Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lots of Legacy BP5's on the road, many on here?

killervq30de

Just got my first Subaru, a 2007 Legacy GT spec B wagon.

Seems like nearly everyday I discover something new on it

1. didn't know there was a keyless entry door unlock button on the boot/rear gate

2. noticed today that the cup holder has round rubber inserts at the bottom you can take in out to help with cleaning

3. found the electric rear seat release buttons in the boot for the back seats (instead of manually reaching forward and pulling the catch)

4. found the rear carpeted tray in the back has a handy hook underneath if you want to prop the thing open to get things out

5. found out how to enable your horn to act as an alarm, apparently its quite commonly off by default, so now chirps on lock and horn on alarm

6. found the SRS wow setting on the stereo, hadn't looked at the stereo too much beyond turning bass up but still sound was hollow, went through options and found the SRS

7. not tested yet but it might be possible to set a code with the drivers front door, you lift handle a set number of times to form a combination and the door unlocks

8. read somewhere (not sure if on here) but you can add cruise control on these just need buttons and a relay I think it was

Haven't figured out anything special with the remote yet, does anyone else have one like this? Is there a panic mode, wind down windows?

temp.jpg

Anyone have instructions to remove the door trims? Passenger side inside door handle/pull is loose want to remove and tighen, can see any exposed screws, just clips?

Edited by killervq30de

ADIKT said:
Tried holding down the unlock button? most cars it will put the front window down (or even all of them)

How did you get the horn to go with the alarm?

Held down buttons.. nothing extra happened.

Horn. Went to Winger and they hooked it up their scan tool. Your turn Siren off. Alarm setup On. locked door, window down and openned and the horn goess off.

My BP5 came with the horny alarm on(lol) even has a slightly to quiet high pitch beep with lock and unlock. I know that there is a way to turn off the gauge sweep when you turn the ignition on but why you'd want to turn it off I don't know.

Which stereo has the SRS settings on it?

Just got my first Subaru, a 2007 Legacy GT spec B wagon.

5. found out how to enable your horn to act as an alarm, apparently its quite commonly off by default, so now chirps on lock and horn on alarm

KEEN ON DOING THIS

7. not tested yet but it might be possible to set a code with the drivers front door, you lift handle a set number of times to form a combination and the door unlocks

DONE THIS IN WEEKEND. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED INSTRUCTIONS

8. read somewhere (not sure if on here) but you can add cruise control on these just need buttons and a relay I think it was

I DID THIS JUST CANT GET ANY CRUISE LIGHTS ON CLUSTER WHICH IS ANNOYING. CRUISE CONTROL WORKS PROPERLY OTHERWISE

apparently needs to be hooked up to subaru monitor to enable the drivers window to work off of remote

cheers

@Gotasuby - So which part do you remove to get to the first screw? The door pulling handle is the bit that is slightly loose buttom part isn't fully seated which makes it rattle a bit

20140708_202445_resized.jpg

@Aurai - Yes push start. Apparently if the remote battery goes flat you hold the remote up to the PushStart and it gives it just enough choose to disable imobilizer. Yours SI drive and push button too? I've seen pics of alarm fobs and this seems to be odd one out (I have a spare too so its not a replacement) this has the physical key inside the remote too

20140708_192833_resized.jpg

First world problems I can’t see the interminent wiper setting as my paddle shifter is in the way ;)

@tebbyj - just the non-McIntosh standard subaru one (gx-204je). Mine does the quiet chirp too. if you push the lock button on passenger door you can't even hear it but can from the boot or drivers door, by design maybe. Yeah love the gauge sweep and the blue ligh up drink holder

20140708_192608_resized.jpg

@jonossiksilvia - Must have been you write up I was reading. Yeah jealous that mine didn't come with cruise control, don't think I use it much but still want it. And VDC that would have been cool too. When they turned my Horn on for alarm I saw the computer they use and there are quite few options they can turn on and off

Edited by killervq30de

Anyone with a facelift and clock instead of an LCD monitor? Mine only shows time (all the other tripcomp info/SI/etc is shown on the dash screen), is this normal? After applying some google fu and seeing other facelift pics I'm pretty certain that it is indeed normal.

