Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best FMIC for applications over 250 kw?

Johnnynz

• General Member

Just wondering if anyone can point me to a good 250 kw atw+ FMIC.

I remember there being some discussion last year around good and bad quality intercoolers and I think people were buying them either via Shred or STM and seeing a big improvement in results, can someone confirm?

May have been Funkys build come to think of it...

ther really isnt such thing as a bad intercooler, brand name or chinese, intercooler design is one of those parts wher its very hard to improve on from the next one, end tank design being key, chinese intercoolers really only just get a bad rep because ther sold in kits and its the piping that never fits right, other then that i would be suprised if ther is much flow difference to warrant the bigger money they demand.

jdmv4 said:
ther really isnt such thing as a bad intercooler, brand name or chinese, intercooler design is one of those parts wher its very hard to improve on from the next one, end tank design being key, chinese intercoolers really only just get a bad rep because ther sold in kits and its the piping that never fits right, other then that i would be suprised if ther is much flow difference to warrant the bigger money they demand.

No no no. Its more people cbf testing pre/post temps and psi like they should. Ive got a luxurysports cooler which seems efficent at 23psi-. Dont win everytime i know of a jzx which had cooler issues and made a heap more back to back with just a cooler swap.

Its not so much about flow its efficency. The bigger the pressure drop the worse off you are with iat and p/r for return.

Edited by evowrx

• General Member

I know a year or so ago a lot of guys around here were chasing that 300kw mark and kept falling short, a Intercooler change made a difference for at least one of them. Hence why I ask.

I might give an HDI kit a whirl.

• General Member

Maybe it was an exhaust... I will keep digging but HDI is front of the decision line right now.

I dont think I will be making the power those guys were but I want to give everything the best shot at it while I am spending.

HDi is good gear and good value for money, I would +1 to recommending them too

You can get rubbish cores - they might flow heaps, but do a **** job of cooling (or vice versa)

Hell a factory GTR or evo cooler is better than half the aftermarket stuff... That said that rubbish aftermarket stuff is better than half of the factory coolers so they always have some form of "evidence" of being a good product. Easy to show improvement over a side or top mount heat sink

Running an appropiately sized turbo will mean less work for the fmic anyway. I have a bung so you can test egbp if you want dude. When the time comes of course. Sometimes everything just works but when it doesnt it gets expensive swapping bits. Thats also why there is jack**** real world results documented.

• General Member

Yes, Yes and Yes lol.

Might be a bit overkill but time will tell I guess. I see what the SC40 made on CNDYMAN but hes 2.5l from memory and some serious $$$ in the engine I am guessing. I will be stock heads and such just Turbo, fueling, FMIC and ECU effectively.

If your car is low, dont use the HDI kit. The pipe that goes from turbo to i/c runs underneath the car then onto the intercooler. I've had it on the v8 sti, it scrapped everywhere and the only solution i found was to run super stiff coilover setup.

Pic to give you an idea.

rt4aw9.jpg

There's nothing special about pipes so avoid paying big $$ for one, the core is what matters the most.

Interested to see how you get on with SC42 and from what i know CNDYMAN is making 300kw atw :)

• Admin

TMIC is plenty at 250wkw.

Mine is basically pegged at a shade under 270wkw.

Response is good, spool is good, life is good in general.

Jon had a particularly cruddy tube+fin intercooler which gave him a bonus 15wkw or so when replaced with a proper bar+plate model.

Core volume appears to be key to making decent power (flow + cooling)

HKS Type S FMIC has a core a little under 0.01 cu.m and is only rated to 450fwhp, which is pretty close to where I'm at with a TMIC. That said my TMIC is supposedly good for 300wkw, although I understand that would require a relatively generous dyno.

Really something like a Perrin or Process West seems to be the way to go if you're going to bother with FMIC - volume is around 0.015-0.02 cu.m and they are supposedly efficient to ~600fwhp

Edited by boon

• General Member

Good info, thanks gents, I am not to concerned about the piping on the kits as I will probably have a mate fabricate me something custom for the piping.

I will definitely be going bar and plate.

Yeah Kris he is making that but I expect to make less. From what I know his engine was built for the turbo and probably had some decent $$$ spent on it. Mines just a forged CDB with stock v5 heads.

Boon are you running an aftermarket TMIC? I have a v7 STI one atm but I dont think I could fit an aftermarket one in there. The v7 STI is a pretty tight fit as it is.

kris_pran said:
If your car is low, dont use the HDI kit. The pipe that goes from turbo to i/c runs underneath the car then onto the intercooler. I've had it on the v8 sti, it scrapped everywhere and the only solution i found was to run super stiff coilover setup.

Pic to give you an idea.

rt4aw9.jpg

There's nothing special about pipes so avoid paying big $$ for one, the core is what matters the most.

Interested to see how you get on with SC42 and from what i know CNDYMAN is making 300kw atw :)

Yea I was looking at this and thought about the pipe scrapping I helped Pappu mount one of these in his car and found the piping to be to low I was also looking at the GDG kit which runs the piping in the more traditional manor over the engine down between the radiator

http://www.hybrid-power.com/#!gt2-intercooler-kit