Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Froged CDB or new v7 sti subaru shorty ?

slystiguy

Which option do you think is better?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you think is better?

• Forge the original CDB
    • Buy a new v7 STI short block

So I'm working again and starting to budget and save towards fixing my rs legacy..I blew the head gasket not long ago. It's an old block 250,000kms on her now assuming original. So I figure rather than just replace the gasket I may as well use this as an excuse to get some engine work done.

I have decided to use ej20r heads mainly because of availability but I also picked them up for a good price.

The question is do I budget towards a new short block from subaru or should I forge the CDB on there currently? Looking at prices over the net I could probably bring in a forge kit for around the same as what a new short block will cost (maybe slightly less even?) But then there's having the block machined and the extra cost involved in building a full engine...

Has anyone been down this road before? What did you do? What would you do differently?

Tips/advice

Oh and where do you guys recommend buying forged parts from?

Cheers

20140220_170235_zps47cad164.jpg

I voted for cdb, Rebuild it would be money better spent imo.

Although it does depend on your power goals and a new v7 scdb shorty will be alot more user friendly as its basically drop in, the forged cdb will be the stronger option as the v7 pistons and rods become weak points. I think i read somewhere your budget is 3g? you need more than that dude for either option.. just the gaskets/seals and timing belt kit will cost more than 1g and expect the machining and boring to suit pistons cost over $500, going to all that effort might aswell forge it

If i had a good centre thrust crank and cdb i would go with the forged cdb idea or machine out for new rt crank and get block machined to fit rt bearings etc.

Also a bear v7 block might also be a good option if you can find one and buy new crank plus forged parts

Cheers for the input dude. Some good points to think about. I know forged is going to cost a fair chunk, but it also leaves me some room for future turbo mods. Hard to decide haaha. Can get a decent block from fbssub1 for a fair price so might look at that but still a little out of reach atm, unless I part with my goodies :(

I'm thinking long term here would buy bits as the money allowed and just keep building up until I had it ready! No rush what so ever on this plan.

Right now on the current engine we have 250,00kms. Leaking rocker covers, blown head gasket and cambelt due. So would be silly to spend money on this without refreshing it eh

If he got a shorty v7/v8 semi closed going for good price you would be silly not to jump on it as they don't come around very often and every man and his subaru want one or a spare,

But If you compare the cost of a v7 sti short block new from subaru and a built forged cdb the difference is only about 1-2g so not really a lot you just have to know where to buy from.

hijacka said:
If he got a shorty v7/v8 semi closed going for good price you would be silly not to jump on it as they don't come around very often and every man and his subaru want one or a spare,

But If you compare the cost of a v7 sti short block new from subaru and a built forged cdb the difference is only about 1-2g so not really a lot you just have to know where to buy from.

Brians got my old shortie spare now since you got heads.

evowrx said:
Brians got my old shortie spare now since you got heads.

I thought he sold it already? i know can't wait to they arrive, dropped a cdb off to reconditions today get should get it bk Friday so hopefully the heads will arrive this week and i can piece it together

This was more just a guidance topic as I plan out my savings and budget again. I've been unemployed for almost 6 months and just working now but yea Christmas/birthdays coming up so just gotta knuckle down and save hard for a wee while. It will still happen and it's high on the list. Just slightly out of reach for now. I wish I'd gone this way instead of spending heaps on that lemon twisted setup. It's gutting that I can't grab that engine now while it's there because that would be amazing and it's pretty much everything I was want for this car. Lesson learned I guess!

hijacka said:
I thought he sold it already? i know can't wait to they arrive, dropped a cdb off to reconditions today get should get it bk Friday so hopefully the heads will arrive this week and i can piece it together

No idea he sells/buys stuff in less time than it takes me to lay a log. Shouldnt you be deshrouding them and running them on the 2.5? Good ports.

evowrx said:
No idea he sells/buys stuff in less time than it takes me to lay a log. Shouldnt you be deshrouding them and running them on the 2.5? Good ports.

Nah i've already pour/wasted heaps of coin on the v3/v4 heads to suite it.

How come the froged block is losing lol?

I wonder what the weight difference is between the 2x bare blocks?

I would think the older cdb are more dense casting, i've seen one spin a bore lining before had really bad headgasket issue but still run, never seen one crack the block from beb failure.

If i have time and can get a set of scales i will weigh both bare blocks up, the linings looked same thickness from eyeballing them