Programmed my door handle, took a while as I was trying to program 4 digits (like it was in my BH5) and it needed 5, all sorted now - love this feature.

Did found the rubber mats in the cupholders, rather handy.

SRS feature does change the sound dramatically, though the stock speakers are crap, want to replace those.

Ordered parts for the cruise install, want to pull the dash out to see if there's some bulbs missing (noticed that in my BH while swapping stock for STI - a few empty slots, VDC or something like that), might be the case.

There was a discussion about the SI-drive function being utterly useless - I actually really like it (3.0R spec B), some reviews do say though that's it's pretty lame in GTs.

Overall I am very happy with the 3.0 - not as much fun as turbs, but still enough power to have a bit of fun. IMHO

I have had my auto BP5 for about 4.5 years now, it has served pretty well but to be honest I can't wait to replace it. It's a really simple car IMO, but then that makes it fairly reliable. The engines are pretty solid and VVT makes them a lot better than the prior engines.

Just can't quite justify it yet - maybe next year. Thinking a 335i, perhaps an M5 or E63 heh. The new Legacy is just epically boring inside and out.

Still have a BE5 as a hack toy which I think I will hold on to because its silly.

Edited by GorGasmSpecB

• Admin

Picked one up myself 2 weeks ago. Waaaay better than the 3rd gen's in almost every way.

Is yours the 2.0L or 2.5L?

And yea subanoodle thats the same setup i've got in mine. Most seem to have the trip and other details built into the clock screen but maybe the jap ones don't?..

At first like everyone else i thought SI drive was a joke but once you've had a play around it really does make a difference. Probably even more so on an auto box

sobanoodle said:
Anyone with a

There was a discussion about the SI-drive function being utterly useless - I actually really like it (3.0R spec B), some reviews do say though that's it's pretty lame in GTs.

Overall I am very happy with the 3.0 - not as much fun as turbs, but still enough power to have a bit of fun. IMHO

SI drive:

I mode: its ok for warming up the car and highway/long distance driving, but round the suburbs its to slugish

S drive: I keep it in this most the time and thats pretty punchy

S#: It does have better throttle response but I wonder if 'S mode' is actually better once your fully rolling (based on my test hill)

Pretty happy with the Auto too after having a manual car for so long, i like how it holds the gears for longer rather than a normal slushbox which will try and change up on you the second you let off the gas.

Blipping the gears with the paddles is still cool to.

Anyone elses brakes soft? They do work but you just have to push them mnore than a tap for it to start really stopping. Push properly on the pedal and it stops no problem but slight tap and you are still rolling, I down shift for the lights with the paddles (at right revs and all to help out). Is this part of the ESB or what ever it is that is meant to distrubte braking better

• Admin

If you can trust the little screen on the dash I basically limits throttle to about 2/3rds even when floored, so will always be a dog in that setting. S and S# are fairly similar just S# fully opens the throttle before being floored.

Some people out there on the net reckon boost is limited in I and S. But so far S and S# have reached the same peaks on the boost gauge. Have yet to try it in I. You'd guess S# would be a bit more jerky as even slight pedal movement does more.

killervq30de said:

Anyone elses brakes soft? They do work but you just have to push them mnore than a tap for it to start really stopping. Push properly on the pedal and it stops no problem but slight tap and you are still rolling, I down shift for the lights with the paddles (at right revs and all to help out). Is this part of the ESB or what ever it is that is meant to distrubte braking better

07 nz new GT - yes brakes are a little wooden/mushy at light-medium pressure but pull up pretty good if really called upon. Mine probably due for new fluid though.

