Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ask your tuning questions here!

gotasuby

KingCole said:
270kw on pump is quite normal for 1.5XTRs at ~23psi. I would love to see the dyno plot and boost plot once it is tuned. Best street setup in my opinion for ej207s and stock location turbo.

Will post up the dyno. I'm interested to see how the 10cm housing (as fixed for the twin scroll) works for lag and peak power. Poor stock clutch isn't going to last much :(. Any recommendations for a stout DD/drag clutch?

Nikk10 said:
Will post up the dyno. I'm interested to see how the 10cm housing (as fixed for the twin scroll) works for lag and peak power. Poor stock clutch isn't going to last much :(. Any recommendations for a stout DD/drag clutch?

Wife shouted me a 6 puk drews automotive clutch hopefully have some feedback on that soon. Sti clutches are pretty good it more the launching with bigger power that fries them.

Nikk10 said:

I think the 10cm housing will only hit full boost ~300rpm or so later than the 8cm housing as per the testing done by TopSpeed on Nasioc. I know most of these tests were done on 2.5L engines but twinscroll setup will help.

There are a lot of options for clutches these days but you can't go wrong with Exedy or ACT Stage 2 or higher heavy duty and/or street friendly clutches.

evowrx said:
What is the 1.5 just a gtx3071? And whats 10cm in a/r?

2.5XTR is equivalent to GTX3071. The 1.5XTR is just slightly smaller.

http://gcg.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125:housingconversion&catid=41:turbo-stuff&Itemid=99

10 cm2 is ~0.73 A/R

Blouch turbos are the same as ScoobyClinic turbos except the scoobyclinic range have slightly smaller housings.

I was actually reading up old threads on Blouch 1.5 turbo and Blouch actually used to let people send in their stock turbos and they used to convert them to 1.5 Polka Pickle (non billet as far as I can remember) but the exhaust housing was a restriction on stock turbos so they stopped doing that. However, the benefit was that that it was much cheaper to send the stock turbo for an upgrade and many people thought it was worth it because the midrange was punchy.

Edited by KingCole

• Admin

Not overly clued up on this matter but is it really possible to compare them in this direct manner. Don't quite understand how it would be possible. Surely it will accurately relate to turbo's within a manufacturers range but not apply to comparing very different turbo's

Aren't they giving rather different results? A/R is a ratio of A and R where cm^2 is a volume. Polka pickle ones are a good example where the inlet/ outlet is huge but housing is still quite small. So unless either A or R remains a constant between different turbo's, which it doesn't then how does this comparrison work out for varying turbo designs

So is A/R infact a ratio that can have varying sizes where cm^2 is a particular size, aka specific volume housing? Or am I just going off on a tangent that makes zero sense to anyone else :/

KingCole said:
2.5XTR is equivalent to GTX3071. The 1.5XTR is just slightly smaller.

http://gcg.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125:housingconversion&catid=41:turbo-stuff&Itemid=99

10 cm2 is ~0.73 A/R

Blouch turbos are the same as ScoobyClinic turbos except the scoobyclinic range have slightly smaller housings.

I was actually reading up old threads on Blouch 1.5 turbo and Blouch actually used to let people send in their stock turbos and they used to convert them to 1.5 Polka Pickle (non billet as far as I can remember) but the exhaust housing was a restriction on stock turbos so they stopped doing that. However, the benefit was that that it was much cheaper to send the stock turbo for an upgrade and many people thought it was worth it because the midrange was punchy.

Smaller? You mean a small turbine gt30 or a gt28 frame?

Andy_Mac said:
Not overly clued up on this matter but is it really possible to compare them in this direct manner. Don't quite understand how it would be possible. Surely it will accurately relate to turbo's within a manufacturers range but not apply to comparing very different turbo's

Aren't they giving rather different results? A/R is a ratio of A and R where cm^2 is a volume. Polka pickle ones are a good example where the inlet/ outlet is huge but housing is still quite small. So unless either A or R remains a constant between different turbo's, which it doesn't then how does this comparrison work out for varying turbo designs

So is A/R infact a ratio that can have varying sizes where cm^2 is a particular size, aka specific volume housing? Or am I just going off on a tangent that makes zero sense to anyone else :/

Ive always heard the same from actual experts hence the q. Anything garrett or ihi is normally expressed in ar where mhi prefer cm.

KingCole said:
270kw on pump is quite normal for 1.5XTRs at ~23psi. I would love to see the dyno plot and boost plot once it is tuned. Best street setup in my opinion for ej207s and stock location turbo.

Good guess! 268.91wkw @ 23 psi 6200rpm/456nm torque at 4770.

Ill post up the dyno tomorrow but its a similar shape from my old tune, peaky mid range torque and hp tailing away after 6.5k...but the extra 70kw/80nm makes a big difference. Glad I shelled out for this turbo, spool is pretty good.

Anyone want to buy a VF49 with 35,000kms or stock sti intercooler :P

Nikk10']Good guess! 268.91wkw @ 23 psi 6200rpm/456nm torque at 4770.

Ill post up the dyno tomorrow but its a similar shape from my old tune, peaky mid range torque and hp tailing away after 6.5k...but the extra 70kw/80nm makes a big difference. Glad I shelled out for this turbo, spool is pretty good.

