Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gymkhana/ Track Car suggestions - HELP?!

Aurai

I've given up on having money and given in to the motorsport bug and want to start out with the regular gymkhana's at Hampton Downs primarily because they are cheap and a stupid amount of fun.

Once I learn to drive properly I would see what else is out there to dabble in, track days, drift etc etc....

The original idea was to pick up an old NA mx5 as they seem to dominate the competition and go from there.

That was until I saw how much people are asking for them... :eek: !!! Damage to every panel torn/ knife holes (actually) in roof and an open diff, 200k+ and asking 6-7k???? Same goes for the usual suspects, Silvias etc

I seem to have backed myself into a bit of a corner regarding criteria.

First and foremost I need to keep it cheap. Hilariously Cheap, until i get serious and feel it is something I want to poor $$$ into.

Secondly, continuing with the cheap theme, I want to keep everything road legal, because trailers and aren't cheap either - will sort one eventually, but to begin with I want to stay trailer-less. Also a lot of casual events require wof/ Reg.

Certs- I want to avoid these like the plague because as soon as I want to change anything I have to re-cert, and certs are expensive - see the theme here?

RWD - I want to have some tail out fun and get away with stuff I couldn't on the road. Factory LSD preferred (or a cheapish swap).

So TL: DR;

Gymkhana Car.

Cheap - cheaper the better.

Road legal.

LSD.

Any / all advice welcome.

kwi_fozze said:
Dude, legacy....

I want to keep my daily away from track use. Can't afford to put that into a barrier/ Break something.

And you have seen how many broken cars the Gymkhana makes xD

Plus I want to do some arse out stuff.

boon said:
MR2

Earlier BMW 3-series

and that's all I've got for now :/

Yeah I have been eying up the e36's, is looking like my #2 choice after an MX5. No idea about which ones come with LSD's / what aftermarket or oem swap options there are though.

Not too keen on the MR2's as I have seen a couple out there and it is just endless under steer.

I used to go to the Hampton events never really seen a car break down, I won the series three years ago in a suby so would recommend them :) , its not the most taxing type of event for cars mechanically speaking.

I know where an mx5 is for sale older car 1989 i think in red has bodykit too for around 3500k, its in good condition and a cool car. Not sure on mileage but can find out for you, its in franklin. Best sort of cars for gymkhanas/motorkhanas as far as I can tell are mini's and Hondas they win everything I have seen, but obviously not rwd.

MR2 understeer, that's a first, i've owned a few and major characteristic for mid engine mr2 is oversteer.

Edited by ballsrburning

mr2s on the hampton downs skidpad understeer like crazy, sooo much rear end push without getting into clutch kicking.

most of the cars that have broken at hamptons lately (skidpad) was a skyline from limiter bashing, an over enthusiastic slide in an mx5, and someone with a suzuki that tipped it over because tall narrow cars dont like handbrake slides

• General Member

FWD aint all that bad : especially when you can 'steer' with the handbrake

other wise not sure what Cheap RWD and legal (you might only get to pick two of those attributes)

there's a few Avengers on TM I wouldnt mind tho...

from my watchlist

WRX http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=838342508

E30 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-831042944.htm

540 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-822127151.htm

Hillman http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=834319148 I would like the Gearbox as a spare (or keep the auto bell housing & give me the auto bit)

doh I see it sold :/

Ninja8)']Honda power...

My bad didnt read the RWD part lol

Yeah this would be my solution if I wasn't after RWD! Civic or Integra would be perfect!

I know where an mx5 is for sale older car 1989 i think in red has bodykit too for around 3500k, its in good condition and a cool car. Not sure on mileage but can find out for you, its in franklin.

More details would be great thanks :D PM them if you want.

FWD aint all that bad : especially when you can 'steer' with the handbrake

other wise not sure what Cheap RWD and legal (you might only get to pick two of those attributes)

there's a few Avengers on TM I wouldnt mind tho...

from my watchlist

WRX http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=838342508

E30 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-831042944.htm

540 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-822127151.htm

Hillman http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=834319148 I would like the Gearbox as a spare (or keep the auto bell housing & give me the auto bit)

doh I see it sold :/

Thanks for the suggestions, that Shov'ette is pretty cool. The E30 is tasty! Im almost tempted to splurge on that since its a full race car!!!

