Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Just got a tune, need help explaining what the plots mean.

nickch

As I had some changes under the hood prior to tune, we could not get a proper base run to compare.

NOTE: The bottom plot is the base tune running at wastegate pressure.

1175210_10151847394411605_986703732_n.jp

Car:

V7 GDA WRX.

Stock TD04-13T

Stock Injectors

3" turbo back exhaust

Turbo Inlet Pipe + ZeroSports after MAF pipe - Snorkel

Pickup and driveability feels very good now, however, pulling at high gear at low RPMs show boost doesn\'t really pick up as fast anymore.

Scenario: going up hill, at 60 km/h on 4th gear. Boost stays at 5psi, and picks up a lot slower than it used it.

Would this be expected?

loner']

The plot means dick. How does it feel?

[quote name='nickch said:

Pickup and driveability feels very good now, however, pulling at high gear at low RPMs show boost doesn\'t really pick up as fast anymore.

Scenario: going up hill, at 60 km/h on 4th gear. Boost stays at 5psi, and picks up a lot slower than it used it.

Would this be expected?

nickch said:

Would this be expected?

I would expect it to better all round... but tbh... you\'ve got to pick the right gear...

loner']

[quote name='nickch said:

Would this be expected?

/quote]

I would expect it to better all round... but tbh... you\'ve got to pick the right gear...

Yup, thats what I\'ve been told..

I would miss the anticipation of boost kicking in though.. ;)

Spent a bit more time driving tonight.. and I reckon it could just be (inverse) placebo effect.

In the right gear, it really pulls well regardless of load!

TD04 running out of puff is true..

And its almost maxing out my TMIC cooling capacity at that boost levels.

I reckon there is a little bit more in there, but my injectors are maxed.

IIRC, they are either 380 or 420s.. not too sure!

Re: bigger turbo, I\'m not looking at spending any more money on engine performance for now.

A new turbo would set me back quite a bit more including supporting mods on top of another tune.

Might as well have just bought an STi instead.. :-[

Engine is most likely staying the way it is for now, and focus on handling which equals more fun on track ;)

• General Member
 evowrx said:

TMIC will have way more in it its heatsoak that is the issue with them.

This^ mines running 20 PSI 198 odd KW no issues. Tuner said it could handle plenty more but my injectors were maxed.

Did you have a ducted fan on the Intercooler? We tried running just a fan with bonnet shut but temps got massive. Then we ducted the fan to the IC and no more issues. Solid as a rock driving to, a couple degrees above ambient at cruise with no big increases unless you sit idling.

Johnnynz said:

This^ mines running 20 PSI 198 odd KW no issues. Tuner said it could handle plenty more but my injectors were maxed.

Did you have a ducted fan on the Intercooler? We tried running just a fan with bonnet shut but temps got massive. Then we ducted the fan to the IC and no more issues. Solid as a rock driving to, a couple degrees above ambient at cruise with no big increases unless you sit idling.

Johnny: what car is this on?

Did not have a duct to the TMIC. Spraying some water on it before and during the run solved any issues.

Getting an STi scoop, and potentially DIY a sprayer solution for track days is probably next on the list.

nickch said:

IIRC, they are either 380 or 420s.. not too sure!

Re: bigger turbo, I\'m not looking at spending any more money on engine performance for now.

A new turbo would set me back quite a bit more including supporting mods on top of another tune.

Might as well have just bought an STi instead.. :-[

Engine is most likely staying the way it is for now, and focus on handling which equals more fun on track ;)

Turbo wouldve cost $2-300 and netted you another 20kw+ with a nicer curve no supporting mods required. Easier to do it all in one hit tuning aint cheap. Strange on the injectors considering 440cc gives 220wkw. WWOnder what they are?

Honestly I\'d say that\'s probably a fair level/tune for a road driven car which is 90% stock

The TMIC even with water sprayed on will be fricken cooking after a full throttle pull with no air - it will be just a "heat sink" for the little TD04

Remember those turbos are not big and will superheat the charge air past a point - 180kW I\'d say is probably pretty reasonable to expect - that\'s approx stock V7 sti levels so I\'d roll with it

I\'m guessing that\'s your boost graph you can see in behind the photo? If it is you can absolutely see the little turbo falling away the whole way up - past this point its very much diminishing gains unless like you say you go to larger turbos etc - at which point like you say, got to wonder about pouring $ in vs just buying an sti outright

Will still see off the majority of road cars - its easy to lose sight of just how quick a car is with that sort of power when just comparing dyno graphs. You\'d prob see a high 12 sec 1/4 mile (if so inclined) with that sort of go-fastness which not long ago was pretty out-there for a daily driver

your tune is superior at every point and will pull more everywhere. sure it crashes earlier but thats normal where you try to bring on little turbos earlier, they crash sooner.

it crashes earlier but at every point your tq is greater than the wg pressure. so it will feel relatively different based on the new \'pull\' factor at any place on your curve. hands down its going to be a faster car.

id be well happy with that sort of tune / result.

Marky']

I\'m guessing that\'s your boost graph you can see in behind the photo? If it is you can absolutely see the little turbo falling away the whole way up - past this point its very much diminishing gains unless like you say you go to larger turbos etc - at which point like you say, got to wonder about pouring $ in vs just buying an sti outright

[quote name='funkytown said:

your tune is superior at every point and will pull more everywhere. sure it crashes earlier but thats normal where you try to bring on little turbos earlier, they crash sooner.

it crashes earlier but at every point your tq is greater than the wg pressure. so it will feel relatively different based on the new \'pull\' factor at any place on your curve. hands down its going to be a faster car.

id be well happy with that sort of tune / result.

Good spotting on that boost curve in the back. Didn\'t realise it was there!

Regarding points running out of puff, and TMIC having to cool an even hotter intake charge, fully agree and are the biggest points IMO.

Cheers for the input!

• General Member
 nickch']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

/quote]

Johnny: what car is this on?

Did not have a duct to the TMIC. Spraying some water on it before and during the run solved any issues.

Getting an STi scoop, and potentially DIY a sprayer solution for track days is probably next on the list.

V7 Intercooler on a v5. My tuner had some ducting to run the fan to the TMIC to better simulate road conditions. We found bonnet closed with the fan running and relying on just the scoop wasnt even close to road temp, it was way to hot.

VF22Dyno_zps3111bc79.jpg

We found this setup on the dyno equated to the same as road conditions. Cooling is a v8 STI scoop and the bigger v7 splitter under the bonnet to let more air in. Should be very similar to what you have if your v7 except my scoop is a tad bigger.

With the bonnet closed and no ducting the Intake temps spiked to 60+ Deg with ambient being about 16 deg. Using that ducting we saw about 18 Deg rising to 20-21 deg which matches what I see on the road also.

Johnny: We tried some form of ducting (using some cardboard to direct air to the scoop), but wasn\'t working out too well. We ended up spraying water on the TMIC, sparingly to cool it down.

I\'ve got a V7 STi splitter, but the scoop is still a WRX one.

I\'ve got a V7 STi scoop coming in and just needs to be resprayed. Will definitely help, but still worried about STi scoop on a plain ol WRX.. -_-

loner: After spending some more time with the car, it definitely feels a lot better all round. Am definitely pleased with the result.

I do believe there is still +0.5 - +1 psi to chase as the turbo peaks out at around 15psi, then tapers off to 14psi

I\'d would normally agree that the TD04 is too small, but have seen TD04s holding up to 16.8 psi up to 4.5-5k rpm..

But that really comes down to many more variables so I\'m not really bothering too much on the 0.5-1psi. ;)