Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ask your tuning questions here!

gotasuby

• Admin

Is it worth taking in a stock 2.0L gtb 4th gen for a tune? Any real gains to be had?

Tuning sites always give vague percentages but anyone have any specific info on what can be gained from these engines?

Moneys pretty tight right now as i've just bought the thing. So a full exhaust is a long way down the track. And downpipes are seemingly not that common for the vf38/vf45's also.

probably not worth it taking it somewhere to get a drive through tune, but if you're happy tinkering with the cables and doing the logging yourself there are a number of vendors who can get good gains without a downpipe.

• Admin

Yea was thinking getting an e-tune was probably the best way. Getting a tactrix cable or something similar.

Just don't really like the idea of having to do 3rd gear pulls on public roads...

Got any names for reputable ones? Hear good things about cryotune, not sure if they deal with 2.0L engines much as all the US stuff is 2.5L

cryo did mine, was the first 2.0L he dealt with, since then I think he's done one or two.

He's very helpful and great to deal with, and I couldn't be happier with my tune.

on the 5MT 3rd gear is getting up close to 150km/h, so yeah instant loss of licence territory. I did my logging at Ruapuna here during their test days, $20 for half hour sessions was reasonable enough for me and meant I could do it completely legal, worth a look to see if there are any racetracks up near you which do something similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a FYI for anyone with possumlink/G1 link gear, the software does run and I can login to the ecu on a windows 8, 64bit PC :)

hasnt really resolved the issue as everything looks ok, but now i can log(by having the PC on and connected during runs) to see if any problems occur.

• 3 months later...
 evowrx said:
Ever played with flexfuel sensors? Curious if it would enable me to run 10% meth in tank. I dont know anything about fuel above 95 lol.

Yes the rally car runs a flex fuel sensor and I'm about to install one in mine. Very very good to have if you are not quite sure on mix in tank.

evowrx said:
Wife says thats what i should do over water/meth or accurately measuring with a jug. Inclined to agree with her and cheaper than injection too. Thanks jase.

I'm going down this route. MCM run one in Gramps if you have been following their series. Some good info on it and dyno comparisons

ADIKT said:
I'm going down this route. MCM run one in Gramps if you have been following their series. Some good info on it and dyno comparisons

I definitely dont but i know the car youre talking about. Rac is always telling me to go ej257 and run 10% meth intank and ive done the 257 part. Thankfully hes not forcing a holset upon me as well would be nice but not feasible.

• General Member

So breaking this down into little not super smart pieces for me, if I ran a fuel sensor my tuner can tune it to run anything from E85 to good old fashioned 98 and the car will just adjust the tune on the fly to account for the mix of fuel the engine is receiving? Even if I have say half a tank of E85 and top it off with 98?

And its as simple as put sensor in fuel line, hook up electrical side and send off to tuner? Or should I talk to my tuner to see if there experienced with it?

Johnnynz said:
So breaking this down into little not super smart pieces for me, if I ran a fuel sensor my tuner can tune it to run anything from E85 to good old fashioned 98 and the car will just adjust the tune on the fly to account for the mix of fuel the engine is receiving? Even if I have say half a tank of E85 and top it off with 98?

And its as simple as put sensor in fuel line, hook up electrical side and send off to tuner? Or should I talk to my tuner to see if there experienced with it?

Your bang on the money john

• Admin

That's pretty much it, as I understand it on the Link you use an overlay table to adjust fueling based on % ethanol coming from the flex-fuel sensor (the GM one is meant to be the one that works well)

I imagine it takes a while to tune for though.

• General Member

Ok cool. Sounds like a lot of positive for no real negatives beside needing more fuel flow. Having an E85 pump 3 blocks away has me thinking this is a good idea while still allowing me to use the car for decent roadtrips on 98.

Johnnynz said:
Ok cool. Sounds like a lot of positive for no real negatives beside needing more fuel flow. Having an E85 pump 3 blocks away has me thinking this is a good idea while still allowing me to use the car for decent roadtrips on 98.

Can you tell me current price of e85 by any chance?

• General Member
 gotasuby said:
Can you tell me current price of e85 by any chance?

Um quite strange, its one of those old style two sided pumps, both are lbaeled as Gull Force Pro E85. One side says $2.879 per litre other side says $2.189...

Thats at Gull self serve on Ohaupo road Hamilton.