A WRX. Why anyone would suggest anything else on a Subaru forum is beyond me.

No other car will give you a competitive edge in all and any clubsport event.

Hands down best car available.

Agreed, great cars. But id like to learn to slide properly while doing this and eventually try my hand at drift days.

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

mr2s on the hampton downs skidpad understeer like crazy, sooo much rear end push without getting into clutch kicking.

most of the cars that have broken at hamptons lately (skidpad) was a skyline from limiter bashing, an over enthusiastic slide in an mx5, and someone with a suzuki that tipped it over because tall narrow cars dont like handbrake slides

Even with massive clutch kicking they were having a bad time! :/

Dont forget the GTR that you towed home with a roasted clutch!

I dont get the mr2 thing, as there was guy I competed against who won most often than not, he drove a mk1 mr2 cheese wedge. I bet its down to the mods and the driver. I will pm about the mx5 ill ask for more details.

E30 is a good cheap way to get a RWD, but an LSD is expensive, best to just lock the diff and learn some car control. I do autocrosses in mine (E30 325) with a locked diff and generally make it into the top ten. And parts are mostly cheap if you hit stuff, E36 is a bit more expensive and parts are a little pricier. But E36 is definitely a faster car as long as you aren't bothered by the extra weight.

But Loren is right. A WRX is faster once you get brave and stop caring about breaking it, then it will slide just as well as a lot of RWDs. And again, parts are dirt cheap and you can add power very cheaply. Only downside is you have to have a few spare parts around as they will break a bit with abuse.

Aurai said:
I've given up on having money and given in to the motorsport bug and want to start out with the regular gymkhana's at Hampton Downs primarily because they are cheap and a stupid amount of fun.

Once I learn to drive properly I would see what else is out there to dabble in, track days, drift etc etc....

The original idea was to pick up an old NA mx5 as they seem to dominate the competition and go from there.

That was until I saw how much people are asking for them... :eek: !!! Damage to every panel torn/ knife holes (actually) in roof and an open diff, 200k+ and asking 6-7k???? Same goes for the usual suspects, Silvias etc

I seem to have backed myself into a bit of a corner regarding criteria.

First and foremost I need to keep it cheap. Hilariously Cheap, until i get serious and feel it is something I want to poor $$$ into.

Secondly, continuing with the cheap theme, I want to keep everything road legal, because trailers and aren't cheap either - will sort one eventually, but to begin with I want to stay trailer-less. Also a lot of casual events require wof/ Reg.

Certs- I want to avoid these like the plague because as soon as I want to change anything I have to re-cert, and certs are expensive - see the theme here?

RWD - I want to have some tail out fun and get away with stuff I couldn't on the road. Factory LSD preferred (or a cheapish swap).

So TL: DR;

Gymkhana Car.

Cheap - cheaper the better.

Road legal.

LSD.

Any / all advice welcome.

Hey Man I'm in the same boat, don't wanna spend too much Cash before I'm able to get my new Subie, so I'm thinking of getting a cheap Manual Legacy, no Turbo Strip out the interior, Straight pipe exhaust and rip out the front drive shafts aka RWD =)

I'm really keen to give the Gymkhana another go.

ballsrburning said:
I dont get the mr2 thing, as there was guy I competed against who won most often than not, he drove a mk1 mr2 cheese wedge. I bet its down to the mods and the driver. I will pm about the mx5 ill ask for more details.

An MR2 is fast in the right hands and when they have big superchargers or turbos bolted on... but a WRX is fast in almost anyone's hands.

I'd go an get a Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, althought FWD, great little cars and really cheap compared to the hot hatches. E30 would be my other choice, but recently they are getting rather expensive, how about an E34 535i...bit of a barge but would be good fun in a gymkhana.

MR2... hmm depends which generation as the handling is a bit scarey when you lose traction...but great driving position, just a pain to work on the engine.

FXGT Corolla with a 16v 4AGE, also FWD I'm afraid...

Quite sad that I've owned most of the cars we're talking about lol. You'll need to find something that is a little bit obscure or doesnt have every kid wanting to own.. hence the reason Hondas, Silvias, MX5's are so expensive. Get an old 924 Porsche :)

Edited by far4ngn