Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

MCM bg5 ez36 8 psi boost . 11.9 quarter mile . anyone else follow this build ?

lachlan

realise its old news now but anyway

mighty car mods got a **** spec bg5a . added a stock internal 2011 tribeca ez36 ( yes the one with off set conrods ) added a garret . 8psi and e85 had it upwards of 260kw

****ty street tires and supsension / long legged 6 speed

was interesting to watch . the haltec had to be an elite one and then like 4 addon boxes to run all the jazz on the engine

also interesting is the non return fuel setups these days . makes all the parrelel fuel rail conversions look bit dumb

[video=youtube;2A47LYAcakg]

Edited by Joker

• Admin

I have mixed feelings about this... it was entertaining to watch and an interesting POC, but that turbo + fabrication + E85... disappointing outcome.

Like Turbo Yoda said, you could just slap a Garrett on a 2-litre and get the same/better result.

Te be fair they could have achieved similar results / numbers from some DIY manifolds and a pair of whatevers or a single biggerwhatever, they just had the ability and funds to do it really well

End of the day there is no replacement for displacement

I like it a lot, its the whole package of all the latest(ish) tech with the gramps body, was a good watch.

Remember that they weren't going for all out track car here, it was a car that can be used everyday, is easy to drive, and do 1/4 mile in 11sec and thats what it does, and well. I especially like the climate control, boost control, body control all in one unit.

People have run high 11's with VF/breathing mods/tune and angry driving I think this is a complete waste of time its just big dick and doesnt count for ****. What would it make on pump? Just embarassing really.

Wouldve cost far less to do a EJ257+GT3071/TD06 or T/S HX something and drivability is about as drivable as it gets. Wouldve ended up with another 100wkw or so and wouldve been able to spend money on heads/forging it for what they sunk into this thing. Engine/garret/ecu+fancy **** wouldnt have been cheap.

Not to rain on an ozzie parade but AFP is where its at for tribeca mods.

evowrx said:
People have run high 11's with VF/breathing mods/tune and angry driving I think this is a complete waste of time its just big dick and doesnt count for ****. What would it make on pump? Just embarassing really.

Wouldve cost far less to do a EJ257+GT3071/TD06 or T/S HX something and drivability is about as drivable as it gets. Wouldve ended up with another 100wkw or so and wouldve been able to spend money on heads/forging it for what they sunk into this thing. Engine/garret/ecu+fancy **** wouldnt have been cheap.

I think the point was yes, they could of ran 11 sec quarters on A 2L, 2.5L and the usual mods, but they wanted to do something that has not been done before or isn't common, which I think is really cool.

So they made a bg5 run the same time as a wrx with 3k max spent on it still fail to see the cool bit. Different doesnt mean amazing if you dont actually achieve anything noteworthy its just a waste. In saying that im all for backyard builds but theyre not really doing those anymore.

evowrx said:
So they made a bg5 run the same time as a wrx with 3k max spent on it still fail to see the cool bit. Different doesnt mean amazing if you dont actually achieve anything noteworthy its just a waste. In saying that im all for backyard builds but theyre not really doing those anymore.

Tbh if they wound up the boost to stock v5/6 levels itd probably hit 10s.

evowrx said:
Boost alone doesnt mean **** and would it even take another 4psi as is? Highly doubt that theres a huge difference between 11.9 and 10.99 like 100wkw diff.

Oh it'd need beefing up for sure. But look at forcefeds ez30 setup thats 500kw+

Ez36 with quad avcs if it got some strength to it would be hitting that.

Wasnt talking about forging just c/r vs timing/boost. I didnt watch the whole series to know engine specs just enough to confirm my thoughts.

Forcefeds had a couple of smarts behind it i wouldnt go comparing those 2 at all. Besides quad avcs isnt twice as good as single.

evowrx said:
Wasnt talking about forging just c/r vs timing/boost. I didnt watch the whole series to know engine specs just enough to confirm my thoughts.

Forcefeds had a couple of smarts behind it i wouldnt go comparing those 2 at all. Besides quad avcs isnt twice as good as single.

How does that make any sense?

Wouldnt having active control over all four cams advancing/retarding be better for gaining power?

Genuine query there.

• General Member
 evowrx said:

AFP WRX... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Admin

Possibly the most disappoint part is that it was on E85.

A completely utterly bog standard STI on E85 with a reflash to suit will come very, very close to that power figure and probably do a faster 400.

I mean, the car is kinda cool. But it would have been just as cool if not cooler with a 350wkw built 2.5 in there, and gone a lot better too.

tebbyj said:
I like it a lot, its the whole package of all the latest(ish) tech with the gramps body, was a good watch.

Remember that they weren't going for all out track car here, it was a car that can be used everyday, is easy to drive, and do 1/4 mile in 11sec and thats what it does, and well. I especially like the climate control, boost control, body control all in one unit.

Looking at the video its stripped out so hardly classed as street driven 11 sec car. No idea why they left the towbar on it would weigh more than the interior they pulled out. Loling harder than before.

Shouldve set up launch control and flatshift since they decided to try get that single 11 sec pass to say it was a street driven 11 sec car. Only 9 psi 11 sec car blah like that counts for ****. As for comparing it to super cars well thats funny too. Why not compare it to brett lee sangs evo which had less mods and ran a second quicker.

Edited by evowrx

They did talk about making it reliable and that to add more boost would have meant the stock engine was nearing its limits and might have started bending rods. The idea from what I saw was to make it street legal and usable and reliable as an everyday drive while still being able to do an 11 second quarter. Sure a smaller engine is more fun and can also develop loads of power but generally they are more highly stressed and not as reliable without a lot of upkeep. The other issue with a smaller engine is that often you lose low down torque that's useful, for driving around a city for example, and then the power tends to come on in a big rush upper in the revs. That's fun also, but not the most practical for driving in traffic.