Anyone want to buy a VF49 with 35,000kms or stock sti intercooler :P

Nice! I bet that would be a blast to drive on the street. Yeap it is expected to fall off after 6.5K but I have seen the 2.5XTR hold more power up top and full boost hits a few hundred rpm later than 1.5XTR. For stock block and daily driving, I would choose 1.5XTR all the way.

[quote name='evowrx said:

Guessing its the smaller turbine gt3071 then. Thats what i based my predictions on lol. Dyno sheet?

Yeap it is smaller than GT/X3071 but a very punchy turbo.

KingCole said:
Nice! I bet that would be a blast to drive on the street. Yeap it is expected to fall off after 6.5K but I have seen the 2.5XTR hold more power up top and full boost hits a few hundred rpm later than 1.5XTR. For stock block and daily driving, I would choose 1.5XTR all the way.

Yeap it is smaller than GT/X3071 but a very punchy turbo.

Just smaller turbine? There is 2 trims of gt30 turbine.

Ya I think the difference between the 1.5 and the 2.5 is the turbine sizing. I don't have a scanner at home so I'll put it up tomorrow at work :D

On the street its perfect for the brakes/suspension (20th Anniversary edition came with some mild suspension upgrades). Torque is great from a 2L, did some pulls against my mate in a 2014 Diesel Audi SQ5 in 4th/5th from 90kms. It was not close with the powerband from 4000->7000 (and weight :P)

Lag is noticeable for me especially in up-shifts but that's mostly because the stock VF49 was so fast to make boost

Nikk10 said:
Ya I think the difference between the 1.5 and the 2.5 is the turbine sizing. I don't have a scanner at home so I'll put it up tomorrow at work :D

On the street its perfect for the brakes/suspension (20th Anniversary edition came with some mild suspension upgrades). Torque is great from a 2L, did some pulls against my mate in a 2014 Diesel Audi SQ5 in 4th/5th from 90kms. It was not close with the powerband from 4000->7000 (and weight :P)

Lag is noticeable for me especially in up-shifts but that's mostly because the stock VF49 was so fast to make boost

Do you know when you are hitting 23 psi in 4th gear? Thanks

Sure, but only got the dyno sheet with no PSI/injector duty measurements. Hans @ E&H told me that 23 was peak boost.

I'll see if they have them handy. I can check manually but that's like 160k's and I've got to read off a bar gauge. From memory today it hits 1.5+ bar in the early 6's before fading off. Doesnt go past 1.5bar for that long, but since my old tune was like 1.3-1.4 so under the big readout on a defi gauge for 1.5 bar I was paying attention

That torque curve looks like an ej25. Think the bigger turbine in the same housing wouldve given better fruit for similar spool. Or a .63 with bigger turbine. Those cats will be having that effect tho and limiting power/torque with high egbp. Be interesting to see the difference without cats bet it would be quicker from 4.5k-.

Put on the boost graph on the same link.

Bigger turbines is a blouch 2.5xtr in that line of turbo. In retrospect maybe I should have gone for that one, but it got fairly negative reviews for producing extremely similar power for more lag. Either way I'm pretty happy, it's a great turbo for street driving. I'll put it down the quarter soon to find out how it really goes

Nikk10 said:
Put on the boost graph on the same link.

Bigger turbines is a blouch 2.5xtr in that line of turbo. In retrospect maybe I should have gone for that one, but it got fairly negative reviews for producing extremely similar power for more lag. Either way I'm pretty happy, it's a great turbo for street driving. I'll put it down the quarter soon to find out how it really goes

You should be able to run mid/late 11s with that setup depending on your driving and launch. The 2.5XTR is a great turbo and so far I haven't seen any negative reviews but maybe because most people put these on 2.5L engines so the extra displacement helps with the spool.

Had a look at the graph and that spools feckin slow for a 2.0L if the run was done in 4th gear. Did your tuner say why this is spooling almost 1000 rpm slower than expected?

KingCole said:
You should be able to run mid/late 11s with that setup depending on your driving and launch. The 2.5XTR is a great turbo and so far I haven't seen any negative reviews but maybe because most people put these on 2.5L engines so the extra displacement helps with the spool.

Had a look at the graph and that spools feckin slow for a 2.0L if the run was done in 4th gear. Did your tuner say why this is spooling almost 1000 rpm slower than expected?

Not sure if the Blouch is suppose to be similar to my GT3071R but it does seem slightly more laggy, mines single scroll too...

Here's my boost graph below -

zjmwq2cu.n4f.jpg

Boost itself means nothing nor the onset of it. Look at the torque and power curves. Wheres nikks boost graph cant find link to it? Yours doesnt seem out of the ballpark d1style not far enough to be a big issue. Power wise nikks seems ok seen better but its only a dyno bet it "boosts" quicker on the road.

D1Style said:
Not sure if the Blouch is suppose to be similar to my GT3071R but it does seem slightly more laggy, mines single scroll too...

Here's my boost graph below -

Your turbo is bigger and it still spools sooner. There is no way the 1.5XTR should be spooling that slow.