Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy & Outback questions- before I buy

angie

Good morning...

We intend to buy a Subaru station wagon, approx 2008 age-wise... looking at 2007, 2008, 2009 models.

According to the dog and lemon guide the 'linear' CVT transmissions die young. We would prefer a Subaru to a Honda Accord or Mazda Atenza wagon but one of the reasons for a Jap wagon is reliability with young children and reduced running costs compared to our Euro cars we have at present. Any thoughts on the trannies? The guide was very specific that these may be short lived.

Do NZ New and imported cars of these years have different transmissions?

Also are there any differences in terms of quality NZ new vs imports? What to watch for?

We dont want a Remuera tractor but the thought of 'better' suspension on the Outback over the Legacy would be worth consideration. We dont drive fast but the Outback looks to sit higher so wondering would an Outback be a car that doesnt handle as well as a Lagacy on normal roads? A family member has a Forrester and I hate the way it drives, makes you motion sick on the passenger side when on winding roads.

I assume all 4 corners have CV joints and that all are AWD? What sort of lifespan do these have as most used cars in our age range in NZ start off with a speedo of 50000 to 80,000 km or so.

All of these are cam belt driven so all of these should have this changed at around 80,ooo km? Or are some chain driven?

We are preferring a non turbo wagon. The 2.5 L seems adequate.

All helpful hints, comments and suggestions greatfull received.

Thanks!

Angie

For the years you're interested in, it's unlikely you'll come across many CVT Lineartronics. They started to appear in 2009, but you're more likely to see standard four and five speed automatics (five speed for turbo and 3.0). Outbacks are a worse drive on regular roads thanks to their suspension, but have better ground clearance. Cam belts need changing every 100,000 km or so on the 2.0 and 2.5 engines, and a full service is around $1000, so not a big deal in the grand scale of car maintenance. 3.0 H6 motors use a chain, but will still need an extensive service (albeit less expensive) at around the same age.

The 3l engines are better on gas than the 2.5s, and in nearly aspect are cheeper to buy, run, maintain, repair and insure than euros.

In regards to the forester, the rear swaybar in those are a joke, a replacement with a wrx / sti piece is a night and day difference. In all honesty, you may find the same issue with the outback, the legacies seem to be a lot better but there are plenty of aftermarket options to tighten up the bodyroll

kwi_fozze said:
The 3l engines are better on gas than the 2.5s, and in nearly aspect are cheeper to buy, run, maintain, repair and insure than euros.

In regards to the forester, the rear swaybar in those are a joke, a replacement with a wrx / sti piece is a night and day difference. In all honesty, you may find the same issue with the outback, the legacies seem to be a lot better but there are plenty of aftermarket options to tighten up the bodyroll

The 3l are worse on gas than the 2.5 especially round town

As previously mentioned the Lineartronic CVT doesn't come in until abit later, and mainly on Impreza's until the really new stuff. Even then they are alot more reliable than the previous generations of CVTs.

As for the NZ new vs Jap import. You get the good and the bad with both. Jap cars have been used on amazingly smooth roads so suspension tends to have less wear, but they tend to view cars as throw away items so unless youve got someone who has looked after their car, chances are its been thrashed. NZ new youll get a service history (I hope, in the KM range your looking at) most likely a 1 owner car (thats what id go for)and more likely looked after.

The best thing to do (when buying any 2nd hand car)is not tie yourself down by saying I won't buy an import etc. Stay open for anything and thats where you'll get the best deals. And always drive a range of cars with and see which one you like best.

This is coming from a guy who went for a browse around the yards one saturday and drove an 03 GTB home.... ;)

3.0 is really thirsty around town, much better on open roads. I've done almost 6,000km in mine and kept one counter going from day one - 8.7km/l which is 11.5l/km, that is 60% Auckland city traffic and 40% motorway/open road and not driving like a nana. Had about the same consumption in my old BH5 GTB.

Difference between the 2.5 and the 3 is quite noticeable, test drove many when we were looking at them. Ended up going for the 3L as the 2.5 felt gutless in comparison. 3L also has the 5 speed so a bit nicer on longer trips. Get around 8km/l city which isn't great, but gets much higher when on the motorway. Overall really good cars, can't go wrong!

Thanks sofar.

Is there a useful website that compares the 2.5 L to the 3 L legacy wagons in terms of 'performance', running costs, reliability?

Are the 2.5 and 3 L cars front wheel drive? all wheel drive? rear wheel?

I think we have gone off the idea of considering the Outback as it seems unnecessary for a car that wont touch a blade of grass.

I think having owned a Legacy turbo 15 years ago has put me off turbos altogether.

I guess imports will have the jap navigation system that's expensive to pull out and replace?

The other options we were considering: Mazda and Honda approx. 2008/2009. But the Mazda seems boring and the Honda seems to be aiming for the retirement village customers... Anyone else been through this process? What made you decide on the Legacy?

Thanks again!

Angie