Turbo holset hx35

TRICKS

ok I have 96 GTB wagon its gone through some changes

brembo brakes

6 speed conversion

whiteline anti-lift kit

whitline rear adj swaybar

k brace

just to name a few, I am going to install sti v7 short block with some v3 sti heads (that's the plan) I have a vf30 turbo and a Holset HX35

holset hx35 (need work) specs

Compressor 0.85a/r

Turbine 0.90 a/r

Twin scroll t3 flange

14cm rear housing

3" exhaust housing v band clamp

gonna see MSE at some stage ....

But posting to get some opinions .. what to use ... good or bad (what the going price on a Holset hx35)

Holset HX35 Turbochargers

Designed primarily for 6 cylinder engines of 5.0 to 6.5 liter capacity, the Holset HX35 turbocharger has high flow aerodynamics capable of providing up to 0.46 kg/s at 3.0:1 pressure ration.

A number of compressor and turbine options are available all featuring excellent map width, pressure ratio and efficiency.

Enhanced durability compressors are available.

Holset HX35 Specs

For Engine Capacity (liters) 5.0-6.5

Output Range 100-280

Airflow (kg/s) 0.46

DIMENSIONS:

Length (mm) 224

Width (mm) 250

Height (mm) 169

Smallest Mass (kg) 9

Largest Mass (kg) 11

OPTIONS:

Wastegate Yes

Watercooled B/H or T/H B/H

Ti Impeller Yes

MFS Impeller Yes

CNG Version Yes

Standard Features

Choice of turbine housing materials to cover wide range of temperatures.

Compressor and turbine wheels selected for optimum airflow, efficiency and pressure ratio.

Fully adjustable compressor and turbine housing orientation.

Fully floating twin hydrodynamic journal bearings.

High efficiency compressors with broad operating ranges.

High pressure ratio capability.

Superback compressor wheel for extended life and durability at high turbo speeds.

Symmetrical twin flow turbine housings.

Variety of compressor and turbine housing flanges available.

Optional Features

CNG Engine Version.

MWE™ (Map Width Enhancement) compressor inlet.

Sound suppression baffles.

Watercooled bearing housings.

I have 4 hx35 turbos operating on different cars. They are really good turbos as long as they are run twin scroll. Wouldn't bother if staying single scroll. They are good well over 30psi.below 15 they don't make much power. And they see the best sounding turbo imho

There is a massive difference in money and power between running the VF30 and the HX35. What do you want out of it? HX35 t/s would be awesome but its going to cost some money getting it setup and then you need injectors as well. May or may not pop your block winding out the HX35 depending how far you go.

gotasuby said:
I have 4 hx35 turbos operating on different cars. They are really good turbos as long as they are run twin scroll. Wouldn't bother if staying single scroll. They are good well over 30psi.below 15 they don't make much power. And they see the best sounding turbo imho

Gee man sounds like you have a Bed made out of holset turbo chargers lol! (greedy bugger)haha

Loner i didn't think they have water cooled bearing housing, i've never seen one, Not saying they don't just wanting to confirm if they do as i always believe they where not?

I plan on running one hx40 but can't comment on performance as i've never run one, but If they are good enough for Jas to start a collection of them then they must be good aye!

Just make sure you use genuine Holset cores gutts and hot side.

Also there are different size compressor wheels and flavours to be had so upgrading them is quite easy task.

Is your hx35 have a internal wastegate housing? hx35w?

hijacka said:

Loner i didn't think they have water cooled bearing housing, i've never seen one, Not saying they don't just wanting to confirm if they do as i always believe they where not?

I just copy/pasted from their website... I know very little about these turbos apart from the fact that they are a LOT bigger than a vf30 and that you can't just bang 'em on a GTB

that has brembos and a k-brace.

loner said:
I just copy/pasted from their website... I know very little about these turbos apart from the fact that they are a LOT bigger than a vf30 and that you can't just bang 'em on a GTB

that has brembos and a k-brace.

ok umm Vf30 vs hx35 is apples and oranges dude,

Do you research cummins diesel forums, dsm forums, use the conversion chart to work out what housing might suit best, and measure your inducer/exducer on the comp side and upgrade it if need be

6 cm2 = 0.41 A/R

7 cm2 = 0.49 A/R

8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R

9 cm2 = 0.65 A/R

10 cm2 = 0.73 A/R

11 cm2 = 0.81 A/R

12 cm2 = 0.89 A/R

14 cm2 = 1.05 A/R

16 cm2 = 1.21 A/R

18 cm2 = 1.37 A/R

21 cm2 = 1.61 A/R

14cm might be abit to large imo specially for a hx35 alot of people are running single entry bep .70 housing with good results but you might find it hard getting one,tims turbos do bolt on single entry housings and swear they don't choke and there seems to be alot of people running bep housings with 35s and 40s but oe holset 12cm2 t.s hx35 non wastegated turbine housing seems to be the most sort after, or machine out a garret housing theres also bae turbo where you can get comp housing and wheel upgrades etc.

Lots of options to be had anyway

• Admin

Good turbos, simple, very strong, spool is comparable (if not better) than an equivalent sized Garrett, will happily run enough boost to utterly ruin any Subaru motor (>40psi)

As above though, you can't just stick one on your Legacy and go. They have big front covers and require a fair few things to be changed in that part of the engine bay. Especially if you go twin scroll.

hijacka said:
Gee man sounds like you have a Bed made out of holset turbo chargers lol! (greedy bugger)haha

I plan on running one hx40 but can't comment on performance as i've never run one, but If they are good enough for Jas to start a collection of them then they must be good aye!

Just make sure you use genuine Holset cores gutts and hot side.

Also there are different size compressor wheels and flavours to be had so upgrading them is quite easy task.

Is your hx35 have a internal wastegate housing? hx35w?

yep hx35w brought off trademe, will send it in to a rebuilder to get it serviced

01KJdG.jpg

Appreciate all the info I will be keeping the twin scroll and twisting to fit the engine bay, did want to run a 38mm turbo smart external gate but it is an HX35w

the vision of seeing it in the legacy engine bay, something similar to this

dDwSDU.jpg

Edited by TRICKS