Will The Block Be Forged?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Block Be Forged?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ReubenH said:
Part number 10103AB470K, Comes with oil pump 15010AA300 (10mm), and cooler 21311AA051

And btw, what a delightful motor, truly something special. Having lived with a forged motor since 2007, I've forgotten how nice factory STi is. For the first time in over 7 years, I can nip down to the shops, or commute to work in beast. No CLACK CLACK CLACK on startup, just start and go luxuries of a factory fresh STi off the show room floor. And the peace of mind to know that the bottom end is 50 times more reliable than an old 20K or early V5/6 207, I am really super stoked with this engine.

And lastly, does one really need forged pistons? Should these pistons be hypereutectic and note forged, is that going to mean they are inferior? Loner, are you suggesting that hypereutectic pistons cant handle a track day, or an extra 100hp? Does your car make an extra 100hp? further more, is the piston the weak point in your build, or were the big end bearings?

Hi Reuben, Thanks for the pics... that block is clearly forged.

A forged block would be superior and handle more abuse... there's not really much point debating that.

Initially I was told that the none forged blocks were WRX blocks and were definitely weaker than an older STi block... which is going to put any STi owner off the idea.

But forged or not, Subaru must believe that the motor is up to the task and it will be fine... I still hope it's forged though :)

Id like to know if the non k is a semi closed block with hypereutectic pistons tho. Hypereutectic is good no doubt there its just the margin of error for det is slim. Worth noting rac on the old dyno leaderboard was running stock ej257 hypers with no issues even tho half the world says they fail in stock cars. Id be curious to see if the hypers would handle the heat of a circuit.

ReubenH said:
... the [V7 STi] bottom end is 50 times more reliable than an old 20K or early V5/6 207 ...

All the more reason to want a proper V7 assembly. I thrashed the absolute crap out of my 20K at autocrosses, track days, and street sprints for ~20,000kms before it let go, and that was *starting* with 180,000kms doing who knows what on the block. Sounds like your motor would redline all day every day for over a million kms =P

evowrx said:
even tho half the world says they fail in stock cars. Id be curious to see if the hypers would handle the heat of a circuit.

Half the world being the Americans though, they try to push silly amounts of power out of their setups, to the point the blocks themselves become a weak point (how many cracked 257 shorties have you seen on NASIOC?). I honestly think hypers would do 200kw at the wheels with ease. Keep on top of fuel and tune, and you're all gravy. I would only think of going forged after working past that point TBH. But then I'm no engine builder, so my words worth ****.

Stock -v6 will push 200wkw no issues hyper are a lot better than those. Its ****ty tuning and det that frys pistons and later rods are a heap stronger. Plenty of massive powered stock shorties on 22b and nasioc hyper and v7 sti. Also plenty of blown stuff but a lot of those are debatable.

The shorty was in a box all on it's own with the base part number. The other three things were separate,

so I really think the K is meaningless in terms of what's in the short block.

All we need is someone in AK to go to Subaru and ask to see the block. They always keep one in the country,

so the next will probably take a couple of weeks or so to arrive.

Why does this thread remind me of Lost?

Edited by loner

Not how the gen system sees it tho it had to be the k you bought to get those pistons. The system shows one of those certain blocks in stock so you order it and the picking list just comes saying pick 1 2 3 4. You order it now it'll either supercede to the non k number or say its extinct. Unless theyve still got stock at fuji.

May have missed it but what did you end up paying for the shortblock kit in the end out of interest ? Those V7 Sti blocks really are a good bit of factory kit, I had one way back put into my RSB Legacy which I later single turbo'd and it never missed a beat, even after a couple of scary overboosts to 25+psi.