Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Aftermarket sub + Stock Mcintosh system

Sub Zero

Hey guys just curious if this is even possible.

I have a completely stock McIntosh system in my 07 Legacy spec b, i was wondering if i could add in a 15" Sub in the boot but keep the rest stock as i quite like the McIntosh look and i want to try keep everything inside looking stock.

The sub in question is a 15" Fusion Powerplant with a 900w Fusion Amp

Cheers for any advice

Dean

• Admin

Hrm not super familiar with the newer ones but if it runs the factory Mac amp and sub you have to find out where you can tap into for RCAs and then run it off that.

Aside from that, should all work fine.

boon said:

Hrm not super familiar with the newer ones but if it runs the factory Mac amp and sub you have to find out where you can tap into for RCAs and then run it off that.

Aside from that, should all work fine.

Doing that do you just run a low pass filter?

boon']

p.s. 15\'s suck balls for a daily driver car, I\'d rather run a good 10 or 12 and save myself some boot space.

yeh i know they suck for a daily but i had it set up quite nicely in my old car, where i could take it out whenever i needed.

[quote name='syphe said:

it\'s got a bastard 20 or so pin din cable. I\'ve spliced into mine and wired in rca plugs which was a total PITA.

How long did it take you to splice it and would you me doing it myself or should i get it professionally done?

• Admin
 evowrx said:

Doing that do you just run a low pass filter?

Just use the lowpass filter on the amplifier.

IF you can find instructions on the net, and you can solder reasonably tidily, it shouldn\'t be hard at all.

When I\'ve done these kinds of conversions before I usually drilled a hole in the casing of the factory amp/brain/thing and soldered direct to the PCB, it\'s a lot tidier than tapping into wires but you either need an oscilloscope or a circuit diagram...

Marky said:

Easy job - RCA converter off the rear speaker out (or factory sub out), low pass filter on amp, job done very painless especially if it has a factory sub out already

So if i did this wouldn\'t it mean that the factory sub wouldn\'t be used anymore??

• Admin

Suppose you could just split each line. Would probably drop quality as the headunit will still be pushing the same amount thinking its only feeding one amp but getting halved along the way so surely that\'ll compromise something.

What about going to the new amp then using the pass through to go back to the macintosh one and then that\'d send the correct voltage/current.

But really if you\'re putting in a \'real\' sub is keeping the old one any benefit..

The Rookie']

p.s. 15\'s suck balls for a daily driver car, I\'d rather run a good 10 or 12 and save myself some boot space.

yeh i know they suck for a daily but i had it set up quite nicely in my old car, where i could take it out whenever i needed.

[quote name='syphe said:

it\'s got a bastard 20 or so pin din cable. I\'ve spliced into mine and wired in rca plugs which was a total PITA.

/quote]

How long did it take you to splice it and would you me doing it myself or should i get it professionally done?

didn\'t take too long to sort it out, it was more just the fact the din cable has very very thin wires, so was quite fiddly and really delicate.

Trends Car Audio & Alarms - Mattapo said:

I am about to start replacing my audio in my 05 but retaining the factory head unit, I\'ll put up info on that, you can adapt it to suit your needs

Sweet cheers man will wait and see how you went then might tackle this when I\'m not working :)

• 2 weeks later...