Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ECU questions and thoughts - Rev-D TT to ST conversion

A_J_T

I’ve touched on this in another thread but thought I’d start a new one so I don’t flood random threads with my irrelevant incompetence.

So I’m looking at possibly converting my Rev-D TT ej208 to Single Turbo and all looks sweet but Ross kindly reminded me that the Rev-D ej208 has a CR of 9:1 so a V7 STI ECU won’t really be up to the task as the STI runs 8:1 CR. That said it has also been pointed out that the STI ECU is possibly tunable to suite a 9:1 CR. So anyway then after a bunch of interneting and reading facts that sometimes are so far from the truth it’s not funny I thought.. Isn’t the B4 Rev-D ECU already open source “tunable”? If so is there a possibility of just keeping my current ECU and then get it tuned once the conversion is done?

Following as I think this would be a better platform to convert to single turbo with, Also bump because I really wanna know how this plays out. Someone on facebook with a similar can of worms. but they've already put the forester engine into their rev D.

Exciting times!

evowrx']Give raijin a ring dude hes been inside both he will be able to tell you.

Yea its not urgent so ill flick Alastair an email on Monday,

[quote name='94 Leone said:

Following as I think this would be a better platform to convert to single turbo with, Also bump because I really wanna know how this plays out. Someone on facebook with a similar can of worms. but they've already put the forester engine into their rev D.

Exciting times!

Yea i don't think many Rev-D's have been converted aye, should be a nice little daily being 9:1 CR if we can get it running.

Also apparently some of the JDM ej205 STI foresters ran a 9:1 but finding one of those ECU's is probably not that easy.

Edited by A_J_T

evowrx said:
Comp wont matter as you tune fuel and ignition maps anyway dude.

Yea, when it comes to this tuning business I get a bit lost. But basically what you’re saying “if I’ve understood correctly” is that CR should not matter too much as at the end of the day the tune will be setup and ignition timing will be pulled down to compensate the added CR..

Looks like this is the way to go.

Yes it is possible to tune the ECU on your car to run single turbo if you leave the BBOD and all the TT associated sensors in place. The turbos and associated exhaust control valves and air control valves can be removed but the pressure sensors and all the solenoids etc in the BBOD need to stay in place to prevent CELs. You can run the single turbo from the primary turbo solenoid circuit and control it via the ECU

Cheers

Alistair

Raijin Performance Ltd

Custom Subaru Remapping

M: +64 (0)21 306 003

Email: [email protected]

www.raijinperformance.co.nz

Very nice. :) So all you'll need to do is:

- Intake pipe

- Y-pipe (y-pipe gaskets p/n 21896AA010)

- Turbo

- Exhaust manifold

- Up-pipe/down-pipe (single turbo GB cross member for OEM DP)

- New coolant feed hose from header tank to turbo

- Block primary turbo oil feed and return in left head

- Block primary coolant return in left head

- Tune

All gasket part numbers for partsouq will be in this thread by Clint: http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42058-Single-scroll-gasket-genuine-part-numbers Could also fit some phenolic intake mani spacers and bypass the TB coolant while the manifold is off.

Could swap the primary duty solenoid and exhaust control valve duty solenoid pins at the ECU, to save fluffing around with relocating or running long vac hoses into the passengers guard for boost control?

B137/24 & B137/11, rev d ECU pinout:

http://www.brdevelopments.com/docs/MY02%20B4%20ECU%20Pin%20outs.pdf

Should find the front O2 sensor wires are long enough to relocate it into the DP too, if that's what Alistair does?

Edited by Rosssub

evowrx']Pity you cant delete the cel at ecu. Sounds like an easy option tho. Trying to think if i have anything that would help with conversion in my garage. Getting thin on spares now.

Yea, it is an easy option for sure. will mean i can get the conversion done and then look at upgrading the ECU in the future sometime.

[quote name='94 Leone said:

*If you feel that wiring is the devil and it is the devils work

Yes.

Rosssub said:
Very nice. :) So all you'll need to do is:

- Intake pipe

- Y-pipe (y-pipe gaskets p/n 21896AA010)

- Turbo

- Exhaust manifold

- Up-pipe/down-pipe (single turbo GB cross member for OEM DP)

- New coolant feed hose from header tank to turbo

- Block primary turbo oil feed and return in left head

- Block primary coolant return in left head

- Tune

All gasket part numbers for partsouq will be in this thread by Clint: http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?42058-Single-scroll-gasket-genuine-part-numbers Could also fit some phenolic intake mani spacers and bypass the TB coolant while the manifold is off.

Could swap the primary duty solenoid and exhaust control valve duty solenoid pins at the ECU, to save fluffing around with relocating or running long vac hoses into the passengers guard for boost control?

B137/24 & B137/11, rev d ECU pinout:

http://www.brdevelopments.com/docs/MY02%20B4%20ECU%20Pin%20outs.pdf

Should find the front O2 sensor wires are long enough to relocate it into the DP too, if that's what Alistair does?

Swapping the primary duty solenoid and exhaust control valve solenoid pins at the ECU is a good idea, i will look into this :)

Thanks for all the info mate ^

• 7 months later...

Kind of bringing this one back from the dead but figured its the best place to post without having to re-explain my situation ^ .. soooo to prevent the Differential pressure sensor and ECU having a fritter out on me and throwing a CEL would I pop hose 21 onto intake manifold pressure and hose 22 into turbo outlet pressure "effectively the same pressure just maybe a delay between the two idk?!":confused:

Edited by A_J_T

Thinking it might throw a code either way until you get the ECU adjusted to run in single. Maybe:

P1241 - 2 Stage Twin Turbo System (Single)

P1242 - 2 Stage Twin Turbo System (Twin)

P1199 - Differential Pressure Sensor

But I would first try connecting both hose 21 and 22 to manifold pressure. Then fit a 0.8mm restrictor pill into hose 22.

mhmm having fun finding someone who will actually tune it for me now Raijin is out of the question but yip the restrictor pill makes sense so ill give that a go hopefully this weekend if i get it on the road!

Thanks Ross