Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

radiator setup

subytrackhack

• Admin

There's one or two very serious track-spec cars running this setup out there on the interweb but I don't think anyone here has done it.

Probably the best place to ask would be a 4x4 forum (Offroad Express is full of good buggers) as rear-mount radiators are reasonably common on serious offroaders.

Depending on the efficiency of the core you are intending to use, it can difficult to get sufficient cooling with a boot mount without getting some form of decent airflow through the boot of the car via ducting. A couple of fans won't cut it for heavy duty/track work. If you are struggling with your ECT with your current set up, due to an FMIC restricting airflow through your radiator for example, I would recommend a V-mount set up on the front. Here's mine. ECT sits at 87 degrees with sustained hard driving and ACT sits around 5 degrees above ambient at around 27 psi boost.

20140719_085957_zpsa7e4d7ad.jpg

i have the setup all figured out i will be using 2 12inch ducting tubes from each window . no boot floor and 2 15inch fans on a.big custom 2~3 core radiator i just want to know basiclly the plumbing side of it. because i have heard alit people talk about bubble tanks and header tanks all over the show etc

subytrackhack said:
i have the setup all figured out i will be using 2 12inch ducting tubes from each window . no boot floor and 2 15inch fans on a.big custom 2~3 core radiator i just want to know basiclly the plumbing side of it. because i have heard alit people talk about bubble tanks and header tanks all over the show etc

Good work. You will need some form of scoops to ram the air down the ducts too. Re plumbing you should be ok with one header tank in the engine bay and one in the boot. Just make sure that the header tank in the boot is above the highest point of the rad and all your pipe work of course. You could use an oem one in the boot and have a bubble pipe return from the rad to the header tank.

raijin said:
Depending on the efficiency of the core you are intending to use, it can difficult to get sufficient cooling with a boot mount without getting some form of decent airflow through the boot of the car via ducting. A couple of fans won't cut it for heavy duty/track work. If you are struggling with your ECT with your current set up, due to an FMIC restricting airflow through your radiator for example, I would recommend a V-mount set up on the front. Here's mine. ECT sits at 87 degrees with sustained hard driving and ACT sits around 5 degrees above ambient at around 27 psi boost.

20140719_085957_zpsa7e4d7ad.jpg

Its good to see your still retaining the factory radiator bracket;)

subytrackhack said:
why would i need a extra bubble pipe off the radiator tank to the header tank in boot aalso would that mean running 1 overflow bottle or two

You'll need some way of getting air out of the top of the radiator in the boot hence the bubble pipe. You should be fine with one overflow bottle but you may find you need a decent size bottle given the larger capacity of the system.

boon said:
Sorry to thread-jack but raijin that looks friggin awesome.

Is that a custom radiator or did you re-purpose something else?

I plan to copy that pretty much exactly for the race car.

Thanks I have located a supplier in China who can fabricate the V mount IC and rad combo similar to the process west set up for Subarus but at a fraction of the price. The quality of the workmanship is superb. It even has a built in oil cooler integrated into the bottom of the radiator (the unions are on the driver side of the rad) :)