Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Another Subaru in the news

philc

All the more reason clubs like this should be pushing more Motorsport affiliation and driver training. I also think skid pan training should be mandatory for a drivers licence in New Zealand. I don't think the majority of drivers on our roads have any idea of the limits of their vehicle, or their own skill. Most have probably never gotten properly out of shape before. Maybe if they had they wouldn't be such retarded drivers on the road. Maybe they also wouldn't feel the need to have a squillion dyno kilowatt powers for the dairy and drive through junk food runs.

We've invited 'boy racers' to club events before and been

a) deafened by the silence of the 99% not turning up and

b) the 1 or 2 that turn up thinking they hav sum skilz, show their skills are not even average, and never turn up again to improve :(

al said:
We've invited 'boy racers' to club events before and been

a) deafened by the silence of the 99% not turning up and

b) the 1 or 2 that turn up thinking they hav sum skilz, show their skills are not even average, and never turn up again to improve :(

I'd go to my local car club events- except I work sundays- they are always on sundays...

That and I don't yet have a helmet.

- because of the car I drive and my age; pretty much automatically lumped in with "Boy racers"

I remember a few years ago talking to my now ex father in law about this sort thing (organized events for 'boy racer' types). The problem he said is they never wanted to follow the rules, or their cars were never at a decent (or legal) standard. They just wanted to do what ever they wanted.

Pretty much- I take my car to the toughest place in town for its' wof; so I know it's legit. also the cert guys place :P

You get a lot of people who look for dodgy wof places; and I just think to myself: do you really want to do that? it's not just your safety but the safety of other road users on the line too.

Edited by 94 Leone

loner said:
Young people are insecure and can't handle feeling stupid. They think doing badly at motorsport events makes them look stupid, but it doesn't.

The older guys up here have carrots up their arse and think that young guys are muppets etc and treat them as such same goes for people driving 4wds. Not half as bad as the karting guys tho.

loner said:
Young people are insecure and can't handle feeling stupid. They think doing badly at motorsport events makes them look stupid, but it doesn't.

I would much rather look like a muppet at a track than on a public road half way through a shop window......

loner said:

Perversely, all the hoonery they do on the streets makes them look even stupider !

:D

They seem to perceive the idea that you get greater "skillz" from racing on the streets etc as more distractions blah blah blah..use to be the line I heard when I tried getting those guys more involved with trackdays.

They would then come along, feel they got spanked cos "their sti hasn't lost a race yo" despite the guys on the track just happily doing their own thing...which resulted in 2 things happeneing a) early "retirement" due to an apparent mechanical fault or b) never see them back.

Remember a R33 GTR that came along once to a trackday, had all the car skanks etc show up with the bravdao atitude to boot, brand new volk wheels and all cool looking bits. In the morning sessions he was passed by Koom's 89 legacy RS and a few other cars, he didn't go out again for the day but told everyone he had mechanical issues (of which the way he booted it out of Ruapuna told us that was a lie)

Fizzy Toucan said:
I personally think that insurance, (at least 3rd party) should be made compulsory. Maybe then people would start to take care of their cars and treating the roads with a bit more respect.

Only ever had full cover- or none at all :P

the R33 was passed because it's a boat; not to mention; that was Koom's legacy xD

SpeedySub said:

I remember a few years ago talking to my now ex father in law about this sort thing (organized events for 'boy racer' types). The problem he said is they never wanted to follow the rules, or their cars were never at a decent (or legal) standard. They just wanted to do what ever they wanted.

Yeah, that's exactly it

As 'Boy Racer' is a generalisation, so are our expectations of them. We also know that, anecdotally, some Boy Racers become avid motorsport enthusiasts. In fact most of the old fellas down at the clubrooms will happily claim to have been hooligans in their youth ;]

GC8E2DD said:
As 'Boy Racer' is a generalisation, so are our expectations of them. We also know that, anecdotally, some Boy Racers become avid motorsport enthusiasts. In fact most of the old fellas down at the clubrooms will happily claim to have been hooligans in their youth ;]

LOL..yes old hoons were once young hoons..