Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RWD Gearbox

Zach

Found mint RWD gearbox on tm. Apparently Ill need beefer axles for rwd wrx (running standard wrx powertrain). It's only 250 for the box so it's cheap thrills really. Do I need r180 upgrade for this? or can I use standard r160 + beefer axles? and where would I get beefer axles from? sti r180 ones or something? any info would be mint.

From what I gather the gearbox just has the center diff removed/wielded. Would I need to delete my front axles? anything else involved with this conversion. If it's a can of worms im not gona bother cuz as I said this is just cheap thrills (cheap thrills being a budget of $800)

Just do it and see how you go. What version wrx do you have the pre V5- are weaker than V5- and V1/2 are weaker again. Personally I would just do it its obviously just for hooning and not competition purposes so not a biggie if it pops a squat mid intersection not that that would ever happen as you wont be doing skids on the road right...?

Nar I know what people think of me and stuff but I'm actually not one of those guys that does skids in intersections, I've blatted my car around gravel roads before way outside ashburton and big grass patches that are being land scaped but that's it, and 70ks rounds the hills but that's legal. Reason I want to give this a try is I like the idea of a ej powering only 2 wheels instead of the full awd. On forza converting to rwd upped the hp a lot lol. will I try drift it? yea for sure but not round city roads :)

I wont put the box in myself, if Laaden has time Ill ask him but while the box is out I may as well up the axles if there so notoriously weak, could I get away with axles upgrade only? or do the axels only fit r180 which required hubs etc too. Car is version 2 wrx

Edited by Zach

I got a N/a ej25 rwd bg9 and i can say your axles will last you alot longer if you slide it rather than dropping the clutch from a standstill. Shock loading is what kills axles real quick. Mine felt alot more responsive going from awd auto to rwd manual so would probably be worth your time and effort to give it a go. Just remember if you snap an axle and your rear diff isnt welded, then you wont be going anywhere haha

• Haha 1

Nothing shortcut about it other than it saves you swapping the entire box over. I've swapped a centre in place and its not without frustration but definitely possible. It will be the same deal inside the box you're buying.

So diff get's wielded and axels removed. Is there a better method out of curiosity? I'm sorta wondering if the center diff will still tax some power while the power is on its way to the rear? I wont be doing standstills or clutch kicking ever

Edited by Zach

lol @ shortcut method . you can swap a whole gearbox . or you can unbolt the back bit off the gearbox and achieve the same thing .

never mind the unknown gearbox you getting aswell

if u dont weld the centre diff there will be a powerloss . once u weld it it is all direct drive to the rear as per any other rwd

You can weld the centre diff and also cut the output shaft on the centre diff which spins the front diff to (maybe) decrease power loss. Also if you do that then you dont have to remove the front axles because they are basically there for show now - plus you wont get picked up on a WOF for not having them in.

Thanks andy, gnarly as answers guys thanks alot ey. And if the dif is wielded does that mean I dont need to worry about the final drive to rear diff ratio? like can I put a 4.4 r180 and keep my 4.1 final drive rwd box? Cheers thanks again big helps.