Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine noise - tapping/clunking/knocking?

SpeedySub

Hi all

Just notice a noise coming from my engine. This mainly seems to happen from just after start up, but seems to go away just before I get to work/home (about 20 -25min). The noise sounds like its coming from the passengers side of the engine, but can't be sure. The noise sounds like a knocking/taping at idle and is quite noticeable when driving slowly under 25000rpm. It reminds me of a diesel type sound. It is loud enough to be noticeable in the cabin while sitting in traffic with stereo off. Does any one have any ideas what it could be? The car is still under warranty at the dealers but would like to know what it could potentially be (I usually don't like going in without some knowledge)before taking it in. Car is 1998 250T with 154,000kms on the clock and oil level is correct, water is fine and not over heating. I will try to post a video with the sound but have had trouble in the past.

Rosssub said:
Could just be the valve clearances need adjusting (valve shims changed). Guessing the 250T is shim over bucket valve lifters?

Have been doing some investigation, apparently the lifters are solid (correct me if wrong). Also could just be piston slap, have read a few posts on different sites that sound like a similar noise, but listening to the clips doesn't quite sound like mine. Mine sounds more deep when in the car (haven't been able to listen to it under the hood yet. Also note that I have only noticed it in the last couple of days.

Marky said:
Step one: Remember warranty

Step two: Take to dealer when noise is apparent, remember step one, and let the problem be someone elses

If (and if) it's something termina then better it gets sorted sooner than later

Yeah definatly remember the warranty- the reason I went for a dealer this time! I really just want a bit of background before taking it to the dealer, as I really don't want take it to them and have them say its normal, then once out of warranties it s**ts itself. I do trust the dealer, but just after the problems with my last car I want to cover all the bases. I have also heard that it can be the Timing belt tensioner, not sure if that has been replaced when the belt was done.

Rosssub said:
Might pay to at least pop the bonnet and listen then? To pin point exactly where the noise is coming from.

That was the plan for tonight. Was going to do it yesterday but with the head cold I had I couldn't be bothered. I did check when I got home on Monday when I first noticed the noise but when I got home it had seemed to have disappeared.

I'm experiencing something similar in my ej208. I heard Grahame's wrx making a similar noise, but quieter last week at the meet, and someone said it was piston slap, since it goes away when it's warm. I was thinking that it was the tensioner not working properly when it's cold at lower revs-mine is most noticeable below 1750 rpm, and it sounds similar to what my toyota motor did when the tensioner and chain guides had gone. I figured mine couldn't be piston slap since I drove from wellington to Taupo and the noise was there when we pulled into Taupo, but left after we did some sight seeing at the huka falls.

It's makes a slapping, thunking noise in mine, and I youtube'd "subaru timing chain noise" and it sounded quite like that. Maybe try the same and see if the same noise comes up?

I'll also add that I've lifted the bonnet and it seems that it's coming from the passenger side too

Edited by Jared

Jared said:
I'm experiencing something similar in my ej208. I heard Grahame's wrx making a similar noise, but quieter last week at the meet, and someone said it was piston slap, since it goes away when it's warm. I was thinking that it was the tensioner not working properly when it's cold at lower revs-mine is most noticeable below 1750 rpm, and it sounds similar to what my toyota motor did when the tensioner and chain guides had gone. I figured mine couldn't be piston slap since I drove from wellington to Taupo and the noise was there when we pulled into Taupo, but left after we did some sight seeing at the huka falls.

It's makes a slapping, thunking noise in mine, and I youtube'd "subaru timing chain noise" and it sounded quite like that. Maybe try the same and see if the same noise comes up?

I'll also add that I've lifted the bonnet and it seems that it's coming from the passenger side too

I have too listened to some you tube videos, but not convinced its the same. Unfortunately when I tried to listen to it yesterday on way home (at gas station) it didn't seem to make the noise. I am wondering if too paranoid about engine noises now after my last car. Will be taking it up the port hills next week so will have a good listen, If it gets worse when going up hill will defiantly take it back in.

94 Leone said:
sure its not just sticky lifters? kind of like a ticking sound?

when was the last oil change? what oil was used? how cheap is the dealer?

Not sure about the sticky lifters. The only details I could go by for the oil is the sticker on the windscreen. It says change at 162,000 if I remember right. The dealer is Crowe Sport in Christchurch, good history of Subaru sales and repairs (as well as rally/racing) which is why I brought it from them. As I said before will see if it gets worse over the next week and after a drive up the hill and then take it in and get it checked. It could be that its always been there and I just didn't noticed before.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just been to the dealer (car that is). They were checking A CEL and got them to check the noise from the motor, they have said its piston slap and won't need to be worried about for quite a while. The CEL turned out to be a faulty O2 sensor. So taking the car in on Saturday to get changed.