Will The Block Be Forged?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Block Be Forged?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

evowrx said:
Sam where did you get that part number ...

From the internets somewhere, but it doesn't really matter. Loren didn't give the Subaru people that PN, they told him the same number off their own bat. I'm not claiming it is definitely the right one (although I found it in enough places I was convinced it was). I would like the 'proper' PN if one exists for the V7 block as I'd use it myself in case of emergency =]

But did loren give them the gc8 chassis or gdb? If it wasnt gdb etc it wont be correct and if thats what they sell for v7 sti they need their head read. Its not the only part number listed as a genuine ej207 semi on the net either.

evowrx said:
But did loren give them the gc8 chassis or gdb? If it wasnt gdb etc it wont be correct and if thats what they sell for v7 sti they need their head read. Its not the only part number listed as a genuine ej207 semi on the net either.

I did give them my chassis code, but I also specifically asked if the part number from Sam was the same... and it was.

It makes sense from an economic point of view that they would stop making 5 variations of EJ207 and just make the latest and greatest...

and provide whatever other upgraded supporting parts were required at the same time... including updated head gasket part numbers.

I think they consider the current EJ207 WRX short block to be sufficiently strong for a standard STi... but they will not handle the same mods.

Ive talked to genuine lads its semi correct you can use that shortie sam provided and use gaskets as you said but mainly coz earlier GC/GF blocks are no longer available.

Anyway I can put you in touch with the lads up here they only fit the V7 STI shortie in their workshop and 2.5k+gst off the top of his head. Same as what DV8ER lad on here is running in his. Flick me your email Ill pass it thro to you when it gets to me.

For the record the internet is not a genuine parts system take from it what you will. In saying that the gen system will only give you what you put into it its not an open book.

So yes you can still buy the famed V7 STI shortie.

What about these guys - http://www.raceeng.com/c-5897-ej20.aspx

Yep just need stock length rods and funny pistons to suit the 2.5 crank. 5k budget will start walking towards 10k if you throw displacement into it. Ecu, tune, VF's really too small for it, so then injectors, etc that slippery slope gets really slippery. A well sorted 2.0 like tonys does the business too.

• Admin
 evowrx said:
What about these guys - http://www.raceeng.com/c-5897-ej20.aspx

Yep just need stock length rods and funny pistons to suit the 2.5 crank. 5k budget will start walking towards 10k if you throw displacement into it. Ecu, tune, VF's really too small for it, so then injectors, etc that slippery slope gets really slippery. A well sorted 2.0 like tonys does the business too.

Yes and no. The 22B still ran a VF23 and yellows. You'll just get a slightly more torquey EJ20, with slightly better spool.

ECU and tune, yeah probably a good idea.

The "funny pistons" are off-the-shelf items from Manley and surprisingly cheap.

Similar money to EJ20 pistons arent they? I meant funny as in different to stock 2.0. You will choke at lower rpm which could be a pain in the arse with his app whether it will be really noticeable or not who knows. Could always get murch to fix the turbine wheel later tho ae loren. :P

EJ257+VF28 feels nice till it falls over under 5k.

So heres some knowledge:

Part number 10103AB470K with the K is correct and has these pistons [Piston part number is 12006AB430 (std)] which seems to relate to V7 STI pistons. It seems to be for a kit and only sold that way including EJ207 short block, oil cooler, 10mm oil pump and filter. 2.5k+gst seems the going rate. Unsure if without the K is the same shortie.

IMO for a cheap upgrade buy either this or without the K and throw in a set of forgies. Providing its a semi closed block with later V7- rods.

Em sent thro to you loren.

evowrx said:
So heres some knowledge:

Part number 10103AB470K with the K is correct and has these pistons [Piston part number is 12006AB430 (std)] which seems to relate to V7 STI pistons. It seems to be for a kit and only sold that way including EJ207 short block, oil cooler, 10mm oil pump and filter. 2.5k+gst seems the going rate. Unsure if without the K is the same shortie.

IMO for a cheap upgrade buy either this or without the K and throw in a set of forgies. Providing its a semi closed block with later V7- rods.

Em sent thro to you loren.

Evowrx...When i ask partsouq about the piston kit # 12006AB430 it gives a price of $472.16 with 3 available,is this for a set of 4 pistons and rings or for 1 piston and ring set..

cheers

G'day. I'm at work today, I will try to remember to get the part number off mine when I get home, but I have no reason to believe it will be different to the number posted on the last page.

I used the block stamps to verify, it is indeed version 7, s20c or r or whatever on it, and the piston crown is the same shape as version 7. What will be in question is weather v7 Pistons from Subaru are still forged, or have they been superceded with cast Pistons of the same design? And, does it matter? I've heard the new cast Pistons of today are probably stronger than the forgies of 15-20 years ago. It's worth looking into that.

Let the debate begin!

Part number 10103AB470K, Comes with oil pump 15010AA300 (10mm), and cooler 21311AA051

Here's the pics

15900887205_11f7edb25a_o.jpg

IMG_9781 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

15900887355_03854fcfcd_o.jpg

IMG_9777 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

15898902311_23618a80c6_o.jpg

IMG_9779 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

15278629784_caf5490c72_o.jpg

IMG_9775 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

15900236262_4d2e4ee671_o.jpg

IMG_9783 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

And the secondary crank case breather. All it does is equalise the pressure between the crank case and heads, not really needed at all when slapping these blocks in an older car, since the old blocks didn't have that, only half the new ones do, and the size of the oil return galleries are substantial. I got a blanking cap for it from alert motorsport, part no. BC16, RRP $9.50

15898902051_ef1466d29d_o.jpg

IMG_9786 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

And btw, what a delightful motor, truly something special. Having lived with a forged motor since 2007, I've forgotten how nice factory STi is. For the first time in over 7 years, I can nip down to the shops, or commute to work in beast. No CLACK CLACK CLACK on startup, just start and go luxuries of a factory fresh STi off the show room floor. And the peace of mind to know that the bottom end is 50 times more reliable than an old 20K or early V5/6 207, I am really super stoked with this engine.

And lastly, does one really need forged pistons? Should these pistons be hypereutectic and note forged, is that going to mean they are inferior? Loner, are you suggesting that hypereutectic pistons cant handle a track day, or an extra 100hp? Does your car make an extra 100hp? further more, is the piston the weak point in your build, or were the big end bearings?

Edited by ReubenH