Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbo Gone? help please

Try hard

This is my first Subaru in about 6 years, my last one scared me off. Anyway I've only just brought this Subaru Legacy 1998 GT BH5 wagon and have had it two days. The first day as I were going up a hill it begun blowing the blues, engine check light came on. I Ran diagnostics when I got home and found it was the oxygen sensor, ran it past a mate, he second the notion. So i replaced that the next morning, ran some upper head cleaner through it, Cleared the code and went for a good drive (like a nana) out of town. It seem to be more efficient on gas, everything seemed fine, but when you drive like a nana of course it does. Note I've always heard whining from what seemed the turbo/s, which I never had with my previous GTB, not like this. This sounds more clunky and erratic.

Returning to town I were going up a large hill and went to 'put the boot' up her, once in the 4k rev range all I could see in the rear vision mirror was white smoke and smell burning oil, there was no boost following the primary, in fact a drop in power. I thought the "secondary is gone". It would also explain the 02 sensor going I guess from all the residue passing by it.

Can people please confirm this is most likely what's happened. Looking at the secondary it is filthy. Unlike the primary, which I do feel kick in about 3k revs. Just confirm Primary passenger side, Secondary drivers side?

Edited by Try hard

That's exactly it Rosssub, fine until 4k then as you say smokes like a train, maybe even worse. Thank you so much for the link :)

Oh yes of course 94 Leone, my bad. I searched for the rear 02 sensor and couldn't find one. I'm thinking it's probably had quite a bit of neglect under the hood.

It is also going through quite a bit of oil, and found some on the ground where I'd parked it as well. It seems everything is pointing at needing to replaced the secondary then :(

Edited by Try hard

Just unbolt the downpipe and have a look at how much oil is or isn't in there

If it helps they're worth sweet f-a and once the downpipe is off you're half way to removing it

Easier to just unbolt the core and pull that out rather than trying to crack the up-pipe bolts too

Hope you got it cheap

I'm not even going to say how much I paid. The lad who sold it talked a lot of **** is all I can say. I were deceived well :/. But private sale, what are ya going to do.

On a side note. If a vf27 becomes hard to find, what would be another good replacement for it that can bolt on. I don't really want to mess with this car a lot, and pump endless money into it.

Edited by Try hard

Would anything be salvageable on the shagged vf27? I were thinking since I'll be swapping the secondary out anyway, how about try improve upon the initial response of the VF26.

This can be achieved by converting the VF26 from sleeve to a ball bearing turbo.Purchase a VF27 and have the CHRA swapped into the VF26.

• 1 month later...

You have to be careful when the turbo starts smoking. There is always a cause behind it and nine time out of ten it because the car has not had regular oil changes or has had the wrong type of oil used in the engine. in non turbo car its important but not as important as with a turbo car because the turbo gets a hell of a lot hotter and the oil is being used to cool the turbo. When the oil get old you get a carbon buildup in the turbo bearing and they eventually get gummed up and fail. Once that happen the oil will then be able to make its way past the seal into the exhaust and sometimes also into the compressor side where it gets mostly burnt due to the heat and it will then start smoking. This will be the issue you have.

The problem is that the oil that getting back into the inlet will be fouling your plugs, and also fouling the inside of your intercooler and piping. It also usually makes it way through the primary turbo and fouls that also. The new O2 sensor will also be getting ruined again because its once again being ruined by the oil in the system that should not normally be there.

You can replace or have the CHRA rebuilt and balanced but make sure you also clean out the pipes and intercooler if it has oil and also check the pipes running to the turbo for carbon or oil sludge buildup because if you don't do this and just replace the turbo it will once again fail in a short space of time.

If its your fist time playing with a car like this then it may seem like a big deal but really so long as you do the job properly and take you time its not as bad as it sounds. It more a matter of howe deep your pockets are and how far you want to go when you fix it.

You can quickly see if the turbo is leaking oil by removing the exhaust and seeing it its all full of oil, you should also then check the CHRA and also the intercooler as they will help you determine where the real issue is. If the pipes are sludge's you should also replace then at the same time that you replace or repair the turbo and do the oil change.