Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Perrin header for a v7 wrx sti? 2.5L oilpan & pickup replacment needed?

hunter951

Hi everyone!

Ok so im looking into getting a set of equal length headers for my 2001 v7 WRX STI, really want perrin. The issue with pretty much all equal lenght headers is, i dont have the clearance with my OEM 2.0L oil pan. According to perrin i need to replace mine with a OEM 2.5L oil pan and oil pick.....

So my question is......... Will a OEM 2.5L oil pan and pick up just bolt straight on? I would be looking at getting a 2nd hand one to try and keep prices down, as the headers alone are dear as hell!!!! If anyone has done this sort of thing or can lend some handy advice would be greatly apprectiated.

Car mods as of today (for reference if it helps)

- 3" TBE

- DW200 fuel pump

- Open source tuned on 19psi by a chch guru

end goal if to get max power out of the factory engine... so future mods are

- headers - up pipe with EWG

- EBC

- Might look into getting steve murch to do a few mods to my turbo

- might replace injectors....

- more tuning, tuning tuning...

would love to have 350 whp... currently sitting on 280 whp

Cheers!

Dont bother with headers unless you want the tuned sound. Im going to mod stock t/s headers to suit s/s up pipe same as perrin at some stage but why not just go full t/s now and be done with it?

Decapping your injectors will net you 800-900cc and give you plenty of headroom.

Would recommend murch cheap and excellent work just don't expect it overnight as hes a busy man. Better off throwing him another turbo to sort so you can still drive your car. My TD05/6 hybrid jobbie is the shiznit 20psi.4k and lower egbp than massive turbos and most people on here said it wouldnt/couldn't work.

Sounds like you have a solid plan look forward to seeing results.

• Admin
 Rosssub said:
It's the twin scroll sump your after. Grab a twin scroll pickup to, to avoid having to bend your original to suit. Twin scroll dip stick is also shorter, but you can trim the original and set new marks on it.

Check yourself bro... the USDM stuff, which is what the Perrin gear is made to fit, doesn't have anything twinscroll.

If you mean this header:

http://perrinperformance.com/i-13323964-equal-length-header-for-2002-15-wrx-sti.html

Then it will fit straight up, 2002 WRX USDM is EJ205, same sump (only yanks call it an "Oil Pan" by the way) as your EJ207.

EDIT: Hrm some conflicting info out there, apparently their STI has a different sump, I'm confused. Even more reason not to buy this header.

But this is all a moot point, by the time you get those headers out here you will probably be close to $1500 in the hole.

Just buy some SSI headers (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-793946764.htm) and spend the other $900 on hookers and blow. Or petrol. Or mods that make you go faster. Whatever floats your boat.

And just to throw it out there, if you buy a US brand EWG uppipe, I can almost guarantee it won't fit, almost all of them put the gate and plumbing right where the steering column and brake master cylinder sit, because they don't have them.

Edited by boon

boon said:
Check yourself bro... the USDM stuff, which is what the Perrin gear is made to fit, doesn't have anything twinscroll.

Then it will fit straight up, 2002 WRX USDM is EJ205, same sump (only yanks call it an "Oil Pan" by the way) as your EJ207.

EDIT: Hrm some conflicting info out there, apparently their STI has a different sump, I'm confused. Even more reason not to buy this header.

The usdm STI sump is the same as the jdm twin scroll sump isn't it:

M116802057

The US has a heap of JDM engines/gear floating around over there as well. Im going to replicate those headers like f*ck I would ever pay that money for them. Better off getting the SSI ones and getting the better 3 bolt flange. Hell they even come with an up pipe so you can do with the ****ty factory item.

The perrin header in pic must run the t/s sump.

evowrx said:
Im going to mod stock t/s headers to suit s/s up pipe same as perrin at some stage ...

Not to derail the thread, but, why wouldn't you make a twin->single uppipe (the so called '1.5 scroll') instead of modding the headers? Probably worth another thread actually.

thanks guys, i thought it was something like that. I know i want a decent set of equal length headers the only ones that really stood out ot me for quality and "gains" was perrin...? anything decent that i have seen only suit the twin scroll sump. As for the EWG, i know some talented people with a welder, so i can do that myself.

GC8E2DD said:
Not to derail the thread, but, why wouldn't you make a twin->single uppipe (the so called '1.5 scroll') instead of modding the headers? Probably worth another thread actually.

E is my reasoning.

A/ Stock headers are cheap

B/ I dont need T/S spools fine as is

C/ Keeps all things equal/well more so anyway

D/ Sounds awesome

E/ Less header volume

F/ I can drop my S/S up pipe out with turbo in place no idea if thats possible with T/S.

If I was going to run a T/S up pipe/stock location why not just run it T/S. Pain in the arse twisting 2 pipes+gate.

hunter951 said:
thanks guys, i thought it was something like that. I know i want a decent set of equal length headers the only ones that really stood out ot me for quality and "gains" was perrin...? anything decent that i have seen only suit the twin scroll sump. As for the EWG, i know some talented people with a welder, so i can do that myself.

Perrin document gains which looks great. I would be willing to bet that there wouldnt be much difference between stock headers and perrin. If you know someone with a welder save yourself some money and edit stock headers.

hunter951 said:
anyway to answer my question... will a twin scroll sump bolt onto my setup? Or no? are those SSI ones on trademe equal length? quallity looks keep compared to perrin....

What does S/S and T/S stand for... im a bit of a noob with car stuff....

Yep direct bolt up just get windage tray/baffly thing, sump and pickup as Ross said. And as above s/s = single, t/s = twin.

ohkay sweet! thankyou. Not sure what ill do yet, just seeing what options there are.

- Is it worth changing to twin scroll or no? Would a V8 header - uppipe - turbo - sump etc bolt straight on with tune???? now im losed to where looking into twin scroll would yeild more gains?