Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru Legacy BE Clutch replacement

l2eeFer13

Hey guys my clutch is on its way out and slipping in most gears, Just wondering what will be a good replacement. The cars pretty stock so dont need anything major. Also while im getting the clutch done is their anything else i should do while the engine is out etc.

Have been told to do the rear main seal.

Also should i be getting a new flywheel or get the existing one machined?

have found this clutch on TM that is pretty resonable http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/other/auction-773193578.htm

The car has 174,000km on the clock and im also thinking about getting the engine rebuilt. Is this going to be a good idea or should that be done when the engine physically goes? What sort of price in involved with an engine rebuild

Cheers All

Grab Hijacka's one, same kit just a lot cheaper:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/clutches/auction-772091047.htm

Definitely get the flywheel machined, don't need a new one. Rear main seal is a very good idea with 170km.

Rebuild-It might go fine for another 50-100thou, depending on how it's been looked after, so wait till it gives up.

Cheers Rossub. Even has free shipping =)

Yeah i thought to just keep going in it until the day it actually blows. I just inquired because on trademe their are a lot of cars around the 180k mark that have had rebuilds. But as you said depends how it was looked after. The car was absolutely stock when i first got it so i guess thats a good sign for now. Their is a slight knocking when the car is cold and you give it small revs. Goes away after a couple of minuites when the car gets warmer

Do you know roughly what it will cost to install the clutch. A bit of googleing shows around 800-1200 clutch supplied.

Could be anywhere from $350 to $550, depending on where you take it and how long they take to do it. Pays to shop around and get written quotes.

A fast cheap job isn't always the best job. Some of the local guys might have a good recommendation.

You're in timaru, there are a few chch guys who I imagine would be happy to do the job at $lessthanagarage

Hijacka can probably smash it out in 3 hours flat haha, there's not really much to get wrong it's just time consuming

Haha yeah im out Geraldine way. I was actually talking to him about it. Will do it with a supplied clutch for about $850. Where as my usual Timaru mechinic quoted $1240 or $600 supplied parts

The clutch they were going to use was R1911N which im assuming is the stock one?

Only neg thing is i cant really get the car to CHCH but i can get it to Timaru easy and then theirs warrenty etc if it does **** out