Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Johnnynz said:
I have the second one, its held 20 PSI for about 2 years now no issues.

But the second one is a non branded, surprisingly cheap bov.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-792790315.htm

this should bolt straight on right. Did you buy yours from trade-me or a performance store? Let me know, cheers.

kwi_fozze said:
My v7 wagon knocked like f**k on 98 with a bit of heat soak.

Also had a hks ssqv on the 7, didnt have issues with it stalling / stumbling idle because of the design of them. Gfb are good, but imho a bov is no good unless you go for a speed density tune, because that calculates manifold pressure instead of measuring airflow. But they a bastard to set up.

If running dov, you also loose response

fair enough but the SSQV's are around $395 .. don't want to spend that much on a simple bov. Cheers.

kwi_fozze said:
My v7 wagon knocked like f**k on 98 with a bit of heat soak.

Also had a hks ssqv on the 7, didnt have issues with it stalling / stumbling idle because of the design of them. Gfb are good, but imho a bov is no good unless you go for a speed density tune, because that calculates manifold pressure instead of measuring airflow. But they a bastard to set up.

If running dov, you also loose response

so you reckon, don't get a BOV?..

• General Member
 uwa8nc said:
But the second one is a non branded, surprisingly cheap bov.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-792790315.htm

this should bolt straight on right. Did you buy yours from trade-me or a performance store? Let me know, cheers.

I am using the same el cheapo one, I think I only paid $50 plus postage. The plan was to change it but it hasnt given me a problem so its still there.

Kiwi Fozze will give you better advice on whether atmo venting is right for you, my setup is very different to yours, v5 WRX, v7 STI Intercooler, Link ECU etc. etc.

I reckon keep recirc valve, but do the snorkel delete and drop a ram pipe down behind your spotlight cover (i've got an old set of covers if you want to drill a hole, pm me) and it'll give you an audible but not obnoxiously loud sound, plus keep the car running nice

• Admin
 tydon said:
Would a td06 20g be to laggy on on a standard v3/4 setup?

Define "too laggy"

Yes it will be balls to drive. The engine isn't strong enough to make use of the extra flow so you'll be waiting around forever only to run about 7psi.

tydon said:
Would a td06 20g be to laggy on on a standard v3/4 setup?

What he said.

It will be awesome if its a good turbo not ching and you throw a link and tune at it. You will be limited by your block and injectors after that so would have to run low boost which makes it a bit soggy.

SpeedySub said:

Throttle body spacers? Does anyone know if they are worth it? do they help in any way. I have been reading up on a few sites, most say they don't really do much. But I am thinking of getting one made (looking at 3D printing). Do I bother?

manifold spacers yes. Throttle body I really don't see any point

ADIKT said:
manifold spacers yes. Throttle body I really don't see any point

I will be adding the manifold spacers at a later stage. Most of the throttle body spacers look quite narrow (12mm or so), I was wondering if I increased this to maybe 30/50mm would this make a difference. It seems that you may get an increase/shift of torque with the spacer, so a longer one should help? as I said I may make one up and see what happens.

• Guest locked this topic