Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

lend a hand in tauranga or whakatane

Hey guys so I want to change all the fluids on my legacy and was wondering if someone would be able to lend me a hand and show me how to change them. (Will obviously pay you for your time or buy you a box of whatever you drink.)

I can do the oil on my own it's just the others I'm not sure on.

Cheers

Dean

Edited by Sub Zero

• Admin

Once you're under there looking at things it really isn't as bad as you think it'd be.

Is it a post facelift one or pre?

Only difference between the two will be different types of diff drain bolts for r180 and r160 diffs, volume of oil needed. And for gearbox, haven't been under a 5mt in a while so can't remember if they have two gearbox drain points or not. 6mt have two with one of them needing an annoying t70 torx bit for your socket set and the other just a standard socket bit.

Also go to super cheap and get a small funnel with a small opening, TWO of their big funnels with the long necks and cut the funnel part off one and attach it to the other one, definitely the easiest way to get down to the silly little gearbox filling hole. Fills through dipstick hole btw, hence needed the real small funnel aswell.

I didn't worry about torquing any bolts, probably should have. Gearbox and engine are fine but the diff thread just felt a bit softer and easier the wreck than the others so don't go cranking the hell out of that one.

Can chuck some pics up if you want any more detail.

Hey andy_mac I might call on some pics later if I can't find them. Also how do you tell if it's post or pre face lift?

And it is 6mt

Also how long do you guys reckon it should take and what oils would you recommend to do it with??

if it won't take much time and isn't gonna cost an arm and a leg I might come visit you tomorrow Marky If that's alright?

• Admin

2006ish onwards is post, also headlights will look like this with the curved up corners

imagejpg1_zps57a6d329.jpg

So basically 6mt needs the T70 torx bit to fully drain the transmission.

Looks like this

75093A34-D219-4F52-9350-DC3CE8299349_zps

Should be easy to get done in a couple of hours

I used castrol edge 5w-30 for the engine

And castrol universal 80w-90 for the gearbox and rear diff.

Only use this fluid for torsen rear diffs though, not the right stuff for viscous ones

All facelift spec b gt's have this diff, not 100% sure on 3.0r's though.

If it's any help these are the markings my torsen one has underneath

f7a81fbf-75c3-4b7b-994c-df26045a88e5_zps

• Admin

Got the big containers of both, 5-6 litres. Can't quite remember what size they come in. Used the castrol site for getting volumes required. Just to clarify it is a turbo not a 3.0r ay?

If its a 2.5L turbo you just use the 2007 values, but if its a jdm 2.0l turbo use the engine volume for 2005 and gearbox, diff from 2007

Yea not many places have that bit. Had to get it ordered in from an automotive tools supplier. I'm free but don't have anything for getting the car up, just used a whole lot of wood to drive up on last time, but said wood has since transformed into a fence. And not really a fan of being under cars when just up on jacks especially with how tight these bolts will be. If marky's free to help you and doesn't have one i can always get it over to paps. Or i can make something up at work this week to drive up, just wouldn't be tomorrow.

Edited by Andy_Mac