Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Burning Clutch... ?

scooby-wrx

Hey guys,

I swapped the gearbox in my car a few months ago and fitted a brand new Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch at the same time. During the gearbox fitment I noticed a loud click when applying pressure to the clutch pedal, which only happened once so didn’t think too much of it as the clutch operated fine afterwards. While driving the car the other day I noticed what seems to be the clutch slipping and a burning smell…! The revs climb very fast and then settle back down high up in the rev range. This only occurs when I floor it, no issue at all when just cruising. I initially thought it was fluid related, but all seems in order apart from the fact that I no longer have a clutch fluid heat-shield due to relocating and fitting a V7 reservoir (to clear intercooler). Recently bought some heat shield material from Repco to make one.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas what could be causing the issue? I don’t want to have to remove the gearbox, but unfortunately it’s looking like I’ll have to as I must have done something wrong…

Thanks!

loner said:
sounds like you need a new clutch... you must have been hammering it for it to wear out so quickly.

Really...? If that's the case, I certainly won't be using another Exedy clutch! Never had any issues in the past... Its done less than 3 000km's.

I drive the car pretty hard as its my wkend car. Will inspect the clutch master cylinder this wkend.

scooby-wrx said:
Really...? If that's the case, I certainly won't be using another Exedy clutch! Never had any issues in the past... Its done less than 3 000km's.

I drive the car pretty hard as its my wkend car. Will inspect the clutch master cylinder this wkend.

Did you get the flywheel machined when you replaced the clutch?

• General Member

sounds like you might need to take a look, but yea I'm with loner on that, new clutch might be needed

nothing worng with exceedy , that click you heard worries me more than the brand (onto my 2nd exceedy myself in 10 years of owning my GTB over 100 000 kays on one clutch

Navin']Did you get the flywheel machined when you replaced the clutch?

Yes, had a light skim done.

Cheers

[quote name='Joker said:

sounds like you might need to take a look, but yea I'm with loner on that, new clutch might be needed

nothing worng with exceedy , that click you heard worries me more than the brand (onto my 2nd exceedy myself in 10 years of owning my GTB over 100 000 kays on one clutch

Me too initially, until I tried the clutch and it seemed fine. Something must have been wrong as I've done a few clutches and never heard the click before... Great, GB out again... Must be time for a 6 speed.

May have (x2) V3 STI RA DCCD boxes for sale towards the middle of next year.

Edited by scooby-wrx

3000 kilometres to wear out a clutch seems crazy. I got three years and countless 4-5k launches, dozens of autocrosses/ track days/ street sprints and more like 30,000 kilometres out of the unknown kms standard clutch in the coupe. Since replacing it with another oem clutch two years ago I've done a further ~20,000 kilometres, countless more launches/ autocrosses/ street sprints and daily traffic driving. The Legacy did an easy 100,000 kilometres on the factory clutch, and the first ~30,000 of those were /hard/; we only replaced it because cambelt.

the click will be the release bearing locking into the pressure plate . like its supposed to

"i fkd an exedy clutch in 3000k . exedy clutch is snit " lol

have you looked into / understand / adjusted the free play at the mastercylinder / pedal . it could be operating in closed loop and holding pressure on the clutch .

the clutch may not be fkd it . but it very will soon be if you dont sort it out . you really should be able to detect a slipping clutch before you can smell it .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input / advice guys, appreciate it.

Finally got around to having a look today and was going to start by bleeding the clutch and resetting the pedal but decided to pull the intercooler off to have a look at the slave cylinder / release fork etc... Noticed straight away the release fork spring was missing... I thought it was a bit slack when I fitted the gearbox etc so got a spare from pickapart in case I had issues (never crossed my mind). Anyway, I put the spare on, took it for a good long drive and it went great until the way back when it started slipping again! I peered under the intercooler and the second spring is gone!

I may have to try a shorter spring. Will there be any issues if the tension on the spring is a bit much?

15671499189_ec7d613604_b.jpg