Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 WRX STI fuel surge

hunter951

Hi guys

Ok so i have been having a fuel surge issue since i put my DW200 fuel pump in. along with 3" exhaust and tune. It occurs when i corner sharply to the right with my foot hard up it, after changing gears the car will "jerk, stutter, pause" then take off like normal. It occurs only when im on 1/2 or below tank level. Apparently this is common in Subbies, especially with a higher powered Fuel pump....

has anyone else experienced this? Is there a cheap way to fix it?

PLEASE dont reply just put more gas in... because when you have 50 bucks worth of gas in your tank i shouldn't need to put more in....

I have heard that aftermarket fuel pumps use a smaller fuel filter than the OEM one... and by simply using my OEM one it will help. ( im yet to try this as im wrapping up uni for the year, so will try in a few weeks)

Obviously and surge tank would work - but that's $$$ i can spend on other stuff so im looking for a cheap solution! Possibly inserting some partions into the tank? stop the slosh - i believe the spec-C have these factory.

Cheers

Stick the factory sock on the dw fuel pump, it helps a lot as the a/m socks are a lot smaller and sit higher in the tank. Someone here had a design for a sheet steel home made tank that wraps around the stock filter sock, helps reduce the surge to below 1/4 tank if i remember correctly.

In the mean time i STRONGLY recommend not doing it, as running it lean like that will kill your engine

kwi_fozze said:
Stick the factory sock on the dw fuel pump, it helps a lot as the a/m socks are a lot smaller and sit higher in the tank. Someone here had a design for a sheet steel home made tank that wraps around the stock filter sock, helps reduce the surge to below 1/4 tank if i remember correctly.

In the mean time i STRONGLY recommend not doing it, as running it lean like that will kill your engine

Cheers ill give that a go in a few weeks. yea i have avoided it ever since it occurred.

I also have this problem in my v4 sti gf8 when taking sharp left handers on a slight rise.

I dont have the standard sock anymore so will order one through wingers at some point.

My fuel light has also changed points where it turns on - turns on much much later than it used to (I assume something got knocked when installed)

hunter951'][quote name='GC8E2DD said:
URL=http://s687.photobucket.com/user/GC8E2DD/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140907_145003_zpsc1eibg2v.jpg.html]

Is that the OEM one installed? or a large aftermarket one?

I believe it is Oem compared to the tiny aftermarket on the right

ok, so i managed to get a response from DW and this is waht they said....

"in general yes, the filter sock can act as the pick-up point for the fuel and if not located in the right place in the tank this can occur. That is part of our application specific fitment kits, to address this to be sure the proper pieces are included with the pump for that specific application."

The last bit he says application specific.... well yes i did by a specific setup for my car and it DOESNT work.

Stock filter is absolutely fine to big power no benefit to swapping it out unless its in need of a change. There is a few joints that do the socks if thats what you're talking about but stick with the stock one larger/smaller sock won't cause any issues/benefits unless the pickup point height is different.

They actually 'hold' a significant amount of fuel too (in that it takes a number of seconds to drain that oem sucker out).

Weird that you get starvation turning left ADIKT, that is pooling by the pickup. You usually get it shortly after the culprit corner; however long it takes to pull that air along the fuel lines. My car doesn't cut on barrel turns, it cuts 50 metres down the road on WOT. Maybe your whole pump cradle assembly is bent or otherwise wonky? Would explain the fuel light change too.

For a long time I just treated half a tank as empty. It is an easy habit to get into if you have even a tiny bit of discipline. You put your $20 on top of the half full tank. You go back to the station at half again.

johnny5 said:
Im pretty sure the stock sock angles downwards and the deatschwerks was more straight which is where the problem lies I think and is the reason I left it off and got a new stock sock

Version 8 STI pump/sock I brought as a spare for my wagon:

V8_STI_pump_sock_002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

just did the swap.... the dw200 sock and factory sock are the exact same size.... BUT i noticed the dw200 sock was a really sloppy fit compared the the OEM one,im guessing this may have be creating the issue. So iv put my factory one back on and hopefully its allgood.

just for interest i was just under 1/2 tank, and i mean i little bit... and around a mellow right hander 2nd gear hard up it and it surge going into 3rd.... and i thought i would have been allg... :/