Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Servicing help.

Nick89

Hey all. I drive a 1998 Impreza. 2 litre auto...naturally aspirated. Economic and reliable, crazy boring too. Its about due for a service, and I want to give it a fairly thorough going over. What spark plugs do these things like? And oil? Last service I gave it some castrol 10w-40w....seems fine, but if these things like a different oil, enlighten me! And air filter.....just grab a repco replacement one? Cheers.

kamineko said:
does an NA really require those fancy plugs? wouldn't a new set of copper's be fine?

plugs are easy enough to inspect anyway. no harm to check first

All fancy plugs do is increase service life they dont give you better spark.

kwi_fozze said:
Platinum or iridium plugs, go through 41 automotive for a sharp price, as most outlets will try to sting you $35 each or more.

10w40 should be fine on an older higher milage subie

and yeah repco filter should be fine. Stay away from fram oil filters though

Why stay away from Fram...? I've used them on my car for 7 years without any issue.

There is a lot people don't know about filtration. Key thing being that most genuine filters do not come from the genuine factory just like oils. Its all rebrand stuff built by a third party. A lot of people steering away from ryco - look for made in china on the box thats when noticeable issues started happening. Pretty much every filter is built by a third party filter plant these days as its more cost effective thats why the sakura lads in jakarta make over 30 oems and heaps of others like fram, repcos own brand, donaldson, cummins, isuzu etc ive got the pics at work. All built to a spec tho so if you cut a repco/silverline and sakura you will see the diff in pleats and build quality. Ill stick with sakura for mine. Instead of having 1 filter built for 20 apps they build a filter for the app. Only thing is you end up with a 100 filters that are pretty much identical bar media inside and slight bypass differences. They build a specific cross for sub thats what i use not a z79x equivalent not that running anything else will kill your car im just picky. Reality is anything should work just fine but most people only believe the first thing they hear about filtration/oil and take it as gospel. If its premium why is it premium?

I gave up on Fram when i run my finger around the inside of the thread on one and notice bits of metal shavings on my finger,Also most of the engines i have seen run beb have had fram filters, A while ago i heard repco changed from ryco to a cheap and nasty china filter. But hey like you say they make them in the same place or even made in the same factory but the end quality of a genuine filter is going to be better than likes of a wix/fram/repco filter and the oem one is usually cheaper anyway, not just talking about the filtration side of a filter, good eample of notable difference is the rubber seal is better quality on a oem and is pre oiled already when the others aren't, never seen a oem filter leak but seen others leak,

You could also say the same thing about h beam rods, for example eagle and manley are made in the same place but the finish quality of a manley rod is much better than a eagle and can be had for about the same price.

Cheers for the feedback guys. Interesting read about the quality of the filter manufacturing process too. I think I will change the plugs anyhow....the little bits of servicing i've done on it so far like belts etc, have really shown me how badly the last owner looked after it. Alternator belt was split round the middle, but he CLAIMS to have had the cambelt done. Getting a bit worried......ah well. Cheers guys.

Very interesting I work at repco and we have Ryco then repco and at the bottom we have silverline of the price range although silverline is made from Donaldson where as repco filter are imported but at the end of the day I use Ryco filters or go genuine

markw336 said:
Very interesting I work at repco and we have Ryco then repco and at the bottom we have silverline of the price range although silverline is made from Donaldson where as repco filter are imported but at the end of the day I use Ryco filters or go genuine

Lol time to do some research dude. From your post it looks like you think donaldsons made in nz. The sakura factory are 40% owned by donaldson by memory but yes thats where your silverline comes from. Donaldson use filter plants all over the world like most other companies.

A filter is surprisingly basic if you cut one apart but most people have no idea what anti drain and bypass mean lol. Let alone put our chopped units back together. Photos put paid to a lot of bull**** theory but im not putting them up on here.