Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GFB G-Force 2 Boost Controller Issues...

scooby-wrx

I haven't had mine long, but am noticing a lot of inconsistency lately... It over boosts regularly - only in 4th & 5th when cruising then full throttle. Its fine if boosting from 1st & shifting through the gears (will hold boost in 4th & 5th).

Never done this before, but today I noticed its not holding boost very well... Was tuned to run 21.4 which I ran on my Friday afternoon drive, however I noticed it dropping back a little higher up in the rev range (6k onwards) was dropping down to 18 in some instances!

Is this an issue or common with these controllers? I'm considering replacing it with a HKS controller instead, surely they should be better?

I'm rather disappointed in this controller after spending over $400 on it... Has anyone had similar problems?

13348897754_34551f2673_b.jpg

If you just have the stock turbo, then that's exactly what you are going to get... no boost controller will enable you to do better.

And I assume you have a tune for 21 psi? If not, your in for some expensive repairs at some point.

Is tuned for it.

I didnt have any issues running 20-22psi on VF22 with G4 boost control but no idea if it was just pushing hot air over 18-20psi or not left that to gary capper. Going to a decent turbo at higher boost Im 10deg lower on iat's tho.

Thanks for quick responses. Yes, its tuned to run 21 safely. Had the controller fitted at the same time as I had the tune done. It's noticeably better with the controller, has a nice smooth curve.

Turbo is just a VF22, been looking for a 36 or 37 for ages but no luck...

evowrx, what turbo are you running?

Rossub, just seen your response. Internal gate - Will check if it's running a restrictor pill right now. Cheers

Edited by scooby-wrx

I have no idea how those controllers work but it is common to taper boost after 6k with tiny turbos.

What was it doing originally or has it always been like this?

Kiwifozze lad seems pretty fluent with these controllers.

Didn't think so, but worth trying a pill. Thanks for the restrictor info, really appreciate it.

Evowrx, I'll definitely have a read through your thread thanks. Didn't realise that was your car! Love the pics on the last page! Looks great! I chose not to go the Link route as I spent 15k on the car last year alone on a V7 STI Engine, swap (including loom etc...), gearbox rebuild, tune, etc etc etc... and I couldn't really justify the additional $ so thought I'd get factory V7 STI ECU flashed to see how it went. May look into a G4 at some stage but I'd like to sell the car as I'm thinking about a trip over to Japan and would love to buy a Type R or RA and modify it there to bring back.

Think you guys are probably right about turbo running out of puff - tuner said the turbo needs upgrading if I want more power.

It was great to start off, never over boosting or dropping off. It seemed to start over boosting as winter came along, so may be temperature related? Just noticed the boost dropping off for the first time today as I felt a slight reduction in power.

I'll do a bit more research and may contact Kiwifozze lad, definitely worth a try.

Cheers guys!

Excellent, thanks, need to talk to Dave at D-Tech so will stop in there one of these days. I had it tuned by Lynn at CDM here in Tauranga. Was quite impressed with the tune as it made a noticeable difference, just one issue since the tune... I keep getting CEL 7000 rmp and over, throws up a Cam Position Sensor error. I've tried 3 sensors and same result with each one... It never did this before the tune, so I think its related. Unfortunately when I took it back to CDM they said I should take it elsewhere as they were too busy!

Restricter pill out, sensitivity turned up quite a lot.

From memory, my aggressive setting is running at 78% duty cycle, 75% gain and a sensitivity of about 80. Can double check.

I'm using 4mm hoses with a good amount of length on it, it spools up crazy fast and has a little bit of taper at the top end. I'm running vf30 though, so it may not run out of puff quite so much at the top end.

Thanks slystiguy, I managed to find a video on youtube and will play around with the settings a bit to see if that helps.

kwi_fozze cheers for the info, setup is similar to mine (apart from gain). Also long 4mm hoses, spool-up is definitely better with the controller mines set to:

Duty 75%

Gain 30%

Sensitivity 90%

I'm out for my first drive since adjusting the Gain to 35% and Sensitivity to 85% - wow what a difference this has made. No need for a twin scroll anymore... Haha. It's breaking traction in 1st 2nd & 3rd now with DCCD set to 65% rear. Thanks for advice!

Edited by scooby-wrx

Feeling a lot more positive about the controller after that drive, definitely comes on boost quicker / harder however its now over boosting when cruising, then flooring it in 3rd (as well as 4th and 5th). Again, not an issue when boosting from 1st or 2nd through the rest (just keeps going). Boost is also still dropping off after 6000 rpm, however didn't see it go lower than 19 this time. Will adjust the sensitivity a bit and see how it goes. Traffic started building up so cut the testing a bit short...

Turn sensitivity up a touch. Whats your ebc target and max boost set to? And has your ecu been reflashed to suit the increase in boost? Will post my actual settings once i get home from work, aurai can confirm just how ruthless these can bring boost on... hahahaha

• 1 month later...

Haven't driven the RA for a while so took it out over the weekend and noticed it wasn't boosting right... Looked at the controller and the 21.4 setting is now 0.1 For some reason its lost the last (higher) two settings so I can only run 15.6 max. I've downloaded a manual to read up on how to adjust the boost, but have no idea.

Does anyone know how to adjust the boost?

Boost goes up by turning duty cycle percentage up. Turn it up, do a run, and keep bumping it up little by little until you hit your desired target.

Gain changes how fast boost comes on.

Sensitivity changes how accurate it holds the boost level, preventing it from falling over at high rpms to its best ability.

kwi_fozze said:
Boost goes up by turning duty cycle percentage up. Turn it up, do a run, and keep bumping it up little by little until you hit your desired target.

Gain changes how fast boost comes on.

Sensitivity changes how accurate it holds the boost level, preventing it from falling over at high rpms to its best ability.

Thanks, really appreciate it I'll give it a try this weekend.

Haha... Cheers kwi_fozze I'm just going to put the settings back to what they were (after tune setup - listed on page 2).

Duty 75%

Gain 30%

Sensitivity 90%

Hopefully this restores the 21.04 psi setting...

So over these GFB controllers...!

Edited by scooby-wrx