Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Genuine EJ207 STi Replacement Short Block is not forged

loner

Will The Block Be Forged?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Block Be Forged?

Something I found out today is that the short block that you will get from Subaru to replace

your STi short block is not an STi engine at all... it's a WRX engine and has no forged parts.

Subaru lists this part 10103AB470, as a replacement for STis from 00 to 07, but if you give

them a license plate for a v5 or v6 STi they will also tell you that this part in the replacement

short block.

It's no wonder that it costs less than $3000... a forged short block for $3000 is just too good

to be true. STi forged pistons alone cost over $800 each... so 4 would cost more than a whole

WRX short block.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not how the sub system works dude. Where did you get that from? You cant work back from a part number for fitment. It wouldn't work anyway difference in C/R thro those years.

Just the Sub genuine bearing are probably more money than the shortie too lol.

kwi_fozze said:
Genuine blocks (factory) arent forged... they are hyperuetic afaik,

V5/6 STI is EJ207 open deck and those early forged as they're called pistons. No idea if they are or aren't massive arguments either way but diff to non STI EJ205 also open.

V7 STI semi block, stronger rods and forged pistons/the one you want.

V8/9 STI semi block V7 rods with tapered small end, hypereutectic pistons and possibly cross drilled crank.

I would love to know what is inside Reuben's block. That part number Loren has should be the V7 STi one, but from what he is saying they will supply you one and only one type of EJ207 replacement block for your STi any model from V5 through to V10.

evowrx said:
That's not how the sub system works dude. Where did you get that from? You cant work back from a part number for fitment. It wouldn't work anyway difference in C/R thro those years.

Just the Sub genuine bearing are probably more money than the shortie too lol.

Subaru parts told me this... specifically Zara (Wellington Armstrong Subaru) told me that that part number

would be supplied for any STi from 98 to 07. What she didn't tell me, but Ian at Lower Hutt Armstrong did,

is that it's not an STi motor, it's a WRX motor and that it's not forged... he also specifically said that

the motor that came in my car originally was forged and stronger than the current replacement.

Yes my big end shat itself in the weekend :(

Pics in that thread show V7 STI pistons well Im sure that's how they look but been an age since I last saw a set. The pistons are the only thing that make them special anyway all the V7- have stronger rods than the earlys. Other option is to get fbssub1 to throw something together for you.

How did they come up with that part number tho did you give them a V7 STI chassis? There's no way they would supply the same block 98-07 they're so vastly different. I've always found genuine parts people to be the ones who can't hold a job anywhere they actually have to use their brain not saying they all are just what I've seen Auck north.

**** luck guess you get your moneys worth tho.

Sam got the part number from somewhere... but I asked Subaru for the part number for my car and it was the same...

I asked for the part number for the v7 sti and was told that they "didn't really deal with version numbers", but

that the same part number comes up for all STis 00 to 07. I would have bought it, but luckily was advised to talk

to Ian at Lower Hutt... I told him I wanted to purchased one for my car, and he immediately warned me that it would

be okay, but it wasn't an STi motor and shouldn't be used in a race car or a modded car etc. He said a proper STi

motor would be very very expensive and that the pistons alone would be more than a complete WRX shorty.

Edited by loner

That probably is the supercession for your block and would possibly even be semi over your open. Thank f*ck you didn't. Get the p/n of reuben easiest way of knowing its correct. Version numbers mean nothing same with EJ207 etc. Chassis or bust unless they take an interest in their job and actually know whats what.

scottspeed said:
This IS a V7 (bugeye) shortblock. yes these are the strong forged piston ones.

V7 has a raised centre section of the piston bowl

V8-9-10- have a circular dish and are cast.

Only the sti 207 high output blocks are semiclosed deck.

These cheap V7 shortblocks now have the superseeded parts from subaru in them, so normally have v8 onwards rods (tappered smallend) as well as the v8 non nitrided but crossdrilled main journal cranks.

these specs do change depending how old the stock is.

Talk from sti engineers is that when america was 1st launching the wrx bugeye cars, some head director specified the wrong STi engine code. This was to seriously effect the pricing so the order was changed to the correct basic wrx 205 opendeck, cast piston engines. Hence subaru ended up with a few ten thousand left over sti 207 engine assemblies, that they're still selling off cheap.

hmm... that sounds suspiciously like one of those urban legends... like the Jap spec WRX is really an STi because they just had so many STi parts lying around that they needed to use up.

Anyway... I would really love for the brand new $3000 shorty to be an STi block with forged pistons... but it does seem unlikely at that

price IMO.

evowrx said:
Pics in that thread show V7 STI pistons well Im sure that's how they look but been an age since I last saw a set.

Ah yeah, I see the pics. They match what I've seen. From other pics I've seen the hypereutectic pistons are virtually flat top apart from small valve cutaways. US and Russian sites list a slightly different part number for the V8/9 STi shortblock which is where you are supposedly to find the cast hypereutectic pistons and double cross drilled cranks (like Stoffa had). I was surprised Subaru came back with that same PN I thought I had for V7 STi (my partsouq backup plan), and then the whole 'one size fits all' and 'not a forged block'. I'm confused.

You know who scottspeed is ae? They were 2.5k+gst standard issue thro wingers iirc but def not myth gazzy2000 had one on that thread. The jdm bull**** is another whole hooraa.

If you get really stuck ill bend an arm at the dealership and get you what you need but its not as easy as it was when mate worked there.

You need my old block loren. Under 5000 km on it v8 sti semi block, cross drilled crank, 8 sti rods and 7 sti pistons new rings etc. Brian may have it still.

Stoffa had nitrided crank also so spec c iirc im not to hot on that stuff.

Any v7 sti engine is forged in the manner we're talking which only applies to pistons. For vf power level the hypereutectic might be fine just if it will handle the heat of beating round a track i have no idea.

Hypereutectic is way ahead of early wrx stuff.

I'm getting Rick to fix the car... either by just fitting a short block or building one. I was really hoping to get it fixed before

March and at around $5000, but if that Subaru EJ207 is a lemon, neither of those things are going to happen.

Rick would know the part number or be able to figure it out for you then. All you need is a v7 sti block period no lemon **** comes into it. The blocks that were kicking round werent factory replacements numbered for v7 sti replacements hence people flicking them cheap. For a while they were 1.5k on tm.

Even get a new v8 sti shortie and drop 7 sti pistons into it with new rings.

• Admin

Buy a 2.5 crank from Partsouq. Get Manley stroker pistons from Ebay and whatever forged rods float your boat. Rebuild block as 2.13L. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get the parts for less than $3k.

Edit:

Pistons: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manley-Stroker-Pistons-Subaru-WRX-EJ20-92-00mm-8-5-1-/280428518686?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item414ad79d1e&vxp=mtr

Crank: https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=12200AA330

Rods: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAGLE-SUBARU-WRX-STI-EJ20-EJ25-FORGED-H-BEAM-CONNECTING-RODS-EJ205-EJ255-EJ257-/230632126361?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b2bef799&vxp=mtr

Edited by boon