• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

FOUND White Legacy FKB700 Wellington

blackseb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh.. well that kinda sucks, i mean whats the point of investing all this money in alarms if your ride can just get stolen as easy as that. Seems like more of a deterrent than actual theft prevention. Funny, they dont mention that when they're selling it too you, $400 i spent on my Uniden one. I guess thats just the way it is. Anyway i'm glad you got yours back, If theres anything i can do to help with the rebuild, let me know.

Suby Manic said:
Congrats on gettings your ride back.

Im curious though, my car has a 5 star immobilizer alarm. Can it still be stolen? As shes parked on the road pretty much permanently and have often wondered whether shes truely safe.

5 Star Alarm won't get you far bro, People that do these things get around to hacking the best Alarms made. As for it being parked on the road

bro that's just waiting for someone to nack it. I would have Second thoughts about where you park it :)

Sitting in the tow yard on no struts and space savers it's on the ground, seems bagged out which is a new look! :P

Do you guys reckon this may have done damage to other components sitting on no struts? Hoping that if I go to rebuild it I don't find whole lots of bent and mangled suspension parts.

I would do a full check on pretty much anything that was affected with it just being dumped on the ground?

Hubs, Arms Diffs Exhaust anything to do with underneath even Chassis damage if you care much? Oil Sump and

Filter might be good to look at as well if it was sitting pretty bad on the front? check for any Damage to

the transmission as well I'm guessing the last thing would be "engine wise" knowing joy riders they don't ride

normal when stealing cars, hope this helped out a bit. And again so sorry to hear about this happening to such

a clean wagon, I remember seeing this wagon when I had mine and gave me the idea to go for the same look with

the Rota RT5's as well:

1978337_304575196358929_5670709998807017

Best of luck with what ever you do bro, cheers.

• Admin

It was just leaning on the sill on one side. As long as it hasn't mushed the chassis rail/sill down that side it will be fine.

Everything you need to put it back together you can have from Pickapart for minimal money, there's loads of BHs up there at the moment.

Seriously you could do it for like $200, not including the bits around the ignition.

And put it this way - if they managed to steal it without a tow-truck, the alarm could have been installed better.

I'm struggling for how missing struts, wheels and a cut brake line can justify "write off"

Chuck a set of stock struts in, find some wheels and fix the breaks - if you shop well it's cheap as especially if you plan to sell it (for what it's worth I'm shopping for one?)

They may have pinched your stuff but not all crims will go out of their way to just destroy the car, (to be honest I'm more surprised it didn't get torched) but once the bits are replaced it's likely as good as it was before

If it was joyriding kids it'd be rooted, chances are this is just someone pinching it purely for profit, they would have gotten it out of sight, grabbed what they wanted and bolted - rather than done hellies in carparks etc as kids would

• Admin

You guys all give me inspiration to rebuild her, although the towey mentioned that because the suspension has been reported as stolen, a mechanic needs to install the suspension or "certify" that it's all been done correctly. I'm unsure whether that means it will have to be re-certed or just checked over..? So thats tomorrow's mission.

Towey doesn't know what they're talking about on this one, it's not like there's some database somewhere that notes down that your struts got nicked at some stage.

Boon seems as though you are correct here. After many useless discussions one Mechanic looked up my plates and there it was with a valid wof till July. Therefore Reg'd and Wof'd both till July so once it's going its back on the road.

The Towey's also said that it won't really roll, stitting on wheels with no struts obviously it's on the ground. So it's matter of pushing it on and off the truck with blocks under the wheels I think. Hoping doesn't do more damage underneath.

Hopefully going to get it moved and get started on it next week. Cross fingers the damage doesn't extend past what I am currently aware of.

Unless of course anyone wants to buy it off me and fix her up. Good little money maker, I'd rather just not have to deal with the pain really, but can't bear to see her go to waste haha :P

• General Member

whilst is good news and your prepared for a battle / beware the pink sticker brigade

taking it back to standard DOES mean you need a recert no matter what rule book you read or people say on the internet, wil save you hassles later with insurance/wof's/sale of car and so on,

sure it has a wof now (sticker says so) but that doesn't mean you wont get pinked/automatically covers your repairs/new parts, not implying anything dodgy, that lil sticker is really only valid for the day it was there, ie could look at it the other way, get a wof on OEM suspension, change to adjusties the next day & think " I'm sweet for 6 months it has a wof" : ahh no, (that's my train of thought)

Edited by Joker

• Admin

So much meh, who is going to pink sticker you for having factory parts. Nobody. If they did, you could write in and ask them to stop being penises.