SI drive - sorry, don't like it. Doesn't make any sense on a GT with obvious sporting intent - if you want to save petrol why buy a GT in the first place? If you have a lead foot or can't modulate your throttle then it will tone down your poor throttle control but otherwise you can achieve the same petrol efficiency just by adjusting your driving style. I've found it actually dangerous in "I" when you suddenly need to call on a bit of power.

si drive in i mode limits throttle opening for economy

s mode allows full throttle, but it ramps up. if you mash the peddle, it will open throttle plate all the way but a little slow (again, economiser)

s# is about as instant as response as you will get in a stock dbw system. allows full throttle, and opens throttle plate faster than s mode

I have an 07 Spec B, and found SI-Drive pretty pointless. 'I' was unpleasantly sluggish, and acceleration in 'Sport Sharp' was so manic I often felt like I was going to drive up the back of the car in front when moving slowly through heavy traffic. Sport was linear, and that's really all you need to properly control your car.

Last year I had my ECU tuned by Spec Performance in Christchurch, and each of the three modes now has distinct performance differences, including boost pressure. This is how it should have always been, in my opinion, but I can imagine Subaru didn't want to accept the legal implications and liability of allowing on-the-fly power changes.

*Oh, and here's another little Legacy tip: if you want to know how much fuel you have in the tank without putting a key in the ignition, just press the trip meter knob. The fuel gauge will light up and move to the fuel level, and the trip computer screen will light up and show how far you travelled since it was last reset.

killervq30de said:
Yes push start. Apparently if the remote battery goes flat you hold the remote up to the PushStart and it gives it just enough choose to disable imobilizer. Yours SI drive and push button too? I've seen pics of alarm fobs and this seems to be odd one out (I have a spare too so its not a replacement) this has the physical key inside the remote too

My BP5 is a JDM 06 Revision D, 6spd Manual (GTB) with SI drive, no push button, normal chipped key. yours is the first push button legacy Ive seen, didn't know they came out like that, lucky bugger :P

Your fob is the same one that comes with the GRB (08+) JDM STI.

I love Si drive, I used to flip from I to S# all the time, never bothered with S not as fun as s#. Now it sits in S until its warmed up and then lives in s#. I do still use it, and the child inside me enjoys flipping into sport sharp, its like pressing the big red button :P If you ever think your car is getting slow, live with it in I for a week or two, then when you chuck it back into s# for the first time you get all the magic back!

If you are in, or near Auckland you should come along to one of the meets (either Sunday or monthly)

KiwiJoe said:
I have an 07 Spec B, and found SI-Drive pretty pointless. 'I' was unpleasantly sluggish, and acceleration in 'Sport Sharp' was so manic I often felt like I was going to drive up the back of the car in front when moving slowly through heavy traffic. Sport was linear, and that's really all you need to properly control your car.

Last year I had my ECU tuned by Spec Performance in Christchurch, and each of the three modes now has distinct performance differences, including boost pressure. This is how it should have always been, in my opinion, but I can imagine Subaru didn't want to accept the legal implications and liability of allowing on-the-fly power changes.

*Oh, and here's another little Legacy tip: if you want to know how much fuel you have in the tank without putting a key in the ignition, just press the trip meter knob. The fuel gauge will light up and move to the fuel level, and the trip computer screen will light up and show how far you travelled since it was last reset.

S# is not for in traffic driving though its for spirited driving

Do you have any supporting mods (boost controller,etc) or standard can you do with just standard ECU?

Aurai said:
My BP5 is a JDM 06 Revision D, 6spd Manual (GTB) with SI drive, no push button, normal chipped key. yours is the first push button legacy Ive seen, didn't know they came out like that, lucky bugger :P

If you are in, or near Auckland you should come along to one of the meets (either Sunday or monthly)

pfft I'll have the manual you can have the push button start :) And a nice blue too, you got lucky on that find. I dunno happy with auto still as I say above its still a sporty auto and the paddles make it fun to pretend its manual :)

I think s# is 'different' for autos because if you live in s# if you tap the gas too far it wants to shift down and take off, with manual and s# you'd be controlling what gear its in and so accelerate rather than launch

yep I'm in Auckland too saw there was meant to be a meet just the other day, will see how it goes the next time ones on