his words. He may have raised more like 3", i think he had to cut guards too to because he fitted bigger tyres....

have you had a look on ozfoz etc? i would have a look but I cant remember my login.

king springs also do a raised spring, just need to replace the rear shock to accommodate....

Solution for that- Custom trailing arms :P

nztintin said:
Nah custom mount for the trailing arms to get the geometry back in line.

somehow I dont think Matt will be getting custom **** made tho.

See; If I wanted to lift, i'd get those spacers and lift springs., and get some mounts for trailing arms made up. - would be well worth it imo.

Yup have looked at OzFoz / Forester.org and the it seems most of the kits they use have spacers for the trailing arms too. That said a lot of them don't come with them so it seems to depend on the kit and the amount of lift.

Apparently if you lift more than 2 inches you start getting problems like those you mentioned and need more custom work like extending the steering and other fiddly bits- higher than I think I want to go.

• 4 months later...

I did 4 inch lift in a 99 Impreza and yeah you wouldn't want to go more than a couple of inches if you wanted it get it certified.

Easiest way would be spacers above struts and under subframes no more than about 2 inches.

The Foresters and Outbacks have an approx 1 inch shim under the front subframe and probably the same in the rear to accommodate the extra suspension height. You don't get any more travel only ground clearance.

You have to be mindful of axle angles, you have to drop the diffs down the same height as you lift the body up.

Lots of things need modding that you never think of if you're going large, eg shifter and steering shaft.

I had to do radiator hoses and some engine earths too.

• Admin
 Siman said:
Lots of things need modding that you never think of if you're going large, eg shifter and steering shaft.

I had to do radiator hoses and some engine earths too.

This is par for the course on any real lifted 4wd anyway, shouldn't be seen as an obstacle.

Actually when I lifted my Surf getting the transmission and transfer case shifters working nicely again was probably the biggest pain of all.

EDIT: As per any independent suspension vehicle the real limiting factor just becomes what CV angle you can manage. With a proper 4wd you can just drop the diff/axle but it's a bit harder on a Subaru where the front diff is in the gearbox.

Edited by boon