Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EWG flutter caused by EBC?

hunter951

Hi Guys...

Ok so im going to buy a GFB G-force II EBC for my V7 wrx sti... i will also fit a tial 38MM at the same time. My only concern is will a EBC make the waste gate "flutter" due to the rapid pulsing of the EBC to control boost? Is this right? Theres several videos on youtube were the open gate sounds like crap, they all tend to have grimmspeed 3-port btw.

This video in particular

but then theres some videos with amazing EWGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oppmPmoCgJg

Edited by hunter951

If youre running the stock VF30 you definitely don't need an external. Spend the money you wouldve spent on that and the ebc on a 3 port and tune from gotasuby. If you want a nice sounding external you have your priorities all wrong imho. For ref I made 22psi by 3.5k with a VF22 and 3 port on non avcs heads...

Go talk to gotasuby and believe less internet.

evowrx said:
If youre running the stock VF30 you definitely don't need an external. Spend the money you wouldve spent on that and the ebc on a 3 port and tune from gotasuby. If you want a nice sounding external you have your priorities all wrong imho. For ref I made 22psi by 3.5k with a VF22 and 3 port on non avcs heads...

Go talk to gotasuby and believe less internet.

I have a tune<<<< yes a tune, and im am pretty sure its by gotasuby? anywho Why should i spend and not spend money regarding what people think? ill spend my monmey on what i want. all i asked was a question, no reason for everyone to be arse holes.

Find another internet that agrees with you lol. Target boost will change the sound too. If you want a *****in gate noiz 4 dem *****es then throw in a 7psi spring and dont run any boost control. It will sound exactly like you want it to. The tune will need tweaking if you change boost control/gate. If you want to spend 600+fab for no kw gain go for gold it is your money after all. Not being an arsehole but call it as you see it by all means.

evowrx said:
Find another internet that agrees with you lol. Target boost will change the sound too. If you want a *****in gate noiz 4 dem *****es then throw in a 7psi spring and dont run any boost control. It will sound exactly like you want it to. The tune will need tweaking if you change boost control/gate. If you want to spend 600+fab for no kw gain go for gold it is your money after all. Not being an arsehole but call it as you see it by all means.

BTW i wasnt aiming the arse hole thing at you. I acknowledge your opinion and what you are saying. Price wise to actually do it i have a close friend who is a welder/engineer so cost of doi9ng it is actually low. Anywho, price range and all of that wasnt my question. all i wonted to know is will a EBC cause the Wastegate to "flutter"? Is it to do with people running the wrong wastegate spring and only adjusting the boost with the EBC? ie... using a 10psi spring but tell the ebc to run 20....?

Ah now that youve removed the part about ebc/gate or ebc/internal it looks like im just being a tool rather than answering your q. In reference to that, what i said above applies. I dont know enough about the flutter biz to be able to help all i know is with a straight spring no ebc it doesnt flutter so im guessing youre right. Its not so much the wrong spring tho but more the low boost setting you want to run. Im 14psi low and 20psi high easy to tune open loop and no fluctuation. Plumbed in legal so cant hear it.

god does this thread fail hard .

i want to bogan up my car but i dont want it to sound like this other bogan car in this incredibly **** you tube link shot on a phone that we are all listening to on laptops or smart phones ,and ive dreamt up a problem the rest of the world has never encountered with the most commonly accepted method of boost control

lachlan said:
god does this thread fail hard .

i want to bogan up my car but i dont want it to sound like this other bogan car in this incredibly **** you tube link shot on a phone that we are all listening to on laptops or smart phones ,and ive dreamt up a problem the rest of the world has never encountered with the most commonly accepted method of boost control

So this:

isn't caused by an EBC? A friends Legacy with a TD05 and a boost tap made that kind of noise.. *shrug* I'm not expert!

Anyway, if Hunter is aware that there's no benefit currently and it's not legal for a venting wastegate, let him have some fun.

Timmah said:
So this:
isn't caused by an EBC? A friends Legacy with a TD05 and a boost tap made that kind of noise.. *shrug* I'm not expert!

Anyway, if Hunter is aware that there's no benefit currently and it's not legal for a venting wastegate, let him have some fun.

I've had that problem when i had a vac/boost leak

hunter951 said:
There's nothing dumber than negative input on someone's else's thread. I'm not a mechanic, I don't know **** about engines and I admit that so I asked a simple question. Can't help me then don't reply, no need to be rude and obnoxious.

Your Right! Timmah stop being so bloody rude! haha

• Admin
 hunter951 said:
There's nothing dumber than negative input on someone's else's thread. I'm not a mechanic, I don't know **** about engines and I admit that so I asked a simple question. Can't help me then don't reply, no need to be rude and obnoxious.

Check out the difference between the replies you got here and the ones on your fuel surge thread.

Generally speaking this forum doesn't have a lot of time for things like venting wastegates because they're pointless show-off **** on a road car that only results in more negative attention for owners of performance cars.

Edit: The fluttering is the gate/EBC doing its job properly, i.e keeping the maximum flow through the turbo possible without overboosting.

If you want to make your car run less efficiently or make less power just so you can make an obnoxious noise, well, go ahead.

Edited by boon

Lol being rude and obnoxious is what this forum is known for ;)

EWG Faq

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/102111-ewg-faq-external-wastegate.html

Something Clark Turner (Big in the subaru tuning world) has to say about ewg. His advice >>>>> anybody on this forum.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9197121&postcount=1

Ive heard of these flutter's but mostly on usdm cars, some say its normal however i was reading on one of the threads at nasioc or iwsti that there is a cure for it.

Edited by kris_pran

Most of the oscillating sound goes back to what duty the controller is using to get the required boost level, gate valve size or flow amount vs required amount to be bypassed and its position in the manifold in reference to the exhaust pulses. I.e if flow is low but the gate is huge and the controller is at a low duty % because every time the gate opens boost drops under target its gunna make that noise. If its located in a very uneven area of flow it will make that noise

I had to run about 10% duty for whatever reason on a VR4 I had, sounded ridiculous vented, like this "RAH" noise twice a second speeding up a bit with rpm. Used a garden tap fitting super pro bleed valve instead and got all that sweet wasteygate noise I ever dreamed of

Novelty wore off after about a week, much like driving something ridic low, once you get over yourself trying to look sik azz you just want something you can fang about without fear of getting it impounded

And at the track is the last place you want it, you're wearing a helmet and can't half hear it anyway and if (when) you **** up a shift it means it's that much more obvious and you look even worse getting pasted by something quieter (please see: old V8's running on headers only, getting smoked by near silent newer models also)