Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Injector and Tune Suggestion (01 WRX STI)

Jonesee

Hi everyone,

So i've finally got all my bits and pieces ready to get mounted (Bilstein adjusties, RCM oil baffle and braided brake lines). I've made the decision NOT to 'race-ready' my car anymore, but rather use this for the next 12 or so months to do some track days and hopefully the Targa Tour, then i'll look at buying an already race ready car to go further.

However, now that i've decided to go down this route, i'm thinking of putting bigger injectors in and getting it a decent tune (for a little extra power). It's last dyno was about 218wkw on about 18 PSI with a 16 PSI option through the boost controller.

The current set up includes:

2001 WRX STI Type RA

- Simota Air intake

- TDO5-20G with billet compressor wheel

- Grimm speed manifold cross pipe

- 3" turbo back

- Aluminium radiator

- Walbro 255 fuel pump

- Greddy electronic boost controller

I do have an external wastegate as well, but it hasn't been fitted (not really necessary at the moment).

Basically my question is - what injectors (size, brand, etc) would you guys suggest? And who would you suggest for the tuning? (also any suggestions on the LVV would be good too - I'm in Auckland)

Thanks

• Admin

ID1000's will give you all the headroom you ever need and factory-like idle and cruise.

Although admittedly you could probably get away with your 565's - they're good for close to 240wkw.

No idea on tuners in Auckland sorry.

hey man

did you notice much difference with the Grimm speed cross pipe?

With the tune you could go see Raijin, thats who i got mine tuned through. I know hes currently not doing it at the moment but if you dont mind waiting hes well worth it.

I bought the car as is sorry mate, so couldn't tell you what sort of difference the pipe made (unless you compare the entire car and set up to my previous WRX....in which case i'd say IT'S ANOTHER LEVEL!)

Yeah i've heard Raijin is the one to see - might hold out and see what I can tee up

• Admin
 Jonesee said:
Sarcasm Boon? How do you do a virtual dyno anyway? I thought downhills were just used for '0-100' claims?

Yeah sarcasm - there's a lot of people getting road tunes these days instead of dyno (each to their own) and at the end they're getting these "virtual dyno" plots that are generated from log data - basically operates off how fast the car can accelerate it's weight, resulting in a power/torque figure. The problem is that unless the road is dead flat and you get the weight figure exactly right the exercise is pointless and results in some kinda funny dyno plots. Plus the pulls are done (for license-keeping reasons) in fairly low gears which means they can't be compared to a proper dyno plot in any meaningful way.

Logan - if someone asks you how fast your car is do you say 1 gazillion and 1 wkw exactly or just say its fast and drives well. Proper dyno plots arent exactly reliable either can play with it to ramp spool and temps etc. A cars as fast as it feels i dont think anybodys saying i roadtuned at 301wkw it must be correct. If you use the same piece of road starting at same marker you can get a general sense of gain but very general imo.

Weight and flatness of road dont make 30wkw diff neither do temps unless you get a tad extreme with it.

My 300kw virtual dyno'd car beat minhaaj's dynapack 330kw car/ real world conditions. If anything the dynapack's are garbage and im pretty sure anyone with half a brain knows by now they put out the most inflated numbers compared to a mustang, dyno dynamics or dynojet. I for one would never strap mine up to a dynapack for arguments sake either.

Not taking a shot at boon or anyone but please know what your spitting out. There has been comparison's on vd vs real dyno's they are within 5-10% give or take.

• Admin
 kris_pran said:
My 300kw virtual dyno'd car beat minhaaj's dynapack 330kw car/ real world conditions. If anything the dynapack's are garbage and im pretty sure anyone with half a brain knows by now they put out the most inflated numbers compared to a mustang, dyno dynamics or dynojet. I for one would never strap mine up to a dynapack for arguments sake either.

Not taking a shot at boon or anyone but please know what your spitting out. There has been comparison's on vd vs real dyno's they are within 5-10% give or take.

Going off on a tangent, and knowing the maths behind it, a virtual dyno number isn't worth the virtual paper it isn't printed on.

I'd love to know how many people doing virtual dyno runs stuck their car on a weighbridge or corner-weighting scales beforehand, or if they just went off the interweb weight for their car.

And that's a pretty massive call on Dynapacks, considering they're generally regarded as the most accurate and least bull****able dyno.

Im not saying the dynos not accurate just they can be skewed to read favourably as can the road. Then comparing 400m its pretty fair to say the driver and how hard you rape the car is a big factor.

Kris pran is that vd to vd or how are you comparing that?

I probably shouldn't have said they are garbage, that was a bit too harsh. Everything has there place, from personal experience and what ive seen through iwsti,nasioc and other forums builds in order of most realistic dynos.

Mustang

Dynojet

VD

Dynapack

There are ways you can make the vd work, i always use the mustang dyno option which has the lowest correction factor and smooth it out to 3. Always do a run on a flat highway to get the most accurate/non bs reading, lucky for me theres one just after the normandale bridge in lower hutt. I dont put too much faith in dynos anyway, my tiny 4 cylinder keeps up with 400kw gtrs down the 1/4 haha and thats good enough for me.

Nah theres a bit of a story with it.

Mesh from up pipe went thru turbine and ****ed the exh wheel

sent out to murchy for rebuild

turbo comes back makes 330kw on 17psi

starts leaking oil from seals (murch ftw)

He ran at nats with me as well, his best was 11.97 i think. That thing needs more boost, im talking 28psi he'll blow past me then ;) and it sounds lethal with cams he has.

The 27 boost is incorporated into a different map where its been leaned out a touch and added a bit more timing compared to my daily map. Only ever used it when i hit the 1/4 otherwise ive always been on the daily map.

As far as noticing the difference, **** yea thing moves on 27psi. Negative on graphs never been on dynapack.

I cant comment on other turbo setups but what ive noticed is builds with .68/.86 exh housings are limited when it comes to boost, something along the lines of choking the exh flow. What i do know about blouch xtr range, they are mostly rated good for 28psi.