Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Surge Tank Setup

nismovzr2003

Hey guys,

I've had a look through previous threads regarding surge tank setups, however there really hasn't been write ups regarding what goes where.

At the moment I believe the following is how things should be setup;

1. Surge tank, bottom outlet(s), plumbed into the external fuel pump(s). Does it make any difference whether the inline fuel filter is pre or post external fuel pump? From there, can either use existing fuel line to engine bay or route teflon braided hose or flexi hose, as these types of hose do not leak vapour?

2. Return line from pressure regulator can be plumbed into the top of the surge tank?

3. two ports near the top of the surge tank; one for fuel in from main tank, and one for return to main tank?

Does this sound about right, or is there another setup method I should be looking at?

Has anyone used any other pumps besides the Bosch 044? I hear they are rather noisey.

Fuel filters, any particular type, micron rating, etc that should be used?

Cheers.

nismovzr2003 said:
Hey guys,

I've had a look through previous threads regarding surge tank setups, however there really hasn't been write ups regarding what goes where.

At the moment I believe the following is how things should be setup;

1. Surge tank, bottom outlet(s), plumbed into the external fuel pump(s). Does it make any difference whether the inline fuel filter is pre or post external fuel pump? From there, can either use existing fuel line to engine bay or route teflon braided hose or flexi hose, as these types of hose do not leak vapour?

2. Return line from pressure regulator can be plumbed into the top of the surge tank?

3. two ports near the top of the surge tank; one for fuel in from main tank, and one for return to main tank?

Does this sound about right, or is there another setup method I should be looking at?

Has anyone used any other pumps besides the Bosch 044? I hear they are rather noisey.

Fuel filters, any particular type, micron rating, etc that should be used?

Cheers.

I believe Koom was making up some internal fuel filter sock shrouds to help with fuel surge? Is this still the case? If so, how much? Would this be a better option than spending a ton of money on an external surge tank setup?

Cheers

You are on the right track... an external pump and surge tank is a complete cure for surge... Koom's internal baffle thingy is only a partial fix.

You can have filter where ever you want really... depends what you think is likely to need protecting... just engine, or external pump as well.

loner said:
You are on the right track... an external pump and surge tank is a complete cure for surge... Koom's internal baffle thingy is only a partial fix.

You can have filter where ever you want really... depends what you think is likely to need protecting... just engine, or external pump as well.

Sweet cheers for that!

gotasuby said:
Return to fuel tank must be highest point

Oh ok, does it pay to have a tank that has two ports on the top, i.e. one port for return line from engine, and the second for return to the main tank?

I've seen a lot of designs where they have one port directly on top, two ports on the side just down from the top, and then one or two ports near the bottom to feed fuel pump(s), have been told the very top was the return from the engine, the two on the side near the top were in/out from main tank, and bottom as mentioned. You saying the port on top should go directly back to the main tank, the two on the side near the top are for main tank in, and return from engine, bottom as mentioned?

Does surge tank design make any difference, i.e. cylinder vs cube, etc?

Thanks

gotasuby said:
Yes the 2 side ones are main tank in and engine return

does it need to be any specific capacity, i.e. 2L, 2.5L, etc?

Was size line do most people use, -6, -8?

Is there any laws or motorsport regulations regarding mounting location, installation of a firewall, etc?

Cheers

Might help, a little overkill but gives you an idea. I recommend Teflon if you're running through cabin either wise it will stink of fuel in there all fittings are e85 compatible and -6AN.

Fuel surge tank needs to be behind a firewall of some type if using it for race track etc.

My set up has 3 fuel pumps and a filter which you can see in the pic, the surge tank is 2L.

Basically lift pump pulls fuel through the fuel filter then feeds the surge tank. I then have two fuel pumps being fed from the bottom of the surge tank which send fuel to the rails (parallel set up) and then back into the surge tank via fuel reg and return line. There is a return line from the surge tank into the return part of the tank. I don't use an internal fuel pump I use the lift pump instead.

image004_zpsb0h28ukd.jpg

Edited by ballsrburning

ballsrburning said:
Might help, a little overkill but gives you an idea. I recommend Teflon if you're running through cabin either wise it will stink of fuel in there all fittings are e85 compatible and -6AN.

Fuel surge tank needs to be behind a firewall of some type if using it for race track etc.

My set up has 3 fuel pumps and a filter which you can see in the pic, the surge tank is 2L.

Basically lift pump pulls fuel through the fuel filter then feeds the surge tank. I then have two fuel pumps being fed from the bottom of the surge tank which send fuel to the rails (parallel set up) via fuel reg and then back into the surge tank (return), then a return line from the surge tank into the return part of the tank. I don't use an internal fuel pump I use the lift pump instead.

image004_zpsb0h28ukd.jpg

If i had a setup within the spare wheel well, and then had a piece of sheet metal covering the entire area, would this be acceptable?

Cheers

I have mine in the engine bay. Surge tank mounted on the left strut tower... fuel pump where some aircon

thing was mounted... also on the left strut tower, and I use the stock fuel filter.

Edited by loner

nismovzr2003 said:
I thought the blue flexi hose was not to meant to leak vapor?

Don't know sorry never used it, if you use the spare wheel well and cover it that would be fine I would imagine. If your car is a daily etc I would do what loner has done leave it all in the engine bay.

ballsrburning said:
Don't know sorry never used it, if you use the spare wheel well and cover it that would be fine I would imagine. If your car is a daily etc I would do what loner has done leave it all in the engine bay.

is there any issues with having a storage of fuel within the engine bay so close to a heat source, i.e. engine?

nismovzr2003 said:
is there any issues with having a storage of fuel within the engine bay so close to a heat source, i.e. engine?

No it's fine... there is nowhere near enough heat to explode. Petrol is actually very stable, and running through

the fuel lines will heat it a lot more than being in a tank mounted to the strut tower.

Edited by loner

I might just look to relocate the battery to the boot then mount my surge tank setup where the battery use to be. Should be plenty of room there to install it.

Whats the go with moving battery to boot, do you need to run 2 cables from the boot to the engine bay for both +/-, or can you simply earth the factory -ve battery connection onto the chasis and then connect a new -ve connection onto the chasis in boot?

Cheers

nismovzr2003 said:
I might just look to relocate the battery to the boot then mount my surge tank setup where the battery use to be. Should be plenty of room there to install it.

Whats the go with moving battery to boot, do you need to run 2 cables from the boot to the engine bay for both +/-, or can you simply earth the factory -ve battery connection onto the chasis and then connect a new -ve connection onto the chasis in boot?

Cheers

35mm Welding cable sent into the engine bay through the AC drain and then ground the negative to the chassis from the seat bolt with the heat resistant covering to eliminate any risk of fire

xkZ1etg.jpg

aOWX3vp.jpg

I813Abo.jpg

• Admin

Just a big + wire, then a short ground to a well prepared ground in the boot.

The factory ground connection just goes to the chassis/body anyway.

35mm welding cable is a good option, as it's double insulated compared to audio stuff.

If you're going to do it properly you should really have a big fuse or circuit breaker at the battery as well - I'd go with something like a 250A resettable breaker - a lot of people don't bother, but electrical fires suck balls.