Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Under steer question GF8

DrunkenMistake

Hey Guys,

Im sure I have answered my own question here before asking it, but I think my issue is cheap tyres however..

When entering a corner or say round about even at low speeds in the wet/damp the front of the car wants to continue in a straight line even at full lock left or right,

does anyone else have this issue and if so are there any simple fixes? im not hussing it around the corner when it happens the round about mentioned is one near my house and normally ill enter it at 20-30km on the way to work.

Like I said I think my culprit might be cheap tyres as I have some Chinese branded rubber on the car, but was wondering if other factors might be at play?, the car has a bonnet strut, and the front part of the car has bracing and support struts in the undercarriage,

Could the tight front and loose ass be a factor as well? if so would adjusting the rear swing arm help me at all? I noticed it has three holes for adjustment.

Cheers in advance

It doesn't have 20mm ground clearance and mega stiff struts as well does it?

Understeering like mad during normal driving is on the extreme end of wtf is causing this

Even the most budget 185/14's shouldn't cause you to need full lock to get around a roundabout

• Admin

Some of those Chinese tyres are spectacularly bad in the wet. The hard rubber is like driving on plastic wheels.

More stiffness in the rear swaybar will shift the balance more towards oversteer - I find that on a fast street car a big rear bar and a standard front one is nicely balanced.

But yes, tyres.

• General Member

is the car an AWD Subaru? (not actually stated)

rwd setups/locked center diff will also induce understeer/oversteer added #ditchfinding ability over and above Triangles/linglongs

I used some cheap Chinese tyres once. Went around around a corner in the wet and and did the exact same thing you describe. If the rubber is brandnew there can be a small wear in period but in the end I had them off the car within the week.

Do yourself and your passengers a favour and buy good quality tyres because you absolutely won't regret it (even a good second hand set would be better than a new set of those cheap ones)

I had kinforest tyres on foz when I bought it which understeer bad enough in stock form with the piss little rear bar and being lowered didnt help and that thing would try drive straight most corners especially bad in the wet. GF8 is much better but rear bar made it handle a ****load nicer.

Im not going to sit here and say im the worlds greatest driver because im not, however im pretty confident its not my driving that is causing the under-steer.

As for saying full lock I am meaning taking a round about at a gentle speed and the car then going into understeer and getting loose as a goose in the front and going to full lock im not turning into the round about at last minute at full lock, and I also dont think more lock is required to over come under steer.

As for the car itself it is AWD, it has 18" rims, I cant recall the size of the tyres but they are 7.5"-8" wide rims, it was on standard springs and struts when I bought it and I have since put king low springs in it, and in actual fact it has helped somewhat

Thank you all for your replies, looks to me like my number one problem is more than likely going to be the tyres so I will start with getting some better branded rubber and going from there.

Also sorry Mods, I think I may have posted this in the wrong topic

Agreed, after installing my 27mm Adjustable Whiteline bar, killed most the understeer. Also highly recommend using some performance spec street tyres, Bridgestone RE002 are ok for the budget, at 170 fitted for a 215/45/17, decent price. Tony's Tyres Tauranga.

I think most things have already been covered here by previous posters, but yes do get some decent tyres,

Check those rear swar bar links as I have heard they break and that would probably cause massive understeer. Whitline do aftermarket alloy links as do a few other performance parts dealers. In my experience with GC/GF imprexas they seem to do understeer really well from the factory,

I usually put a whiteline adjustable rear sway bar on the back and do it up to its stiffest setting which really makes it more neutral rather than oversteer. Most cars come from the factory with understeer built in because most I got my license from a weetbix box drivers dont know what to do in oversteer condiions.

Also get your wheel alignment checked as this can induce understeer if wrong

Keep in mind a larger rear bar is most likely simply reducing your rear grip giving you an altered sense of balance in the car - tending toward a more neutral feel. If, as everyone suggests, it is simply your tyres inexplicably letting go at 20km/hr I would be careful about further reducing grip. Also, I happen to think understeer is just as dangerous as oversteer and the only reason car makers favour it is because peoples natural instinct in trouble seems to be getting off the pedals.

pedro said:
Also safer to have cars understeering into the shrubbery rather than spinning down the center of the road...

What about understeering into a power pole or off a giant cliff? I think I'd rather oversteer

down the middle of the road and hope the other drivers avoid me... BUT you're not going to

understeer or oversteer in different directions... if the car is going off on a corner, it's

going off on the corner... the choice is either front first (understeer) or sideways/backwards/spinning

(oversteer).

Edited by loner