Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Zerosports Sequential Boost Controller Issue

steve118

hi everyone

car is a 1997 legacy wagon bg5 (2nd gen)

i am installing a zerosports sequential boost controller but have come across the isse that it is throwing a check engine light every now and then

i dont have the car with me as it is at the mechanics, so i dont know the CEL code right now.

but has anyone else come across this issue before?

or even better, has anyone installed one on a bg5 with the 4G Ecu?

thanks guys

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get one every now and again, usually when it's super cold. It used to come on quite a bit but then I took out my turbo timer (cheap apexi copy) and the code doesn't come up as much. The code I get is code 65 Differential pressure sensor which will always show up when you read the codes.

les666 said:
I get one every now and again, usually when it's super cold. It used to come on quite a bit but then I took out my turbo timer (cheap apexi copy) and the code doesn't come up as much. The code I get is code 65 Differential pressure sensor which will always show up when you read the codes.

it didnt put your car in limp mode? i have an avs s5 alarm with built in turbo timer so shouldnt be an issue?

did you figure a work around or is it still like it today?

It goes into limp mode but turn car off and then back on again and cel goes away. Only happens every now again since getting rid of turbo timer. Mainly when there's a frost. I have the checklist somewhere for diagnosing/fixing codes somewhere... Apparently if I recall properly sometimes for codes like diff pressure sensor and positive and negative exhaust control solenoid it can be traced back to the ignition signal which is why I got rid of the turbo timer.

les666 said:
It goes into limp mode but turn car off and then back on again and cel goes away. Only happens every now again since getting rid of turbo timer. Mainly when there's a frost. I have the checklist somewhere for diagnosing/fixing codes somewhere... Apparently if I recall properly sometimes for codes like diff pressure sensor and positive and negative exhaust control solenoid it can be traced back to the ignition signal which is why I got rid of the turbo timer.

fair enough. if you dont mind me asking, what ecu have you got in yours? do you only get the diff pressure sensor error now?

Yeah I only ever get diff pressure sensor. With a ZS controller you will always have code 65 logged but it usually doesn't cause the light to come on or chuck it into limp mode except on rare occasions. Apparently according to the guys on uklegacy it's quite common for it to happen occasionally. The ecu in my car is an 8C prova job.

les666 said:
Yeah I only ever get diff pressure sensor. With a ZS controller you will always have code 65 logged but it usually doesn't cause the light to come on or chuck it into limp mode except on rare occasions. Apparently according to the guys on uklegacy it's quite common for it to happen occasionally. The ecu in my car is an 8C prova job.

is that a 3 plug? my 4g is a 3 plug. another question: does it ever go into limp mode while boosting or only when u first start the car?

les666 said:
Yeah mine is bg5a so yeah 4 plug. Nah never goes into limp mode whilst driving only at start up. You get cel whilst driving?

bit confused there mate? haha Mine is 3 plug Yours is 4 plug!?

mechanic told me about the CEL. ill call up tomorrow and see what info i can get from him

les666 said:
Yeah a bit confused? Yours being a 97 will be bg5b which has 3 plug ecu. The autos got a big single plug ecu. Let us know how you get on with the mechanic and what codes are coming up!

So as expected the codes are 65/62

Can't seem to clear the codes as they just keep on coming back and solenoids have been replaced but still getting the CEL.

Does anyone in Auckland have a spare controller I could try to see if that is the fault?

I used to get cel 62 as well it kept opening the ecv at idle and triggered the code. I always thought it was a dodgy controller and got another one. But yeah as Rosssub says recheck your wiring. I might switch to my old controller and see if it still throws a 62...

EDIT... I just checked my old controller and it is still bung. Opens the ecv. Have you got the dip switches set properly?

Edited by les666

les666 said:
I used to get cel 62 as well it kept opening the ecv at idle and triggered the code. I always thought it was a dodgy controller and got another one. But yeah as Rosssub says recheck your wiring. I might switch to my old controller and see if it still throws a 62...

EDIT... I just checked my old controller and it is still bung. Opens the ecv. Have you got the dip switches set properly?

im pretty sure they are set properly. rev b-c were both the same and im 99% sure my car is not a rev a.

where are you located bro?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Were you in tga or auckland? Talked to you earlier about my one.

And out of interest did you use this wiring manual for setting it up?

http://download.robson-brown.co.uk/uklegacy/zerosport/index.html

Don't know if its just a 2nd gen thing but the 3rd gens definately do not have that Throwing a code issue. Used to log mine quite a bit and never had any stored codes.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
Were you in tga or auckland? Talked to you earlier about my one.

And out of interest did you use this wiring manual for setting it up?

http://download.robson-brown.co.uk/uklegacy/zerosport/index.html

Don't know if its just a 2nd gen thing but the 3rd gens definately do not have that Throwing a code issue. Used to log mine quite a bit and never had any stored codes.

as far as im aware its all wired in correctly. dip switches all in correct settings. i did use that same wiring diagram you linked as well.

car stops boosting at 10psi and. havent gotten to 4500rpm because i reach 10psi quicker.

• Admin

So what exactly happens at 10psi? Goes into limp? You stop at that point?

How high in the revs have you got?

Did the single/twin switchover work fine before controller was put in/ with controller turned off?

Has it got a full/ catback aftermarket exhaust. Don't know what the 2nd gens are supposed to go to on primary but my 3rd gen with the catback does raise the boost a couple of psi over stock

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
So what exactly happens at 10psi? Goes into limp? You stop at that point?

How high in the revs have you got?

Did the single/twin switchover work fine before controller was put in/ with controller turned off?

Has it got a full/ catback aftermarket exhaust. Don't know what the 2nd gens are supposed to go to on primary but my 3rd gen with the catback does raise the boost a couple of psi over stock

at 10 psi it goes into limp mode. ive only been to 4k rpm, but i believe it will also cut at 4500?

switchover worked fine before it was put in. not sure about now as it is in limp mode, even with controller turned off.

it has decatted stock exhaust system with a bullet pipe in its place.

• Admin

Would be pretty unlucky if that was the case. Don't know how you wired it up and if its easy or not but its probably worth unwiring it and seeing if its still goes fine with it removed.

Does it through a code/engine light when it goes into limp other than 65?