Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

matt1710

Hello

I have two questions : one that relates to displaying track/album info on the stereo unit, and another that relates to connecting a USB device to a mysterious cable in the glovebox.

I recently imported the above car, which has a Pioneer AVIC-HRZ900 sat nav/multimedia unit in it. Enquiries and research so far shows that it's not possible to get the GPS functioning here - bummer, but I can live without it. However, there is an integrated HD which I've succeeded in ripping about 20 CDs to. However, as all the CDs are compilations I've burnt on my computer, the Gracenote database (which must be embedded in the unit's operating system?!) can't recognise any of my "home-made CDs' so displays them all with meaningless track & album data - i.e. it lists them as "unknown album" and 'track 01' etc. I understand that one can burn CDs, then submit the track names (to the Gracenote database) and then a few days later, the track info for that particular CD will be available should that CD be played in another CD player that has access to the Gracenote database.

My question is : how does my car's Gracenote database get updated? Surely it has to connect to the internet - and how does one do that with a car?!? Or is there another way to get the stereo to display track/album data?

-----------

Question two relates to a mysterious USB cable that sits in the glovebox. I've plugged an iPhone & various USB drives into it, as I assume that's what it's for. No response from the iPhone, however when a USB drive is plugged in, it tells me that the drive can't be read as it isn't formatted correctly. I researched this, but haven't found a way to format the drive/s in a format that can be read by the stereo - I always get the same 'invalid format' message. I'm formatting the drives on a Mac and don't have access to a PC - and suspect that the Mac is causing the problem. Any Mac users out there know how to solve this one?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Matthew

Auckland

If you want to display text on a burnt CD, you probably need to add CD-Text (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text) to the compilation (try here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060914063621259). Alternatively, if you convert your CDs to MP3, they may include ID3 tags that the head unit can embed automatically.

As for the USB drive, the only format that both your Mac and the Pioneer will understand is FAT32 (try here: http://www.hgst.com/support/faqs/how-format-my-drive-use-windows-and-mac-fat32).

Just looked in iTunes (my version is 12) for the preference described in the link (i.e. the CD-Text feature) - it wasn't there. Perhaps it will pop up as an option once I go to burn a CD- will have to borrow a CD burner for that though! If iTunes can't do it, I may well look at burning CDs for the car's HD using another burning app such as Toast. If I could just get the damn FlashDrive and/or iPod interface working, I wouldn't need to bother with CDs!

Just tried the Fat32 formatted USB drive - no go. Get a message on the HU saying that it needs to be formatted. Is a strange drive in that it mounts 2 volumes on the Mac desktop-will try another USB drive that mounts just a single volume, and will try formatting that.

Wouldn't pickup my iPhone or iPod either - not via USB. Frustrating as can see iPod and BT options on HU screen - but they're greyed out. I do have the full stereo manuals...but they're in Japanese! Also tried BT options on iPhone - couldn't 'see' the HU. Perhaps the cable in the glovebox isn't plugged into the right input for what I'm trying to do?? The cable actually terminates with a strange pin connector, but there's an adapter that plugged into the pins that allows USB devices to plug in. Hmmm.

If it's got a Jap Pioneer (Carrozzeria) unit fitted, then I'm assuming it's already got the fitting kit with separate A/C controls? If so, ditch the unit & replace with a NZ one, either a double din touchscreen (make use of the reversing camera), or a single din & a pocket. Most cheap $200-ish units have triple pre-outs, dual USB (front+rear), SD card, BT, front aux anyway... what more do you need?

Those Jap units seem to have a lot of wiring, for some strange reason too, maybe due to built in digital tv tuners, toll card readers, etc... I've ripped quite a few out in the past, not so much recently.

Edited by spark_38

It is a Pioneer double-DIN unit. Under that is a fancy covered 'pocket' - then the AC control panel.

Am reluctant to ditch it as it's got the hard-disc in it - no idea how big but have loaded 35 CDs so far... I thought I'd have to spend $600 to get a decent unit (was quoted $600 + $400 fitting) - so not too keen to drop $1000 on it, especially when the current one has the HD. I'm also concerned that if I replace the HU, I'll lose the steering wheel control functionality - do you know if that's correct? The current HU does have digital TV, toll card....

It's a pain that periodically, a Japanese voice comes in telling me to take it easy - I guess it thinks I'm somewhere 'dangerous' (based on the GPS) and sends the warning. Would be good to turn that off!

Are you saying there will be a built-in reversing camera? I did turn on the reversing camera option in the HU, but it comes up with a message about it to being connected.