Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

CEL code 65 and 66

tydon

That's a sign

In test mode it's meant to open and close that valve completely - not the wastegate, the exhaust control valve (the massive bugger). Should make a sound like darth vader breathing, and has quite a bit of movement to it.

The primary actuator (the wastegate) won't move as it needs boost pressure to push it open, but the ECV uses vacuum on one side so can still be pulled open in test mode even with the engine off, that's what the big vacuum tank in the passengers' guard is for

Sorry it's hard to do by guesswork and text, what you call not much I might say is heaps and vice versa and could still be unrelated to the problem you have - don't mean to muck you round just hate seeing fix-by-replace

No no not that, my query I guess is if that secondary valve is stuck open or half open, it'd bugger up boost on the primary alone. It might not be a physical problem with the turbo but something with the solenoid thingys which work all the black magic of the sequential system

Hopefully someone local will pipe up and give you a hand with it, it won't be the end of the world and turbos for these are pretty cheap.

For what it's worth as your first turbo car you got the one which has the most bastard setup of them all, it's half the reason this model gets such a bad rap. A lot of mechanics throw their hands up at these things but it's not bad once you get an understanding of just how it works, would be good in this case to rule the turbo itself out tho

... the way it works is if that valve is half open, or open at the wrong time, the primary turbo won't make boost, then the car still tries to switch into "twin mode" - and sounds like it might be sort of making some boost by the end of it all? But hard to say. A stuffed turbo would give the same symptoms, so would a big air leak post-turbo, and probably half a dozen other things... Good ruck

Hi marky the gasket between the ecv valve and turbo from the ****ty gauge I'm borrowing I'm getting roughly 0.5 bar boost on primary side but it feels like I hit a wall a 5k and check light came on but this morn on way to work I wound it out slowly and managed to get secondary to kick in a little. So il check over all hoses incase I've knoxked something off

Hi Ross it was a big puff of white smoke when I started it but quickly dispersed then all ok and I replace the bov for the secondary turbo it seems to be pulling a lot better on primary but I think I need to get a better boost gauge and I haven't really been able to get much boost happening due to traffic

So update on my codes 65/66, turns out my aftermarket headers are syms equal length (parallel only) so after all that and more mucking around I can't even try the sequential setup with a .8mm restrictor pill in hose 1. However, seems that earlier in the thread when I changed those vac hoses around really did get rid of the codes, still haven't had any come up since.

Hi guys since my last post I haven't had the White smoke anymore but since I've fixed the secondary turbo my boost has dropped to less than .5 bar. The primary has become slower to pick up but I can rev it out and get secondary to kick in without the cel light coming on so I must be heading in the right direction but confused as to where I've lost my boost and double checked everything ?????

I feel like there's more than one thing wrong here

That boost level is what the wastegate opens at, either the car is delibaeratly not raising it to normal levels (as in, it thinks there is a problem still) -or- there is also a fault with the boost solenoid in the front guard

Put it into test mode, listen for if that solenoid is clicking, it's tucked kinda in behind the battery inside the guard

I'm really wondering if someone has tootooed with the hoses or something at some point? Maybe there's something missing, or blocked, or leaking?

as a quick test, try unplugging hose 23 (I think it is?) - the one which tees off from the T piece between the turbo and wastegate. That introduces a big leak into the boost control and *should* have you seeing upwards of 15psi, if you see no change then we know there is an additional problem - if it does shoot upwards then we know it's just boost control related. If it does shoot upwards just don't keep your foot up it, potential to learn what the inside of an ej20 looks like

Hi marky thanks for that I'll give it a try tommorow when I drove it earlier today it went really well boosting .5 on primary only just got it to click in secondary before I had to slow down but it felt good but then after doing what I needed to do I went for another drive tried it again but boost was up the Sh,,,t again and cel light came on but I was to pissed to see what codes it threw tommorow is another day I've almost had it with this car already