If it stops you doing something dumb with it (i.e. parting it out or selling it for bugger all) I'll take you on a mission to Pickapart, get the **** we need to fix it, then I'll throw the struts and brake line in for a box of beers.

**** I've put my own car in a worse state than this thing is in. What's with all the doom and gloom?

Boon you're giving me bucket loads of inspiration! As for the cert being voided, I mean I had the justies wound down lower than the cert height anyway and never got pulled up, so the chance of being pink stickered with stocks in is minimal! Not too worried about that my aim is to get her back on the road and going.

I'll get it towed and suss everything out, search for bargain parts at pick apart etc. I'm ready to have a go at everything but it's awesome to know you're willing to help, may need some assistance with the brakes etc. But thanks heaps man, amazing to know people are so willing to help. Guess not everyone's as low life as these thieves!

blackseb said:

Yeah I mean I can sort all that out later. But any insurance would be void if it were stock wouldn't it, for not complying with the cert. So insuring it would be pointless right, which I have learnt (the hard way) is important!

it would be pointless in the event of a crash; but in the event of theft; such as this it would still be covered.i'm 19 and I have both my legacy and wrx fully insured. expensive; yes: but it is a peace of mind.

Went missing from near the city end of Mitchell St. Real gutted about it aye.

So definitely insured for theft then even if they know the cert's being void. That's interesting, and definitely worthwhile then.

Will look into that further, cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd bring this back and post here.

So have been pretty unsuccessful on installing the front struts. I'm assuming something must be bent from having the car sitting with no struts in it because the hub is a good 30cm or more when jacked up from being able to fit the strut in over the axle etc. I tried jacking the hub down and it started cambering out at the top with still 20cm or so before the strut could even fit...

Any insight's or anyone willing to give me a hand or a look would be seriously much appreciated.

Cheers

I can't see how they couldn't be, I took them out of identical Leggy wagons at pick apart.

The hub is very high, when I jack up the car with the wheel on there is nearly no gap between the tyre and guard, even with no struts and fully jacked up. I just have no idea what part could be bent.. if something is.

blackseb said:
Thought I'd bring this back and post here.

So have been pretty unsuccessful on installing the front struts. I'm assuming something must be bent from having the car sitting with no struts in it because the hub is a good 30cm or more when jacked up from being able to fit the strut in over the axle etc. I tried jacking the hub down and it started cambering out at the top with still 20cm or so before the strut could even fit...

Any insight's or anyone willing to give me a hand or a look would be seriously much appreciated.

Cheers

Glad to hear your getting it back on the road man,

With the struts you'll have to feed the top in 1st get that loosely bolted then put a fair bit of weight on the hub to get it low enough to get the strut in. Usually its a bit of a mish, You'll find that because its been sitting on the ground the bushes have settled at the new super low height so will require some persuasion.

Yeah I managed to put the engine pieces back together today and tried to turn it over with a screwdriver, only got the electrics going she refused to turn over so ill have to get it towed to the auto sparkys eventually.

Problem I am having is that I can't even get the top bolted in because the hub is sitting so high that the bottom of the strut is a fair way from going over either side of the sway bar/axle etc.

jacked the hub away from the guard and it started cambering it out so far I thought id stop. Any suggestions on how to pursuade it a good 30cm or so?

Could something have bent from sitting with no struts or is that unlikely?

Cheers for the help, hoping to get herr eventually

• Admin

Unlikely to have bent anything that much, if you haven't already I'd completely disconnect the swaybar then jump on the hubs.

Actually just to be sure, you haven't ended up with some rear struts have you? I've never seen them be THAT far out.

If you're still stuck I could probably come and have a looksee. Might be able to help with your electrical gremlins as well.

boon said:
Unlikely to have bent anything that much, if you haven't already I'd completely disconnect the swaybar then jump on the hubs.

Actually just to be sure, you haven't ended up with some rear struts have you? I've never seen them be THAT far out.

If you're still stuck I could probably come and have a looksee. Might be able to help with your electrical gremlins as well.

Your a GC

Yeah I'll try give disconnecting the sway bar a go, today hopefully and just try everything to persuade them in there. At least get some photos of what's going on.

Definately front struts, can confirm that much at least! :D

You truly are a GC, absolutely agree with that. I'll attempt to do as much as I can though for sure. See how today goes