Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BH5 upgrades

lunacy

Hey all

Weve had our tiptronic BH5 Rev D for a couple of years now, and its been fine other than the lag!

Just wonder if theres anything we can do to get rid of the VOD lag a bit.

Before anyone mentions, selling it and getting a manual isnt an option. Nor is a manual conversion.

This is my wifes daily driver, and she just wants a bit more go out of it when she puts her foot down.

At the moment it is standard except a cat back 3" exhaust.

From what ive gleaned from the search, the ecu isnt able to be remapped in these? Unless anyone knows otherwise?

Would a zerosports sequential controller make any difference? From what ive read people don't seem to recommend them for anything other than manuals.

Im doing the air filter this week too, but as for anything else am open to options/opinions as to what may give her a bit more kick.

Cheers

• Admin

Can't see why not. Almost the same ecu, basically the same engine, just detuned, so the same style ecu is needed at the very least, hence tunable. A guy called Raijin does them but he's on a bit of a hiatus as of about a month ago to spend more time with family. There are others out there willing to do it too, just got to ring around. What part of nz are you in?

I would have thought the zerosports would be perfect since it controls when the switchover occurs so you could alter it to change according to how your wife likes to drive, but still just putting a plaster over the real problem, tuning will solve that and more.

Chuck a can of subaru upper engine cleaner through aswell, cleans all the crap off valves and the rest, costs around $20, so you're not really losing anything if it doesn't help much

Am in Auckland. May grab the sequential controller and give that a whirl, plus will do the air filter and upper engine cleaner and see how that goes. I saw some stuff about Raijin doing remaps but his website said the same, that he was taking time out to spend with family. If there is anyone else up this way I'd certainly be keen to see what they could do with the ecu!

• Admin

Personally I'd try get a tune rather than the controller, only reason I got the controller back when I had a 3rd gen was because the older revisions at the time couldn't be tuned. Still far less than ideal. Not sure of any Auckland tuners that'll do it but I'm sure someone from the area will know more.

Don't both with the sequential controller. Your 100% best bet is a retune, but without Raijin around I don't know who would do it.

Put a 0.8mm restricter in hose #1 from the BBOD to the secondary IACV, theres a topic in this forum for it. This can help with lag.

The only other worthwhile mods from there are downpipes and intercooler upgrade. A boost controller as well if you can't get a retune.

Well in the last couple of days I've done the following:

New reusable panel filter

Deleted the airbox resonator

Replaced all 3 intercooler hoses with silicone ones ones

Have to say there's a wee bit more kick already from the seatofthepantsometer so not too unhappy for the $100 odd dollars I spent.

Going to keep an eye out for some downpipe, and then get the ecu re mapped and see how we go with that.

Interestingly only seem to be seeing around 7 psi of boost on the gauge. Should I be seeing more than this?

B4 I was 250T said:
Can you tell me more about downpipes please? I've done the .8mm pill and that made a huge difference, have cleaned primary boost solenoid and bbod out and that's further enhanced it but I can't find any info or pricing on downpipes :(

Autobend/Rage make a set but not sure on the pricing. As with most of their gear it wont mate perfectly to the stock midpipe, so might need slight modification at the rear flange. Maybe almost as effective and a lot cheaper to just de-cat the primary DP?

http://autobend.co.nz/Files/Rage_BigBore_V13_small.pdf

lunacy said:
Well in the last couple of days I've done the following:

New reusable panel filter

Deleted the airbox resonator

Replaced all 3 intercooler hoses with silicone ones ones

Have to say there's a wee bit more kick already from the seatofthepantsometer so not too unhappy for the $100 odd dollars I spent.

Going to keep an eye out for some downpipe, and then get the ecu re mapped and see how we go with that.

Interestingly only seem to be seeing around 7 psi of boost on the gauge. Should I be seeing more than this?

Normally should get 12-14ish primary and 15-16 secondary 7psi sounds like it's on WGSP. Could be a blocked primary boost solenoid inside the passengers guard:

Primary_Boost_Control_TT_004.jpg

Or a massive boost leak somewhere, or leaking BOV which could be blocked off to test.

Jack car up, remove inner guard (left hand side) and you'll see the hoses (#23 and #10) leading into the solenoid. I pulled the hoses, one at a time, and sprayed a sh*tload of carb cleaner into the hose entry point. Make sure the cars in diagnostic mode when you do this. That's how I did it anyway and seems heaps (read:scary) better than it was. :)

I picked up second hand rage pipes with the BG5 Y pipe which had to be cut and welded as it was an inch or two out of line.

Not exactly sure how much difference it made as I did FMIC, Boost controller and pipes at roughly the same time. Also had a retune done which netted around 200wkw.

There's something really strange about the way boost is controlled that I haven't figured out yet though. With my boost controller I get 15psi primary maximum, no matter what setting I use, but on secondary it can go all the way up to 20+ PSI.

Now the funny part, if I pull off the middle hose that connects to the 3 ports from the pipe off the secondary turbo (which from what I can tell is the MAP sensor return???) I can get way up to 25psi on primary but secondary wont go past about 16ish, regardless of the boost controller setting. This leads me to believe that there is some sort of ECU controlled pressure relief happening when on the primary turbo that stops it boosting past 15psi. If anyone has any ideas that would be great as I would like to get 17 or so PSI on primary and 18-20 on secondary.

yeah it's slightly bizarre and I haven't looked too far into it yet.

I only discovered it as the hose came off by accident.

Basically pull the hose off the middle nipple of the three that are on the secondary turbo to intercooler pipe, which I believe goes to port 2 on the BBOD.

GorGasmSpecB said:
yeah it's slightly bizarre and I haven't looked too far into it yet.

I only discovered it as the hose came off by accident.

Basically pull the hose off the middle nipple of the three that are on the secondary turbo to intercooler pipe, which I believe goes to port 2 on the BBOD.

Ah hose 2, that's the boost pressure feed for the ECV. So with the hose off the ECV wont be opening fully.

lunacy said:

Should be at around 14psi as Rosssub said. Running 7psi will increase the Lag in VOD/Changeover considerably. find that boost issue and you should be away laughing.

Well have cleaned out all the vacuum lines and solenoids in the BBOD this arvo. Have also installed a 0.8mm pill in hose #1.

Wow what a difference that has made to the VOD!

She pulls nicely all the way to redline and can feel a definite kick when the secondary turbo kicks in.

Still lacking boost though. Primary is still showing around 7 psi, and this drops to about 6 psi on secondary.

Am questioning the boost gauge hose location though as its installed in hose #12. Is this possibly giving me an inaccurate reading?

Wil hopefully clean out primary boost solenoid tomoro.